mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
MQ2 Pumper!

IMHO, it's all about what is important to you, how you want to live, and where you want to be in life 5, 10, 15, 20+ years from now. Your priorities will align themselves with your personal dreams, goals, values, and vision for your life.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
drg
Banned

How in the world do you get to $1000/mo just playing?
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Yeah, paintball is a very expensive hobby, which is why I had to promise the wife I would only ever buy one marker setup and just continue to use that (CCI Phantom). I make decent enough money but I just can't afford $100 for a day for paintball. I bring my Phantom, about 150 rounds (which is about $5.00 in paint) and make a day out of it.
MrEcted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I got a nice summer job and have been spending... well recklessly...

My advice. Do what you love, do what you need, and learn how to make a buck.

You could always get a different hobby... Like... Um... Knitting...
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Play less paintball, get better education, get better job, be able to afford to spend more on paintball (and other fun stuff, like firearms, hookers, and cocaine).

That's the Mayvik Recipe for Success.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Beccolter Send a message via MSN to Beccolter Send a message via Yahoo to Beccolter Send a message via Skype™ to Beccolter

Thanks for the advice everyone, its appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
Or, you could find a rich guy who will allow you to indulge yourself.
Excellent plan, dear fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee McGee View Post
While, yes, the amount of money you have spent on paintball has been a little grand, and, yes, you should probably start toning down the amount of money that goes towards paintball, please do not under-estimate the significance paintball has left on your life. You have a hobby that you put a lot of time and effort into, which lets you go out to tournaments and scenarios around the country, where you meet different people, build lots of connections, make a lot of memories, and to top it all off, you honestly enjoy playing paintball, a sport that is physically and mentally challenging. This has had a profoundly positive effect on your life, something most people don't notice until they lose it. Don't think that just because you would've had all this cash that your life would be going better. Do you really think that if you had the chance to go back in time and choose again, you'd go against all the friends, memories, and joys that paintball has provided you?

It's always been my opinion that people are much too focused on status, and "growing up," always putting the "American dream" over their own personal dreams. Take comfort into the fact that you've found something that makes you happy enough to have put so much time and effort into, something very few people are willing to do and would be very jealous of. While you could cut down on certain aspects of your paintballing, I personally don't see anything wrong with what you've done. You've supported your self and dream quite well, and there will eventually come a time where you will choose to change. It seems you don't want to yet, so why fight to make yourself less happy?
Excellent point. I know that I would be bored out of my skull without paintball, and have far fewer friends. I know that I would find another hobby which may not be quite as expensive, but probably would still eat a large chunk of my money.

I'm spending so much money now because I'm trying to get into competitive paintball... aka NPPL 5man unlimited paint pump. I think it's important to have goals in life, and this is one of my goals. I don't want to give it up just to save money. That said, i wish there were larger competitions that cost less money
Beccolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Just curious...

Can you give us a breakdown of your monthly paintball spending? I could play 4x's a month and stay around $100-$120 ($15 * 4 for field fees + $40-$60 for a case of paint), sadly I have not played since last November.
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I also believe it's what matters to you, and really no one else. Was that grand money well spent in your eyes? If not then maybe you need to adjust your spending on paintball. If you feel it was worth every penny you spent, then it was worth it, because you feel/think so! I've been sitting on tons of guns and gear for the past few years and I feel all the gear I've bought has been worth it to me. I've sacrificed playing paintball because I put my job before nearly everything else is my life. What did that get me? Overworked and burnt out. I truly believe that if I had been able to play even a handful of times a year vs the once a year I have been doing I would not have gotten so beat up and burnt out at my last job because paintball is my ultimate stress release, and I'm a rather stressful job environment. In short, if it's worth it to you and keeps you happy, keep it up! The only reason to switch is if you feel like you've wasted time/money/energy.
Sheazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Beccolter Send a message via MSN to Beccolter Send a message via Yahoo to Beccolter Send a message via Skype™ to Beccolter

I don't regret it now, I think its well worth my while. I just dont want to regret it when I'm paying college loans later.
That said, my mom decided to ban me from pb for a while because she felt I was spending too much money. She made me go back after 2 weeks because I was stressed out and cranky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper97 View Post
Just curious...

Can you give us a breakdown of your monthly paintball spending?
It really depends on the time of year.
It costs around $100/day for me to play. Thats $25 entrance, $50 field paint, $25 on water and food.

This month it's:
Drill once a week X $50 team pricing (paint included) = $200
One 'rec day' and a reball practice = $100
Total so far: $300
Pumpers Pandemonium= $300
NPPL DC= $600
Total: $1200

When I'm not playing speedball its:
Rec day at least every weekend X $100 = $500
Three reball drills X $25 = $75
Team-Run Scenario game = $75 (gas and food, don't pay for anything else)
Random Big Game = $150
Gas for all this when the nearest field is an hour away= $100
Total: $950

Winter:
Indoor Speedball every other week x $150= $300
Outdoor Scenario once a month= $100
Total: $400
This is when I put any money I have towards school or buying new gear.

Last edited by Beccolter; 07-08-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Beccolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

College loans do stink, but ya "gotta pay to play" so to speak... my loan is more than a weekly paycheck which royally stinks!
Sheazer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone