mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Beccolter Send a message via MSN to Beccolter Send a message via Yahoo to Beccolter Send a message via Skype™ to Beccolter

Paintball & Money Woes

I just tallied up my earnings vs my spendings for July, because I'm looking at going to Pumpers and then NPPL DC. As I sit here staring at these massive numbers, it occurs to me that if I didn't have a paintball hobby, I could afford a whole bunch of stuff. In this case, I'd have enough money for an apartment for myself for a year (and subsequently get in-state tuition for a grand total of a $20,000 savings) I put all the money I've spent on PB this summer towards an apartment.

I make 250 dollars a week, roughly. Thats a $10/hr job where I choose how many hours I work.

As of the 1st, I had $550 in the bank. By August 8 (NPPL DC) I would have made a total of $1500.

Only $75 of that a week goes to spending money. Thats $40 in gas (not nearly enough living in NH), and $20 in food for the week. The other $15 goes to things like hair cuts and random necessities.

The rest of that money goes to paintball. All of it. So 1000 of the 1500 i make in a month goes to paintball. Keep this up, thats $12,000 of the $18,000 I make annually, or 2/3. This is me being conservative about playing, and not counting any gear I may buy (which easily totals around $1,500 a year).

$12,000 is a whole year of community college. I could graduate with my associates with no student loans whatsoever- or do the apartment thing and save $20,000 off my education. But instead, I spend it on paintball.

Think it's a waste? I think that back in the day, knowing this, I never would have started. Now, it's too late.
Beccolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
You need to spend less on paintball and more on something that will benefit you in the future.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

CCM Fan
You only live once so do what you love.

Just make sure to save a little for retirement
HardDrinkinLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Last Place

Get rid of the T2 and play stockclass. Also try drilling with reballs. Both those things will save you money and still allow you to play as much as you do now.

And just wait, I look and my paycheck and my families expenses and I am glad I can eat let alone play paintball 3-5 times a year.

Good times...
Bradys71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Out of Options

CCM Fan
$20 per week on food is seriously not enough, imo.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Beccolter Send a message via MSN to Beccolter Send a message via Yahoo to Beccolter Send a message via Skype™ to Beccolter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
$20 per week on food is seriously not enough, imo.
Well, I'm a vegetarian. We also belong to a bunch of farms around here, so I trade work for food (Aka, milk cows, get milk). So veggies and dairy are taken care of. I also don't eat out, unless its like Mcdonalds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradys71 View Post
Get rid of the T2 and play stockclass. Also try drilling with reballs. Both those things will save you money and still allow you to play as much as you do now.

And just wait, I look and my paycheck and my families expenses and I am glad I can eat let alone play paintball 3-5 times a year.

Good times...
Lol, I have an SC phantom... but the t2 is so much more fun. I have been using reball a lot, its about 1/2 the price. right now I try to only spend $50 a week on paintball drills and the like. Its still a lot of money... but necessary if I'm going to be competitive, which I want to be.
Beccolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
That one kid

Dang that's a lot................. And only $20 a week on food!?!?!?!
Where do you store all that gear?

My Feedback
Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Out of Options

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccolter View Post
Well, I'm a vegetarian. We also belong to a bunch of farms around here, so I trade work for food (Aka, milk cows, get milk). So veggies and dairy are taken care of. I also don't eat out, unless its like Mcdonalds.
Ah well that explains it!

Quote:
Lol, I have an SC phantom... but the t2 is so much more fun.
I couldn't agreee more! It's been my primary since the begining of the season!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

You only live once Becc. Eventually, the desires for other things will slowly errode your Paintball expenditure.

Or, you could find a rich guy who will allow you to indulge yourself.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

While, yes, the amount of money you have spent on paintball has been a little grand, and, yes, you should probably start toning down the amount of money that goes towards paintball, please do not under-estimate the significance paintball has left on your life. You have a hobby that you put a lot of time and effort into, which lets you go out to tournaments and scenarios around the country, where you meet different people, build lots of connections, make a lot of memories, and to top it all off, you honestly enjoy playing paintball, a sport that is physically and mentally challenging. This has had a profoundly positive effect on your life, something most people don't notice until they lose it. Don't think that just because you would've had all this cash that your life would be going better. Do you really think that if you had the chance to go back in time and choose again, you'd go against all the friends, memories, and joys that paintball has provided you?

It's always been my opinion that people are much too focused on status, and "growing up," always putting the "American dream" over their own personal dreams. Take comfort into the fact that you've found something that makes you happy enough to have put so much time and effort into, something very few people are willing to do and would be very jealous of. While you could cut down on certain aspects of your paintballing, I personally don't see anything wrong with what you've done. You've supported your self and dream quite well, and there will eventually come a time where you will choose to change. It seems you don't want to yet, so why fight to make yourself less happy?

Last edited by Whee McGee; 07-08-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone