mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Of course the industry had a massive BPS race that kicked off around 01/02. The most popular products of this era were the Halo B, and the WAS equalizer board. These 2 products made 18-22 BPS the norm in areas where pro style play was common. Trigger bounce and "team only" cheat codes were common. Ramping was off and running at that point as well. It was illegal in NPPL/ Pan Am settings, so it was common to have trigger settings designed to hide the feature. Legalized ramping was in fact designed to decrease the rate of fire in the PSP, as Jerry Braun saw the massive rates becoming detrimental to the movement in the game, making it less viewer friendly.

Pure trigger skills left this sport when electros became the marker of choice. There are all kinds of things you can do to increase a players ROF on an electro that have zero to do with a players skill. However 8 to 10 BPS sustained on a slide trigger cocker was once a respected part of a seasoned players skill set.
oh yeah, i agree completely. ramping did eliminate the many trigger cheats for the most part and it brought serious declines in trigger and gun speeds.

for the most part though, the camo ramping and such that was in only the upper tier. not to mention, you still had to walk the trigger with cheating ramping, because otherwise it would be obvious you were ramping. the rest of us had to make due with dropping the debounce and walking the trigger.
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerpunk View Post
oh yeah, i agree completely. ramping did eliminate the many trigger cheats for the most part and it brought serious declines in trigger and gun speeds.

for the most part though, the camo ramping and such that was in only the upper tier. not to mention, you still had to walk the trigger with cheating ramping, because otherwise it would be obvious you were ramping. the rest of us had to make due with dropping the debounce and walking the trigger.

I am with you except for a single detail. That the camo ramping was "upper tier". It may have varied from region to region. Where I live and play it was entirely common for most high end setups to be maxed out BPS wise.

Of course at that time there were probably 12-15 fields within 2 hours of my home. I accept the fact that such a huge concentration of players (and well financed players at that) is the exception, not the rule.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Ramping helped me before I really had the ability to shoot a electro. Once I had learned I stopped using it, and eventually I was shooting semi at the same rate of fire as I had going.

This is the tenth line of my signature
foughtwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cloud Cuckoolander

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerpunk View Post
ramping has crippled the newest generation of players who simply don't know how to walk a trigger. its pretty pathetic.
what is this walking? stepping on your gun is bad mmmkay...

The Llama Cavalry Has Arrived!!!
I'm a PC, and LINUX was my idea!
Timmycuddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Real Nurse

Send a message via AIM to nickydp33

Brass N Wood Fan
I use my g3 I bought for my mom to use on occasion when my paint supply is to great so I ramp a bunch of it off
nickydp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I kind of disagree with the original post here... Saying ramping helps you learn to walk a trigger is akin to saying that listening to books on tape helps you learn to read. It does the work for you without really encouraging you to do your part any better.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to druid

The only thing I like programmable boards for is tweaking settings for efficiency gains. My over-modded Ions are prime examples of that. Both are capable of 25bps...yet NEITHER have ever left "semi" for any kind of game play. Did I fart around with modes in the workshop? Sure...but once they left that work area, they were back to semi.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Sly Fox Cyndicate

Send a message via AIM to criticalhammer

Fan of EMR
The only "electro" I own is a 1 of a kind electro pneumag which I've used once so far. I don't use electros because the people I play with don't require me to play with electros. I don't play in big tournaments nor will I ever. If I have to ill use my automag.

Ive always viewed electros like exotic cars. You don't need one because you sure as hell wont be using its full potential (like all those claims that markers can go 1 billion bps even though fields cap ROF). Ill stick to my classic carburated engines while the rest of the world uses the new and fancy. In the end they get you to the same place.
A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous, and the valor of the brave. But all of these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling. Discourses on Galactic Leadership

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks

R.I.P Bill Hicks
criticalhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone