mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rock-N-Roll Cradle

I used to play paintball years ago and am getting back into it, and I remember one of the guys I played with had a cradle on one of his guns that he said was a "rock-n-roll cradle".

It was a pretty nice cradle and I would like one for one of my guns. It was a 2 piece system, the cradle itself was machined aluminum that wrapped around the tank and clamped at the bottom and there was a welded bar on top of the clamp portion that would attach to a block mounted on the bottom of the gripframe of the gun. The the welded piece on the clamp would slide back and forth through the block on the gun so you could adjust exactly where you wanted the tank and 2 pins held the bottom clamp assembly to the block attached to the gun.

The problem is, I have no idea if that is even the real name of the cradle or if it was just a one off cradle some one with access to a machine shop made and he somehow came across. So has anyone heard of this?
imjaredandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I did a quick google search, and over at PBReview, there is a guy named "Puddleglum" who did a review in 2001 that mentions it being used on a 114ci Nitro Duck

WDP Lok Sok Skins | Paintball Review | pbreview.com

Since it was on a nitroduck, if you google image search "nitroduck cradle", you might find something that might look similar.

Considering I keep hearing the word "custom" with it, you might be searching for an extremely limited quantity item, made 10 years ago.

You might have better luck facebook'n the player you used to know, and seeing if he still has it LOL
Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I did a quick google search, and over at PBReview, there is a guy named "Puddleglum" who did a review in 2001 that mentions it being used on a 114ci Nitro Duck

WDP Lok Sok Skins | Paintball Review | pbreview.com

Since it was on a nitroduck, if you google image search "nitroduck cradle", you might find something that might look similar.

Considering I keep hearing the word "custom" with it, you might be searching for an extremely limited quantity item, made 10 years ago.

You might have better luck facebook'n the player you used to know, and seeing if he still has it LOL
To put it simply, he and I aren't really on speaking terms. So, it's looking like I'm probably gonna have to machine my own. I was hoping I could find some info on it, but they do seem to be pretty rare.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

also ebay had quite a few vintage cradles up for sale also

I'd double check the hydro date on the tank you plan on using this with, I'm sure it's WELL outside of hydro as well LOL

Can I suggest a Ninja Tank & CP ASA?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, both my tanks are out of hydro, as well as my SCUBA tanks. All will be getting hydroed soon.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

just as a heads up, they are selling brand new Crossfire 68/4500 tanks for like... $100 over at ANSGear. Add a cheap ASA for $20, and you're into a brand new tank for $120

I know some of your vintage gear might have some sentimental value, but you are risking alot with regs that are out of service, without repair parts. Standards, burst disks, blowout holes, and safety have come a LONG way since the early 2000's and I'd hate to have you ruin a day of play, or damage some equipment because you thought you'd save some money trying to restore something like an old air tank.

For me, tanks are like the tires on your car. You use them till they don't have any life in them (discontinued regs, out of hydro tanks, etc), and you have them destroyed and buy new ones.

I'm sure you know you what your doing, but the thought of trying to use a 10 year old tank kinda makes me cringe. That's the ONE thing I wouldn't mess around with. At least take advantage of the reg swap programs that most tank companies offer with the hydro service (Ninja, CP, Guerilla, Crossfire), where you can get a new reg for around $40 to $60, if your tank passes the hydro inspection.

I've taken apart some paintball products that were 8+ years old, and those orings don't look too promising. Many of them come apart like a saltine when you hold them in your hand. Just the thought of that trying to hold back 4500psi certainly makes me want to stand back.

Just looking out for ya bro!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Paintball - Cheap Paintball Guns, Gear and Paintball Equipment
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Dude. I would call the player and ask him.

Even if you aren't on speaking terms. What's he going to do? Hang up? Anything more than that would be ridiculously immature. And worth telling us about.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have something similar, however I think its just a sliding drop. You would still need an asa. Ill try and find the hideous beast and get a pic of it

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
I don't wanna die, I'm a god, why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies, all around is laid waste.
And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death.
p-bpat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone