mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I hope you're talking about some sort of tournament speedball I've never and will never be involved in,
OP is talking about speedball and leagues and how it's a sport. So for all intents and porpoises we, as a community, don't usually talk about the tiny leagues that consist of 5 teams in Bohuck County. We all usually talk about NPPL, Xball, etc. The big leagues with national draw. Since after all the NPPL rules are generally used by every one else any ways it just goes without saying that those are the leagues people make the assumptions to.

And to take a preventative strike against future misunderstanding about the posts' intent. When I criticize speedball players playing on, that doesn't mean I think they're the only part of paintball's multitude of flavors that cheat. So we can scratch off that assumption also.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Like I said, some sort of tournament speedball I've never and will never be involved in. The now deceased NPPL, for good reason.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
NPPL is actually going strong...
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Like I said, some sort of tournament speedball I've never and will never be involved in. The now deceased NPPL, for good reason.
hmm... nppl...
Let me google that for you
shows how much you pay attention
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOO BAD

feedback-
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
GENEROUSLY SPONSORED BY
DSS PAINTBALL
APX gear
Davis Paintball Center
bigchuck707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuck707 View Post
i can answer those, because (especially where i live) without paintball being recognized, people don't know about it. Without people knowing about it, it is looked at as dangerous and a nuisance. With it being "a nuisance and dangerous" we get kicked out of every place we try to play (woods around the area because we have no field because NO ONE SEES IT AS A SPORT AROUND HERE) currently i have one spot of woods that i can play in that we haven't been kicked out of and it's about 30 min. away (keep in mind i live in humboldt co. aka surrounded by forest) and the closest ACTUAL field 4 hours away.

THAT'S why it needs to be bigger
THAT'S why it needs to grow
for us who aren't fortunate to have a field nearby
That is fairly laughable. The sport has been viewed as such since the beginning, but that never stopped people before. You have no field because no one has opened one, and you can't blame people owning private property for not allowing you there. It is not other peoples job to supply you with a place to play.

I still fail to see how viewing as a sport will stop a group of players from playing. Have you guys started a club and approached land owners, or do you just roll up to random spots of other peoples land and set up?

Over the last 30+ years it has not been uncommon to drive great distances to play.

There are a plethora of other reasons that can be listed. I grew up in Miami and loved hockey, you know how hard it is to find ice in Miami...

Maybe it is time you all were proactive instead of waiting for someone else to do it. There has to be somewhere close that can be bought or rented for use. But then you have to worry about things like insurance and whatnot, something the current land owners are probably well aware of.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
Over the last 30+ years it has not been uncommon to drive great distances to play.
3000 miles round trip for me and crew to make Spring Pump Event. When a game is worth it the distance is just a hurdle, not a wall.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

It's a hobby for some. A sport for others. Play YOUR game and leave others be to enjoy themselves the way they want to. Most players will gravitate towards like minded players. Some flex in and out of many kinds of playing. It's not a big deal. Watching golf is more entertaining than watching paintball games in my opinion. That's just my opinion I don't need to rag on others to make myself feel more concrete in my choices. I'm ok with it being not so big. The wider you spread a net the more crappy fish that you didn't want to begin with get caught up in your net.

0'sTrilly

MCB FEEDBACK
BringerofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Paintball is Paintball. However, much of the future of the sport WILL depend on those that ignored their "local pros" who said that their $100 gun couldn't shoot out anybody.
So many people have turned away because of that.
The competitiveness of any given player depends so much on what they started playing with. If you start out with a gun that can outshoot anyone and everyone, you will typically disregard anyone that uses a mech, a pump, or anything other than waht you have in your hands. If you start with a mech or a pump, you are more likely to develop the skill to outplay anyone and everyone, whether you can outshoot them or not.
Getting this point across to new players is the hard part.
Think of it like the economic situation. There is such a gap between middle-class and upper-class. Look at the technological differences between an entry-level/rental mech and a touney-ready gadget. There are ways around technology, such as skill, marksmanship, and tactics (sorry, had to). Even so, in this day and age, it takes a great deal more dedication for a newbie to stay with the sport than it did before the advent of microswitches, ramps, new-math, and words we can't pronounce.
If a new player can't feel good about at least one of her/his first 3 trips to the field, they're not coming back. One trip to the speedball field with a $100 gun can make that happen to a new player.

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Quote:
So why does ANYONE bash on speedball? It's the only way this sport is ever going to make it big. To play speedball it requires a lot more athletic ability that any other form. I am willing put put money down that a majority of the people who hate speedball simply are too out of shape to play it and just get frustrated because they can't run as far as the nearest bunker.
People bash speedball because of the attitudes, the equipment, the fashion and the format. It's not for everyone.

It does not require any more athletic ability than any other format. Wiggling your fingers, while strenuous, is not a work out. You should be running, bunkering and sliding in all forms of paintball.

I'm out of shape. I run further and faster in rec ball than I ever did in speedball. I don't like being limited to a postage-stamp sized field.

That said, I'll play either. I love paintball. I don't love the attitudes that come with all styles. I'm just there to play an elaborate game of tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Quote:
hmm... nppl...
Let me google that for you
shows how much you pay attention
oh right, yea. whatever. you're right, I don't give a **** about it.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone