mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Paintball is a sport right?

I'm at a loss here, and if you could please help me out that would be great.

Paintball is a struggling sport right now, and something needs to happen to get it more recognized correct?
The closest form of paintball that people recognize as a sport is on a designated field with teams who have matching uniforms to designate them as a "team" much like any other team sport (football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc.)
Just because the sport didn't start out on a field like this doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Do you think hockey started out on a carved rink with boards and nets? NO! what about football? NO!
Every sport starts out as a bunch of people who get together and play in their back yard or in the forest.

So why does ANYONE bash on speedball? It's the only way this sport is ever going to make it big. To play speedball it requires a lot more athletic ability that any other form. I am willing put put money down that a majority of the people who hate speedball simply are too out of shape to play it and just get frustrated because they can't run as far as the nearest bunker.

Now this has nothing to do with the type of marker used on this field, i fully support pump play on speedball fields, and in the woods for that matter. It seems as though a lot more speedball players are willing to play woodsball than vise-versa.

TO ALL OF THOSE WHO DON'T SUPPORT ALL KINDS OF PAINTBALL-
GET OUT OF THE SPORT, YOU ARE RUINING IT FOR EVERYONE. WE NEED NEW GENERATIONS TO PLAY, IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW INEXPERIENCED THEY ARE, WE ALL STARTED OUT THAT WAY.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOO BAD

feedback-
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
GENEROUSLY SPONSORED BY
DSS PAINTBALL
APX gear
Davis Paintball Center
bigchuck707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
This again?

Paintball is a sport. It's NOT a team sport. It's a leisure sport. Similar to auto racing or golf or.... Bum bum bummmmmmm. Hunting.

In paintball, pretty much every player plays a different game than the next.

Besides, you're setting yourself up for flaming posting the "make it big" junk over here. We've been through that BS once or twice.

If paintball ever "makes it big", it'll be by popular demand. And the more you try to define what paintball should be, the more people walk the other direction.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
When I first started I was a die-hard woods/scenario enthusiast, I ragged on "speedball" all the time, and always said I would never step foot on one of those faux-grass fields with inflatable cover. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I realized the way we played in the woods, might as well be speedball on a larger field, with wooden bunkers. I played on a speedball field and got hooked, now I just refer to myself as a paintballer.
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Smurfs, Gotta Love Them

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I play baseball with some co-workers in a slowpitch league. Is that a sport..NO MLB though is certainly a sport.

If you play to have fun then it's a game. If you play to thumb your nose at your opponents then it's a sport

Proud member of The Peacekeepers & UMSG JTF7
KoolKat's Feedback
KoolKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

The reason speedball gets a bad rap with most people is not the setup of the game, but the use of markers which shoot much faster than a human can on their own. It certainly doesn't help that many teams (certainly not all) consider wiping a perfectly normal part of play.

Want to get paintball more recognized as a sport? More uniform rules, more restrictions.

Limit either the amount of paint on the field or the max RoF, preferably both.

If a team only has 1000 or 2000 balls for a round of 5 man Centerflag, it gets much more interesting. Suddenly it's not just about shooting a lane and having people move up, tactics of when to move and when to shoot come into play and shooting 'a rope' for the entire game is not a viable option.

Limit max RoF on electros to 8bps. Anything over 10bps is absolute overkill anyways.

I won't deny that on the whole, many tournament players are very good and necessary to the sport on the whole, but the current format is not camera-friendly and generally leads to 5 people either shooting the whole time or running the whole time with little in between.

Give me a 5 man Centerflag format with a maximum of 1000 balls per team. That forces decisions of who carries how much, is it really important for a 'front' player to carry a full 200 round share? maybe having the front players toting small mech markers or pistols or even pumps would make more sense.

It would bring a decision making process to the game that isn't currently there, forcing players to decide if it's worth it to take several shots which in all probability won't hit, or if it's better to move, manuver to get a better angle, cover a team mate for a run, etc. Right now, you get players that will take most of a case of paint or more to the field.... for one game. Having people blast at anything that moves isn't a sport.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
This again?

Paintball is a sport. It's NOT a team sport. It's a leisure sport. Similar to auto racing or golf or.... Bum bum bummmmmmm. Hunting.

In paintball, pretty much every player plays a different game than the next.

Besides, you're setting yourself up for flaming posting the "make it big" junk over here. We've been through that BS once or twice.

If paintball ever "makes it big", it'll be by popular demand. And the more you try to define what paintball should be, the more people walk the other direction.
well if you actually read and understood my post it's simply saying don't discriminate. i just focused on speedball because it's the hope of the sport.

feedback-
GENEROUSLY SPONSORED BY
DSS PAINTBALL
APX gear
Davis Paintball Center
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ha!

a 'survival' based game could easily be the 'hope' of the sport too. 40 acres, lots of cameras and 10 people. Dense woods, limited ammunition, there you go.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

physical activity? check. organized? check. competitive? sometimes, check.

competitive tournament paintball is definitely a sport. recreational paintball is just for fun. I like to play a bit of both, mixed with the occasional scenario event. the only sort of tournament paintball I'm really into is 3 man pump... a lot more fun to watch and play IMO, compared to what I was used to in 5 man semi events for years before I got into pump play.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuck707 View Post
i just focused on speedball because it's the hope of the sport.
is that what smart parts was saying??? paintball is way bigger than speedball. get your head out of your arse.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target View Post
The reason speedball gets a bad rap with most people is not the setup of the game, but the use of markers which shoot much faster than a human can on their own. It certainly doesn't help that many teams (certainly not all) consider wiping a perfectly normal part of play.

Want to get paintball more recognized as a sport? More uniform rules, more restrictions.

Limit either the amount of paint on the field or the max RoF, preferably both.

If a team only has 1000 or 2000 balls for a round of 5 man Centerflag, it gets much more interesting. Suddenly it's not just about shooting a lane and having people move up, tactics of when to move and when to shoot come into play and shooting 'a rope' for the entire game is not a viable option.

Limit max RoF on electros to 8bps. Anything over 10bps is absolute overkill anyways.

I won't deny that on the whole, many tournament players are very good and necessary to the sport on the whole, but the current format is not camera-friendly and generally leads to 5 people either shooting the whole time or running the whole time with little in between.

Give me a 5 man Centerflag format with a maximum of 1000 balls per team. That forces decisions of who carries how much, is it really important for a 'front' player to carry a full 200 round share? maybe having the front players toting small mech markers or pistols or even pumps would make more sense.

It would bring a decision making process to the game that isn't currently there, forcing players to decide if it's worth it to take several shots which in all probability won't hit, or if it's better to move, manuver to get a better angle, cover a team mate for a run, etc. Right now, you get players that will take most of a case of paint or more to the field.... for one game. Having people blast at anything that moves isn't a sport.
but see, now you're trying to put too many restrictions, that's like saying "well, receivers can only be 5'10" and have to use the same type of glove so they all have an equal opportunity to catch the football" the whole thing about sports is to gain the upper hand over the competition without cheating.

there is a rof cap...

and as far as wiping... no not many people see that as "just part of the game" sure some people do it (not many pros, that is very regulated in upper divisions), that's like saying steroids are "just part of baseball, football, etc.."

feedback-
GENEROUSLY SPONSORED BY
DSS PAINTBALL
APX gear
Davis Paintball Center

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone