mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Newer Tippmann: The 98 Series

Okay, firstly, I'm a Tippmann fan. They got me into the game, and the really stayed with me for the years I've been playing. There has never been a time where I never had a Tippy, from the 98C to the old and new SL-68's. I've since used autocockers, automags, various forms of electro-flingers, various forms of pumps, from open class to stock class (including my beloved Redux), but I'm seriously contemplating just getting a new 98 to use as my scenario semi. I was toying with the idea of the E-Grip, but batteries and I don't get along, so I pretty much decided on an R/T kit and a centerfeed kit. I do have some questions though.

Firstly, all my Tippies are older, except for the new SL. To those that own the new 98's, how are they holding up? Are they as reliable and rock solid as the old ones are known to be? My biggest concern is the ACT. I'm not a fan of adding new-fangled stuff to an already solid design. Is the ACT proving reliable? Would I be better off without one? How about the R/T? has there been any major changes to that, or is it still the same ol' pneumatic piston?

Just wondering, as I'd like a good ol' 98 that'll sling it when I need it and for nostalgia.

Thanks all!

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

don't have a new tippy, but from just browsing around for this long i get the consensus that the new ones dropped in quality. maybe that's why you're asking in the first place.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
I also heard that the new ones aren't as well built. I think I read that the ones that come in the blister packs at walmarts and similar places are crappy, but ones you can get from a real paintball place are better. You would probably be better off getting a used one from a previous generation here on MCB and fixing it up a bit. They are like $30-60 used anyway.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
I drive the boat.

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

I have a mix of Tippys I use for my rental fleet, I treat them like crap and hey keep chugging along. I haven't had any issues with the ACT guns and the seem to work well. Moby on here bought a 98 from me and had a 98 to Hammerhead adapter made and put a lightened hammer in it and the difference is remarkable.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
There has definitely been a switch in manufacturing processes for the new Tippmanns - they just don't hold up as well as the old ones did. Used to be, you could drag them through the mud, play in the rain, and beat them all to hell & they'd just keep going.

Can't say the same for the ones I've seen in the last few years. I'd recommend checking out BT - they seem to have taken over from a durability standpoint, which makes sense, since it is the same people who made the older markers anyway.

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

I've seen a drop in quality in tippmann markers too. The 98s just don't hold up like they used to.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Into the rabbit hole

Isn't there a substantial amount of plastic in the newer versions as well?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
I'd buy a 98 with the raised lettering milled into the side, but stay away from the badged ones.

"I wanna be as big as a mountain.
I wanna fly as high as the sun.
I wanna know what the rent's like in heaven.
I wanna know
Where the river goes..."
STP

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Apart from "They just don't hold up as well as the old ones do," does anyone have any specific examples of how the newer ones are of lower quality?

I would have no idea myself. I've owned 4 98s, and all of them were 1st-gen.

Judging from this review, the Carver, at least, has some durability issues: Tippmann US Army Carver One
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

I've found the sears don't have the toughness they used to. The springs holding the sear, etc break. Rear bolts round off easier. A few have had leaky valves. I 98 with the ribs on the front I've never taken care of, never cleaned, bought it from Dave from Capital Paintball used. All the internals are original minus the power tube I swapped out for a red JCS tube. That marker still shoots fine and works great.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone