mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

New hotness for the TAG8

Hi all,
Just when I thought I had run out of things to buy, this had to happen:

Right handed black fast-draw, form fitted, having a forward cant(FBI draw) with dual belt loops just like the top pic, OH YES, let the quickdrawing on folks commence!!!
These pics are a veteran leatherworker's first attempts(he just got his TAG), so subsequent versions will be nicer with an even higher grade of leather, he simply used what he had on hand!

I know some folks will want to know where I ordered this beauty(matching mag pouches are in the works as well ), but I'm waiting to find out how he wishes to be contacted(phone, email, etc). I should have an update by tomorrow hopefully, when I get it I'll post it if anyone is interested.

UPDATE: For those who might want to contact Del, his email is delalantaylor@setel.com

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 07-15-2006 at 11:33 AM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, if someone wants to donate a TAG8 to me, i'll be able to make holsters like that too.

the real trick with those is knowing how to hardent the leather without allowing it to shrink too much

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

You're absolutely right WT,
I made myself a double buscadero style belt and rig for my 3357's back in the day that was tooled and everything, it made me proud to wear my own rig but now I'd have to get all the stuff all over again and put up with the trouble. Less than a day's pay seems pretty cool to me now

I can't wait to see the mag pouches!

Rob
Old 07-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

A picture of it actually worn would be nice too.

Good job.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

These are literally not a week old, Sam, his initial post about them was the 10th AgentSmith doesn't let grass die under his feet!

I'll ask him for one though. I'm familiar with where this is going to ride from the style and where the loops are so I didn't think of it. The front of the TAG8 trigger guard will just be even with the bottom of a 2" belt and it will tilt slightly so the barrel points about 3' behind you(FBI guys love that because it handles a car seat almost as well as a thigh rig).

Rob
Old 07-16-2006, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Not bad at all to say the least. Forming that well can be quite difficult. My one concern is rubbing on the marker, as friction fits tend to slowly remove a finish, however I do have to give props as those are very well done.

-Butch
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know how far any of you leather workers are from St. Louis, but I found this listing on craigslist.com the other day.

If you are looking for leather to work with, this guy seems to have a good lot of it that he needs to disperse of quickly (he's moving on around the 25th of July and can't take it with him).

Please email him directly about it, not me!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bar/181670799.html

Quote:
FT: Leathersmith Hobby/Bidness Setup - $1000
Reply to: sale-181670799@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-07-13, 3:21PM CDT

I'm moving in 13 days and don't have enough room in the Accord for 10+ years of leather goods, tools, etc. I'd be open to lots of different trades, so long as the items in question are SMALLish! Laptops, digital cameras, PDAs, XBOX 360s, accordions, I have no idea! make an offer! CONSERVATIVELY $1000+++ worth of stuff here.

I've got a whole bunch of stuff. If you're anywhere close and if you're at all interested, it might be easier to come by and have a look at the leathers and the etc. For the time being, I'll do my best!

I've got a half side-ish of fairly nice 2-3oz vegetable tan, a similar amount of black oil-tan and some shiny black split, a bunch of other aluminum tanned stuff, some pink foil, about 60+ square feet of black and red upholstry leather, a green polished stingray that I paid quite a nice sum for, and some other things I can't remember for now.

As for tools - I've got the CS Osbourne rotary bunch, an Al Stohlman swappable-head punch, an Australian strander, your typical stitch gouges, freehand gouges, edgers, a marble slab, some cutting board things, a few mallets, lots of good dyes and daubers. A whole frigging bunch of D-rings, O-rings, some clasps, a lot of buckles, probably 3000 spots, assorted rivets, buttons, button setters-- Books on whip braiding, purse making, renaissance stuff (SCA) -

It's a bunch of stuff for the new or old leathersmith!

If you'd like to have a look-see, let me know!

Make an offer - why not??
podup365.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hey Sam,
I got that pic of the holster being worn,

mine I ordered will be like this but black and in the finer leather you can see in these pics of the shoulder rig, look at this beauty!

OOH man, that'd look nice with my zeus on the left and my TAG8 on the right.

It looks like Del will be selling these through a 'major paintball provider' sometime soon so I've made sure to get him to do a zeus holster for me(Right hand Crossdraw I'm thinking) before he gets swamped. He's still taking orders for now until things are sure.

Rob
Old 08-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Hey Guys...I stumbled on this forum quite by accident. Imagine my surprise to see a topic about my holsters

Thanks for all the kind words guys and thank you Agent Smith for cheerleading my holsters.A quick background of me. I got into holsters from making knife sheaths for years...I'm a bladesmith/blacksmith too. So, it was a natural progress from knife sheaths to holster work. My previous career I was a police officer, so I always had an interest in well made holsters,as my life did depend on one. I have made a lot of CCW rigs for permit carriers and off duty officers and I have even made duty rigs for one department. I have never had one brought back yet...knock on wood. I take weapon retention and my holsters very seriously,as you can imagine.
I am now out of LE and in sales,working for a large corporation.To keep my sanity I work of the evenings and on weekends making hand-forged knives and hand-welted holsters and the occasional gun/knife repair. Enough of that...
Back to the subject at hand. I do have orders to take me into september. Engler Custom Paintball will be selling and carrying my holster in the very near future...we haven't made any formal announcements,but it is a done deal. I will still be taking orders as well,but depending on how behind I am in might be quicker to go through Engler.
I am still taking orders,but again, there's a growing list. So that's it in a nutshell. I should mention that I have Kydex models made as well for those of you who like that sorta thing...me, I prefer leather,but some do like the near indestuctableness(new word?) of the Kydex,plus the tactical look it gives. In the works are the drop down leg rig and mag holders, plus I can always do custom work for something trully unique.

For those of you who may want to email me I ask that you please use this email instead of the other posted above dtaylorknives@setel.com. Also, you can check out some more photos here http://www.setel.com/~tltaylor/links.html My web page ain't nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Again, thank you for all the kind words and interest,
Windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I love the shoulder rig. It would be great even in a single shoulder setup.

Welcome to the forums Windwalker. Let me suggest that you make a thread in the Dealer section for your holsters. That way it is always on hand.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone