mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Helmet cam?

So i have this whole thing before i buy another helmet cam i want to know whats the best to buy and the best rig. So here are some options ive seen:

Ipods or iphones inside mask right in the middle - Something in your mask, maybe take up space and fog, lost of vision and hard on the face.

Tycons and other helmet cams on the side of masks - Big thing on the side of head moving, could be hit on ground when sliding or hit on walls.

Barrels cams - 50% you marker is down or your trying to get cover, so not that good for footage, but is the best when it comes to seeing a kill.

Lipstick cams - Small and light, but usually have to have cords running to a small pack with batterys and reader, or another cam.

So what you guys think?
undercovercop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ive got an idea thanks to this post. It should be possible to mount a Gopro on to a mask visor. It would be centered between the eyes and not protuding much further than the rest of your noggin.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teek View Post
Ive got an idea thanks to this post. It should be possible to mount a Gopro on to a mask visor. It would be centered between the eyes and not protuding much further than the rest of your noggin.
been there done that.

actually even 1 step beyond: i got it on the lens frame to lower its profile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xprfbee2DE
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

ive seen the sunglass i forgot to post that with the ipod and iphone idea, i might be doing that
Old 03-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Largest in NH

If you want a quality video that people will actually sit through and watch you need a gopro or a ContourHD. There really isn't any other options. They are the only 2 cameras that can take a direct hit and keep on keepin on.

As far as the best way to mount it, there really isn't a way to do it that doesn't get in the way or stick up or out in some way. If you want to film and use a quality camera it is something you need to deal with.

I personally am not a fan of headcams. The gun gets in the way, it's pointing all over the place, and you don't see what you are shooting at. The mistake I feel a lot of players make is they play exactly the same with the camera as they would without it which leads to jumpy unstable bad video. I use a barrel mount and make a point to run around with my gun up as much as possible.

There are different ways to use the camera depending on what you are doing (obviously) The best way? Buy 2 1 on the gun and 1 on your head and edit the videos together.

I've posted this vid in another thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS6EkfKD6cs
OSG Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSG Paintball View Post
If you want a quality video that people will actually sit through and watch you need a gopro or a ContourHD. There really isn't any other options. They are the only 2 cameras that can take a direct hit and keep on keepin on.

As far as the best way to mount it, there really isn't a way to do it that doesn't get in the way or stick up or out in some way. If you want to film and use a quality camera it is something you need to deal with.

I personally am not a fan of headcams. The gun gets in the way, it's pointing all over the place, and you don't see what you are shooting at. The mistake I feel a lot of players make is they play exactly the same with the camera as they would without it which leads to jumpy unstable bad video. I use a barrel mount and make a point to run around with my gun up as much as possible.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j.../gopromini.jpg

There are different ways to use the camera depending on what you are doing (obviously) The best way? Buy 2 1 on the gun and 1 on your head and edit the videos together.

Not bad i might do the sunglasses for the face and then mount a gun cam
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Largest in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercovercop2 View Post
Not bad i might do the sunglasses for the face and then mount a gun cam
Just keep in mind that you should record the in the same format (720@30fps, 720@60fps, 1080@30fps etc.) or you won't be able to edit the footage together.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSG Paintball View Post

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j.../gopromini.jpg

Does the GoPro come with a barrel mount? If not where/what did use to mount it?
p8ntninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Largest in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
Does the GoPro come with a barrel mount? If not where/what did use to mount it?
It didn't come with one but GoPro sells an attachment that is suppose to be used on handlebars or frames on bikes. Bike handlebars and paintball gun barrels are right around the same diameter so it works out perfect.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone