mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Chrono consistency is also going to be affected by paint consistency and paint/barrel match. You may need some guidelines to produce a useful result.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Chrono consistency is also going to be affected by paint consistency and paint/barrel match. You may need some guidelines to produce a useful result.
Or if you can't produce an ideal fit, at least declare the bore size and how 5 balls react to being put in. Rollthrough, loose catch, tight, impassable.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop View Post
Gonna be honest,
I think that Mike from Tech Pb has a REALLY good review format. He tests everything you have listed there, and provides it in an easily accessible format.
I agree with this. He covers everything you want plus more, such as maintenance issues and concerns, things to watch for, shows a tear down.

I would rather see how many shots a gun can get off of 1k psi from a 3k tank and a 4.5k tank instead of x shots out of y tank. Using a 13/3000 would work for a pump gun review but not well for a semi or electro. It also isn't a common tank, I would say 68/4500 is a better choice if you want something as a standard. However you could use any tank if you go by my earlier mentioned suggestion.

As far as consistency I feel there are to many variables for it to be a useful measure. You have the paint itself which is rarely round or consistent size wise. Paint to barrel match is also tough, do you use a blow through method of picking the bore, under bore, over bore, use the stock barrel. You also have the issue of the regulator being broken in or not. If you review a new gun with a new reg it seals might still need to be broken in before you get actual realistic numbers.

I don't know how consistent reballs are but if they are they would probably be the best bet if you did want to review shot to shot consistency. That is assuming they are all the same size and round.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
+ Weather
Florida in June is going to be very different from Alaska in December.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Or if you can't produce an ideal fit, at least declare the bore size and how 5 balls react to being put in. Rollthrough, loose catch, tight, impassable.
Yes. You have to qualify your paint / barrel fit. For a review of consistency, you should check at least 10 balls. I check three diameters on each of a batch when I'm trying to check a marker out. The thing I've seen lately is that the hard "field grade" paint has been more round than the "tournament" paint, so I wouldn't be interested in knowing the brand of paint. Oblong paint in large barrels makes pretty wide fluctuations. I consider the extreme spread of the diameters relative to the barrel bore when I'm looking at the spread at the chronograph. You don't have to do any math, just write it all down.

The other thing I would like to know, by any standard, would be how tall a marker is. I am often surprised by the height or size of a marker. Because of the size of the trigger guards, egos look smaller in a picture by themselves. 2k2 timmies used to surprise me too. However, I haven't been surprised by Vikings, I guess the frames are smaller.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Sounds like a 68/4500 would be the best tank to do the testing and efficiency on. Got it.

Good deal.

And good points on the paint to barrel matching, but the issue I have with that is I want to do it with the stock barrel.

Here's the deal. Most electros you get today, do not come with anything but a .690 stock barrel or larger. The barrel is painted to match the anno and even milled to match. It's the same issue you have with the regulator.

So... I'm finding that most people don't do anything beyond the stock barrel or stock regulator. It's a looks thing.

Ball detents keep the paint from rolling out, and that's good enough for most.

I want to know how a gun performs stock. So maybe testing a few paintballs for size and consistency... How about just sticking with a certain brand like Ultra Evil? Seeing as how that is tournament quality paint? Something else?

I realize there are a ton of variables, and that's been the issue. I'm trying to find a way to keep those variables at a minimum.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
So... I'm finding that most people don't do anything beyond the stock barrel or stock regulator. It's a looks thing.
I would think most here would not agree. I have a specific regulator and barrel that I put on every marker I own. Be it a tippmann 98 (the original) or a highlander excal. If it doesn't match then I will try to find one that does, but at the end of the day I prefer performance to looks. I will note that I keep the stock barrel for photo ops.

IMO take out some of the variables, and run the same regulator and barrel on all the markers. The easiest barrel will be a freak (because you can get different backs somewhat readily), and you can use insert X with paint X. I would suggest an AKA reg, but I am a little bias as that is the marker mfg of my choice (due to their superiority of course)
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
TANSTAAFL

CCM Fan
What about using reballs? while they're tiny, are they more consistent in size?
"WHY is that guy licking Criticals pants?"
My Feedback
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

we devoloped teh LSET test which uses a 13/3 and a nice pressure gauge to pretty damn accuractly extrapolate to any tank size effeiency. PM me i can find you the link. but everyone here is correct - you have to shoot paint. not only that, but just like what im gonna say about consistency, paint to barrel match can easily swing effienecy numbers by 10% or more.

as far as consistency, i have in one day, with mutliple backs but the same paint and gun gotten from +/- 15 fps to +/- 2 fps over 20 shots. so again, barrel and paint has HUGE effects here and it might be hard to get the gun performance out of that whole mess of signals.

mike does stock guns, which is the most sensable. but one wonders about the relivence of comparing stock to stock, when it is so easy to change and see massive improvments or losses.

i do like the idea for the most part though. me and bryce and the other PW guys have been talking about standardized test for guns and paint for quite some time. after all, we have test methods for accuracy, consistency, effienecy, and are working on a kick test as we speek. we also can use the high speed camera to look at the cycle. in terms of quantativily looking at the gun, that covers most of the bases. idk, its an idea we have been kicking around.
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

How about noise? I've seen a lot of conversations about the older model of x gun is so much quieter. It's not a huge factor but having some sort of comparison would be nice.

Another deciding factor in if I keep a gun or not is the size and feel. I have big mitts so some of these little tiny guns just feel way too cramped. Maybe some basic measurements or hell even just a shot of the guns in a standard size black square so there's a point of reference.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone