mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I remember those old ones as being fairly unsafe.

Even a couple years ago someone got hurt from a "commercial" smokebomb made for paintball. I've had friends burn there hands from "no heat" smokebombs...
I used several of those "Strange Ordnance" grenades back in the mid 90s with no ill effects witnessed or reported. What exactly made them "unsafe"? I've seen a couple vague comments like this on this forum about them but, nobody has ever said anything more than that, and more importantly, I've never heard of anyone getting hurt by them (unlike numerous reports we've all seen of various smoke grenades).

Looking at the insides, they appeared to only hold the equivalent of a standard 3/4" firecracker (aka "Ladyfingers", typically sold, unregulated in strings of 40). This charge was wrapped (nearly completely surrounded) with a plastic bag (same type of plastic as ziploc sandwhich baggies) filled with the thick pasty paint, all of this enclosed in a cardboard container with walls just a bit thicker than a paper towel roll.
They "exploded violently", only because of the sealed container and, the incompressability of the fluid/paste. The carboard (and the attached, internal ignition mechanism) unrolled and didn't fly more than 1-3ft from where it 'exploded' (due to it's light weight/high drag), the bag was effectively destroyed, and the paint hit softer than a paintball. The sound was not much louder than a Tippmann with an unported barrel and a loudener (you wouldn't want either of them right next to your head for your hearing's sake). They released a man-sized puff of smoke from the initial burst, and there was no further burning that I ever saw (when I eliminated people, I would usually rush to their bunker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
i seem to recall reading a review by greyops or modern intel about a baking soda+vinegar grenade. Probably a lot safer and but still get a slight bang. Has anyone tried dry ice bombs? I heard from a friend while back that they're loud but not very destructive.
One of my local field was selling the the vinegar types and others used them. I never worried about them but, I've had paint fill on my face (behind my goggle lens) near enough to my eye to cause my eyes to water up just from the vapors (Evil is nasty in this regard). I'd hate to think about vinegar up that close to my eyes but, it wouldn't stop me from wanting to play.

Dry Ice Bombs theoretically could be safe but, it depends on the material housing them. A lot of folks use plastic drink bottles which can hold a lot of pressure before failing, and the plastic can fragment (or at least rip apart with jagged edges) that could give minor cuts.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
i seem to recall reading a review by greyops or modern intel about a baking soda+vinegar grenade. Probably a lot safer and but still get a slight bang. Has anyone tried dry ice bombs? I heard from a friend while back that they're loud but not very destructive.
That was us, and yeah they give a fairly good bang without being dangerous. I first tested it in my small garage with both doors closed and there was a second there where I thought I had actually gone deaf (I exaggerate, but it freaking loud). They'll hurt if you have one go off on your bare hand, but if you have a glove on your hand and let it detonate on an open palm you'll be fine (the creator has a video of him doing this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
One of my local field was selling thé thé vinegar types and others used them. I never worried about them but, I've had paint fill on my face (behind my goggle lens) near enough to my eye to cause my eyes to water up just from thé vapors (Evil is nasty in this regard). I'd hate to think about vinegar up that close to my eyes but, it wouldn't stop me from wanting to play.
The citric acid thats used in the grenades neutralizes for the most part when baking soda is added to it, so its basically water that is released from the grenade.

Canadian dealer for: WTFPB, Skunkworks, Myco and exotic camo products.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Sandbox Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I like how in thé videos thé guys toss thé grenades and flashbangs and then run like hell. Yeah that makes me feel safe about people using them on thé field.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox Fedaykin View Post
That was us, and yeah they give a fairly good bang without being dangerous. I first tested it in my small garage with both doors closed and there was a second there where I thought I had actually gone deaf (I exaggerate, but it freaking loud). They'll hurt if you have one go off on your bare hand, but if you have a glove on your hand and let it detonate on an open palm you'll be fine (the creator has a video of him doing this).

The citric acid thats used in the grenades neutralizes for the most part when baking soda is added to it, so its basically water that is released from the grenade.
You mean acetic acid :P But, I think the neutralization depends on how long it reacts before the released gas bursts the latex.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
You mean acetic acid :P But, I think the neutralization depends on how long it reacts before the released gas bursts the latex.
Actually these grenades only work with citric acid.

The mixing procedure is very fast and gives the citric acid solution about 5-7 seconds to neutralize before detonation, so it should be fairly neutralized.

Canadian dealer for: WTFPB, Skunkworks, Myco and exotic camo products.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Sandbox Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox Fedaykin View Post
Actually these grenades only work with citric acid.

The mixing procedure is very fast and gives the citric acid solution about 5-7 seconds to neutralize before detonation, so it should be fairly neutralized.
Citric Acid? Is it possible there are different brands and formulas? I've always heard them referred to as Vinegar/Baking Soda types and Vinegar is Acetic Acid.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I don't like the Thermobaric designation on the "flashbang". It's probably just marketing gimmick but my experience with true Thermobaric rounds are big nasty booms.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone