mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyDood View Post
Ah, the old Microsoft tactic of forced obsolescence.

I'd probably end up getting an older high end, like everyone else in this thread.
Eclipse was doing that ages ago. I remember a story from a guy with an 07 Ego in 09 who went to get his gun teched at a PSP event and was told by one of the Eclipse techs that "Your gun is too old, just buy an 09 Ego" and wouldn't tech it.

Older high ends ftw, especially if you like guns that aren't "agg". I am a huge fan of Bob Long Marqs and Vices because they are dirt cheap and amazing guns. Plus Bob will tech anything he's ever made still.

Last edited by SKI008; 03-30-2011 at 10:56 PM.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Reinventing the Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
Eclipse was doing that ages ago. I remember a story from a guy with an 07 Ego in 09 who went to get his gun teched at a PSP event and was told by one of the Eclipse techs that "Your gun is too old, just buy an 09 Ego" and wouldn't tech it.
And Microsoft's been doing that for a LOT longer. I'm not exactly sure when it started but the oldest example I can remember is when they made old versions of Word unable to read files made with newer versions. That was in the 90's.
LoopyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Karōshi

I think it depends on the end use. If I were to pick something that I will be using every weekend and competing in tournaments with, I would go for something that I can get repaired fairly quickly. If I played once a month or less, and maybe do a couple of local tourneys a year, I would go with an older high end.

One more thing to consider would be the available modes. You may need to upgrade older high end boards to support new modes depending on the tournaments or events you will be attending. These modes are typically already available on newer lower ends.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have not owned many electros, but I prefer my older Viking over the DP G3 I owned. The older markers I've owned seem like they were made of a higher quality. My Viking has never gone down on me. My G3 never really had any major issues, but seemed to eat orings.
phantom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Older high ends FTW. sure the new low end is fast quite etc. But the fit and finish you get from an older high end just isn't there. When I say "older high end" though I'm speaking of 99-01 Angels both LED and LCD, shoebox shockers, RT mags and of course all those lovely lovely cockers that come up FS from time to time. I'm sorry but mass produced ill machined guns that are made today just aren't up to snuff in the fit and finish department. As far as I'm concerned fit and finish in high ends went out the window with the intro of newer angels and the ego in 05

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mind Detonator

I'd go older too. halfmilled Viking for me. single trigger. yea baby

I would kick so much *** I'd get called for cheating or something if I used that.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyDood View Post
And Microsoft's been doing that for a LOT longer. I'm not exactly sure when it started but the oldest example I can remember is when they made old versions of Word unable to read files made with newer versions. That was in the 90's.
I know. I am saying Eclipse has been doing that since before 2011, not that Eclipse has been doing it longer than Microsoft.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

The failure of this is you are discussing the elite niche of the older high ends vs the new lower ends. I see a lot about Vikings in this thread, nothing about Karnivores, Shocker SFT, or whatever was the "high end" of the day. Vikings, even then, were really a niche thing. New ________ or 03 Shocker SFT?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

When I say older high ends, I'm thinking 00-04 guns. Mainly I have in mind how does a Invert Mini compare to like a DM3/DM4
Ryan381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Shoots First

I'd say go old high-end too. Not only are they as good or better than new low to mid-end, but they've already depreciated in value about all they're going to.

So if you buy a used 05 Ego for $200 and decide it's not for you, you can simply sell it and get all your money back... if you try to do that with a new gun, depending on what you paid and how long you've had it, you're most likely going to be out a few bucks.

redthirst is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone