mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #21 (permalink)

We had a couple of SP Nerves. I believe the Nerve was only made in 06. Those are truly amazing guns and highly under valued. They are well made and built in the old school fashion of solid and elegant. We are no playing pumps and have an Orracle and a custom milled gun cut from an 02 body.

The older guns have a feel that cannot be matched by the newer mass produced toys. A nicely milled Cocker can be very light, compact and still shoot ball on ball.

The other nice thing about Cockers is: No boards, no batteries, no cap.....
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Depends on what you want. New "low end" like the top line Spyders, Azodins, etc have pretty much come to have everything the old "high ends" had that they didn't...eyes, on-offs, decent regs, boards with modes, etc. Mid-level stuff like Minis, PMs, etc definitely do. If you just want a paint hose, why buy an 8 year old gun for 300 when you can get a new one for the same or less?

Now if you're talking older high end pumps, tricked out cockers and mags, etc..that's a different story. An old-school pimped out cocker is still going to beat a STBB or Carver One.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

I just picked up an 05 Ego and my biggest worry is finding replacement parts for it if something happens. Planet Eclipse doesn't produce parts for it anymore.

The only problem with an older high end is that some companies stop making replacement parts for it after a few years.
RaggedyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
If the marker is still supported (either by the manufacturer or by third party support), I prefer older high ends. However, when guns rely solely on its cult following (such as Montneel and Action Markers), I can't make myself keep them.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
MQ2 Pumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyMan View Post
I just picked up an 05 Ego and my biggest worry is finding replacement parts for it if something happens. Planet Eclipse doesn't produce parts for it anymore.

The only problem with an older high end is that some companies stop making replacement parts for it after a few years.
Yeah, watch out for that solenoid, making sure your top front grip screws aren't too far in. Some people put small o-rings around these screws just in case. Also, 05 Ego detents are smaller than the rest. If you plan to keep your 05 for a while, I would find a pack of these. The only other thing I would worry about on an 05 is the stock board. I've seen screens go bad. If you aren't attached to having a screen, it would be a good idea to replace it with a Tadao board anyway. You will save on batteries. The 05 stock boards ate batteries.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

It came with a Tadao Musashi(sp?) board already installed. I'll start keeping an eye out for 05 detents, and maybe try to find another solenoid just for backup.
Thanks, for the tip about putting o-rings around the grip screws.
RaggedyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I wouldn't (and actually haven't) replace any of my electro-Mags (e-Mag and e-pneu) for anything else, even a Dye NT, an Eclipse Ego or Geo or anything else. The only "modern" marker that catches my eye is the BL Victory but still, I'd rather buy an used one for half the price than pay it's BNIB price.

What happens is that these newer electros tend to loose to much value over a year. A Mag, in the other hand, retains it's value for like forever. Not only that but also I know my Mags deeply so I can pretty much do whatever maintenance is ever needed and at last, I have Mags that shot over 50,000 balls without needing a single new o-ring while I always see people having to open their DMs and Egos on the field.

Last year (or in the begining of this, can't remember right now) I've bought a new VER frame for one of my Mags and that alone costed the same thing as an Empire Axe, which I understand is also a good marker.
mpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Remember that the e-Mag has a screen and if you want modern shooting modes, you can always flash it with XMOD.
mpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

What's the difference? A phantom is a phantom.

see what I did there?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Gun Designer

Im going to say old high end schwartz as long as you dont have girly wirsts your schwartz shouldnt matter how heavy it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone