mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Lightbulb I need a mechanical engineer!

Locally preferably. Liability insurance for Avratech is a complicated process, since we are selling internationally and our product is viewed by many insurance companies in the same category as firearms, sporting goods. I've managed to find a good broker to start working with, but I could really use an engineer to look over my drawings and give them some kind of stamp, to show that a *REAL* engineer believes the design is... not something that will just explode in anyones hands, or something to that end. There are no formal certifications required AFAIK, the only standard I know of related to the Falcon is the ASTM F 1750 for air source/tank valve. Some sort of verification by an engineer who understands the subject would be invaluable in moving along the insurance thing.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Schmitti's a PE...check with him.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Actually, you need an engineering consultant. It'll be easiest for you to go through firms for this, but it doesn't sound like you need the professionalism that such places maintain (meaning any engineer would do, and you might get away cheaper avoiding the firm....actually, you WILL get away cheaper avoiding the firm.)

Good luck, though. The bureaucracy is a real pain when it comes to guns...but justifiably so.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Check craigslist for people looking to do freelance work. I've seen more than one person around here with a stamp looking for extra work. Either that or post up an ad yourself and let them come to you.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Uticus

Where you are in BC its likely that you will need a P.Eng licensed to practice in BC to stamp it. Your best bet (price wise) may be to look for a smaller local firm to take it on, and avoid the big named, Canada wide firms.

You might be able to get some help from local universities (they might be able to recommend people locally that work in similar areas), or even the yellow pages.
Uticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I agree with Uticus, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a stamp of someone licensed as a professional engineer (or the Canadian equivalent if they have a different name for it) in the province that the company is run out of. Check the yellow pages for local engineering firms, but be aware that something like this is outside the typical practices of most consulting firms. Another decent source may be if you have any fabrication places locally that manufacture approved pressure vessels as those often need to bear the stamp of a PE, they may be able to point you in a good direction as that is in the same general specific discipline.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

sounds good, I did a bit of research and I've got some places to contact. my business partner has a lead as well.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not to hijack ApoC thread, but is an engineer approval/certification stamp needed for something that is essentially is an ASA?
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

He's trying to get insurance on his company and this is a requirement. An individual wouldn't have this issue IMO.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
The other problem is the person who "stamps off" on it then has some liability in the event of a problem, and knowing how insurance companies operate (collect money always, pay out money never), they would pursue that avenue given the opportunity.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone