mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Trracer pumps (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/1570-trracer-pumps.html)

Frontier_Bill 07-21-2006 01:49 AM

Trracer pumps

Ok, we got the rental markers today, and discovered 3 things:
1: they are side cocking, so not tagmasters?
2: they are in surprisingly great aesthetic condition, considering they were rentals
3: some of the internals are UGLY, the corrosion is HORRIBLE in #6

Pics
Twins
Right side
From below

Any help on ID'ing these and tips on getting them up to snuff would be appreciated!

russc 07-21-2006 06:57 AM

Trracers, and a little polishing on the bolt and hammer probably won't hurt them. They're pretty easy to keep in working order. If the cupseals go, you can use spyder seals. The valve comes off the back when the rear thumbscrew is removed, and you can access the valve internals by removing the brass hex nut from which the powertube protrudes.

Frontier_Bill 07-21-2006 11:12 AM

O yeah, i know all about the workings of a nelson pump, my winters are spent disassembling and reassembling all my markers. The one thing i have not got around to yet is the polishing, i just didnt have time for it last night.
I think i will do that at noon today, i have some 600 grit sandpaper in my truck.

Schmitti 07-21-2006 12:21 PM

Start finer if the corrosion hasn't pitted anything. Seriously... it will just make things go quicker.

Frontier_Bill 07-21-2006 12:53 PM

Problem is, my finer sandpaper is expensive stuff that i used for polishing things on the lathe and, well, i cant exactly find it...

But the corrosion on the hammer is rough, there was even crap in the hammer tube and inside the valve. I have never seen internals so gunked up and/or corroded!

Some of them were in great shape though...

Azzy 07-21-2006 01:00 PM

Get normal 600 grit fromthe auto parts store or some steel wool.

For cleaning the internals, a hot bath of simple green and water, some rags, adn a dowle rod will be your friend. Just make sure to lube up those internals later to keep them form rusting again.

Frontier_Bill 07-21-2006 01:06 PM

You bet!
Thats the sandpaper that i have on hand, and i have all those cleaning products, minus the steel wool. About the lubing, yea, i have a tendancy to lube them too much...

Fluff 07-21-2006 11:00 PM

One thing that I have found that works great is a product called nevr-dull. It is available in most hardware stores and, as bryl-creem says, a little dab'l do ya

Azzy 07-22-2006 12:26 AM

As long as it isnt in the barrel, you cant lube them too much (unless you play in -4 degrees...)

Frontier_Bill 07-22-2006 02:21 AM

i'll keep an eye out for the never dull.
What i meant by 'too much' is some of it coated the barrel and made shooting horrible and cleaning difficult.

But, we got in and polished all the internals and we had 5 of them shooting at 280 FPS (as of 30 minutes ago).

Now my next project for tonight, set up an Araikon Overlord for CA.. :D