mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Starting Out/Getting Back In

Just kind of voicing my opinion on this. On other sites like PBN and TechPB I see a TON of threads about starting out or getting back in. You see this question all the time.

"I've been playing for a little while and I want my own gear. What do I buy?"

And the answer is most often

"Buy a mask. Get a rotor. Get a bliggity-blackity-black tank. Get either the etek 3, axe or FX. Then Get these pants, this pack and these pads."

and then

"NO! Buy a used vice dood!"

My question is...do you need all that stuff to play paintball? I'm a minimalist. For me, a pump gun and a comfy mask is all that I need to play paintball.(See?)

It just blows my mind to see everyone on an online forum suggesting $1k rigs for the new guys.

Point is this. Do you need a $500+ gun, $200+ in pads and apparel, a $170 hopper, and $150 tank to start out? Whenever I see someone say "I want some of my own gear. What's good?"

I always tell them

"Find a mask that fits you really well and get that one. Once you've done that, go to the local proshop an pick out what gun looks best and fits your fancy the most. My suggestion is the Azodin Kaos but use what works for you."

You can get a cheap tank and hopper for like $20, a nice
gun for around $100, and a good mask for $50 or so. You're now under $200 and quite frankly, a new guy won't really notice a difference in Co2 to air, a Revvy to a Rotor or a Blowback to a Timmy. Get my point?

Josh
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
A) A lot of folks want to show you their e-peen instead of actually helping you out, and talking about how much they spent is a good way to do it.

B) A lot of people equate money spent with how good you will play

C) A lot of people are 14 year old idiots using mommie's credit card

I think that about sums it up.

Keep pointing folks in the right direction.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

B Cracked me up. Thanks for that. That's insanely accurate though.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
Point is this. Do you need a $500+ gun, $200+ in pads and apparel, a $170 hopper, and $150 tank to start out?
to start out?

ALL of my gear, my dad's gear, and our loaner gear is worth MAYBE $250 total, and we've been playing for 4 or 5 years now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Milquetoast

I think the problem is less with what gear they recommend new players, but rather the style of play they push them to. Don't force new players to buy "speedball" gear, because then when they arrive at the field with the other newbies they are sent over to airball based on their setup.

I can go to big fields and get mixed in with very different groups based on what I'm wearing.

"Blue jeans, t shirt, old blowblack with a shake n bake, ok this guy is a noob put him in with the intermediates"

or

"High end electro, jersey, paintball pants, ok this guy is a regular put him in with the advanced group"

I'm still the same guy with the same skill level, but who I play against is very much based upon what type of gear the refs see I have.

When you tell people to start with an "Etek 3, Rotor, bliggity-blackity-black tank, etc" they are going to be pushed out to the airball field. Despite having nice gear, they are still a newb and will be repeatedly stitched up all day until they decide they don't like paintball very much and quit.

I see that happen all the time^.
ConradNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradNorCal View Post
I think the problem is less with what gear they recommend new players, but rather the style of play they push them to. Don't force new players to buy "speedball" gear, because then when they arrive at the field with the other newbies they are sent over to airball based on their setup.

I can go to big fields and get mixed in with very different groups based on what I'm wearing.

"Blue jeans, t shirt, old blowblack with a shake n bake, ok this guy is a noob put him in with the intermediates"

or

"High end electro, jersey, paintball pants, ok this guy is a regular put him in with the advanced group"

I'm still the same guy with the same skill level, but who I play against is very much based upon what type of gear the refs see I have.

When you tell people to start with an "Etek 3, Rotor, bliggity-blackity-black tank, etc" they are going to be pushed out to the airball field. Despite having nice gear, they are still a newb and will be repeatedly stitched up all day until they decide they don't like paintball very much and quit.

I see that happen all the time^.
Think you nailed it right on the head.
When my brother and i first got into paintball, he did a lot of research and blah blah into paintball and he ended up getting a **** ton of speedball gear (for a good deal though). First day as a walk on, it was an automatic assumption that he was an xball pro so we got pitted against some pretty nasty real xballers. Lucky for us our noobishness was diluted by large teams. But all in all, it was still a fun experience.

I guess, the best advice you can give to a noobie is to try not to look so pro lol.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I recommend to most friends etc wanting to play with us often the following budget to get started:

-100 bucks for a mask, I4 being top recommendation (we have some loaner masks too)
-bout 200 bucks for a pump gun, co2 is fine, APP hopper (I usually lend out my guns to friends who dont want to buy a marker yet)
-some decent footwear and pants

all ya need to have a blast in rec play at our home field. rest of their money should go into buying paint, or getting a membership to get rid of walk-on fees.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Pads are worth the cash in my opinion...but my knees are going bad real fast. It sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
I guess, the best advice you can give to a noobie is to try not to look so pro lol.
Sigh...even when I try to look like a scrub these days I get recognized and team stacked. It sucks when you want to just relax
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Exactly. I love pump and I let all the rentals try it if they are wanting to buy their own gun. For most new players, pump isn't something they want.

I love i4's...they are just really small.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Pads are worth the cash in my opinion...but my knees are going bad real fast. It sucks.
I wear them...but I can play with out them. I'll wear arm pads and a bounce shirt for speedball usually. For just walk on I just wear knee pads and pants and a shirt.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone