mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Does playing paintball with a pump make you better? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/158334-does-playing-paintball-pump-make-you-better.html)

Mirad 04-13-2011 05:39 AM

Does playing paintball with a pump make you better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7xGAyJZKxo

I came across this video while looking for pump videos. Doesn't working and training on a skill make you a better at it? I say pump does make you better in terms of using skill.

You snap shoot more, move aggressively, choose your shots carefully, and you have to be cautious on how many shots and air you have left especially if you play pure stock class.

Using a 50 rnd hopper on an Ego isn't the same as using one on a pump b/c their is no pumping action on an Ego.

heinous 04-13-2011 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirad (Post 1785412)
Using a 50 rnd hopper on an Ego isn't the same as using one on a pump b/c their is no pumping action on an Ego.

i find nothing wrong with what mike said. a pump gun isn't a magical device. it's just a gun lacking the advantages of an electropneumatic so you have no choice but to focus on using your skills for once. if you give yourself a handicap to only one-ball during a game, you would be doing the same thing. he basically just said one thing a couple times over the course of 4 minutes.

it's the exercise on the normally unused skills that pump play allows to rise to the surface that can make you better. just buying a pump gun isn't going to make you better, playing with one will.

JOESPUD27 04-13-2011 08:31 AM

Playing more often makes you better. If you play more often and throw in a pump where it makes you THINK more about your shots and movement, those skills translate well to semi play. Just playing pump will not make you a "one ball" king. Play paintball, have fun.

Jay

mikeds80 04-13-2011 08:34 AM

Well I don't know how much a dropout phantom will help your ego skills. The basic things like thinking on your feat and movement will get a little boost regardless but I don't think using a completely different gun will help your abilities with another. If you want to get better at "gunfighting" you should be practicing with the gun you are trying to improve on. I say put the pocket hopper on the ego and limit the bps if you want to improve. If you just want to play pump then use a pump gun.

Robertsr 04-13-2011 08:39 AM

Playing pump or limited paint teaches you a DIFFERENT set of skills. I still maintain after 20+ years of play that pump users and ramping users of the SAME SKILL LEVEL will result in pump users being shot out.

Each type of play is valid, has it's place, and is fun. Years ago, my buddy Wayne started telling people who asked "what can I buy to be a better player?" the same thing every time. He'd say, "Paint. Just buy some paint and play as often as you can." Sound advice.

Greenmtnphantom 04-13-2011 08:57 AM

For the most part I agree with Robertsr.

The skills are a little different and experience is the best way to improve your game.

Pump player vs electro player yes the electro player has a huge advantage and at equal skill levels will most of the time win. Give them both the same gear, maybe a mech semi that neither has touched before. I think it would be very interesting to watch. I think many of the skills you work on playing pump are universal to paintball and can help you become a better semi/electro player (Communication and snapshooting for example).

Bottom line is in my mind if you want to improve your game no matter what you play with challenge yourself. Do what ever it takes to make the game hard. If it's easy your not improving.

Ramous 04-13-2011 09:28 AM

No, playing paintball makes you a better player.

Sure with a pump you gotta move a little more, and conserve paint/air. Playing pump makes you a better pump player for sure, but a better player in general? Thats silly.

jdlarson11 04-13-2011 09:28 AM

My thoughts are the more fields, formats, gun types (electro, mech, pump, stock) you play the better you will be.

Play the same games, with the same people, using the same equipment everytime and you will remain the same.

ogre45 04-13-2011 09:29 AM

I have played a ton of airball games with a pistol and even more woodsball/sceanrio games. On the airball field I shoot only 4 or 5 shots and take at least two people with me. On a woodsball game I average 1.5 people per 8 shot clip. In scenario I average 1.2 people per clip. Granted in half to woodsball games I survive to the end and scenario is its own world. When I go to my A5 or BTERC I play some what the same style in respected plays. I am just more op to stay in a firefight and not back out and run around the backside. I try to ambush or backside people with the pistol.

However, I do tend to rush in with pistols blazing in fire fight but that is a tactic that a team member(s) slip to the side while my enemy focuses on the fat guy yelling and runing their way.

Plus I cant tell you how funny the agglets yell and scream when being shot out by a pistol in an airball game by those "pro" players. I still remember the UofD team me and some walkons played and I shot 4 of the 7 man team out. they won but for two months they claimed I cheated at that game. Ahh memories

Blackheart 04-13-2011 11:10 AM

Playing with a pump will not make you a better player. Playing more often, with and against better players will make you better if you are able to incorporate the lessons that are all around you. Paintball is a thinking person's sport. Pay attention to the experienced players...how they conduct themselves and how they approach different on field problems. Make sure you really understand who the experienced players are...they won't be the guys barking orders prior to the game starting, they won't be the guys milling around in the staging area admiring each other's gear. They will be the quiet ones who are cleaning their markers at each break, who laugh and seem to be having fun no matter if they win or not...pay attention to those guys...you could learn alot.