mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Sovereign Connoisseur

First thought was, this is so COOL! I get to shoot my boss!

Last edited by FeWolf; 04-23-2011 at 02:10 AM.
FeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
BSAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeWolf View Post
First thought was, this is so COOL! I get to shot my boss!
this makes me think the like button from facebook should be implemented on forums...

I did not give MAR any mayo...it just wouldn't be right to unleash that upon this Earth.

Most Generously Sponsored By:

My Wallet
BMayo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Equalizer View Post
1) “What type of game did you want to play when you first got into paintball?”

2) “What made you progress to your current preferred style of play?”
I honestly can't say what gamestyle I wanted to play. Though I always looks forward to shooting $1000+ markers like PE and Dye which would probably be more speedball orientated. I started off playing paintball slowly and occasionally. I would go out sometimes, check out new technologies, watch other people play, and when able play alongside with them.

I currently play with pump on any field type with the mindset of efficiency and something about "staying oldschool."
konerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_scummm View Post
So the gist is I don't see paintball so much as a violent or war like thing... it's an athletic competition mixing dexterity, physical ability, and strategy, much like football, rugby, lacrosse, etc. I usually use terms like "marker" (though I do use "gun" pretty frequently) "tag" or "hit" instead of "kill", etc. It's not my desire to be politically correct or anything- I just started playing around the year 2002 on speedball fields where that was a common push- making the sport more legitimate, and that's kind of what shaped my vocabulary (and possibly my perspective) of the game
One of the things I've always found amusing is people (especially parents) who have no problem with sports like the three you mentioned, but think paintball is too violent. Paintball was started to simulate modern warfare, and sports like Football were started to simulate medieval warfare. Whatever the intentions of modern players the games were originally a less violent way to practice violence.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
  1. Any type. I didn't know a lot about it other than what I had read in a few pamphlets and what my buddy had told me. I just wanted to play.
  2. Currently I play primarily pump. That's also what I started playing "back when". I've been through most plays, except maybe hardcore mil-sim. I keep coming back to pump. It's just a lot of fun for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

shooting refs is fun, when you dont get caught...
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogti9g9 View Post
As a ref for four summers I'd like to swear at you, but the rules prevent me.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogti9g9 View Post
Shoot refs is childish, all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
This is a question I've wanted to ask for a few months but haven't been able to figure out how to word it. I was just reading fundamentally flawed business model of the paintball world and this post struck me.

Frankly I see no national attention on paintball at all, unless you count the occasional sitcom that shows paintball as a goggle-less game played with hopper-less paintball guns. If you want to find out about paintball you have to look it up on the internet or wander through the sporting goods section of Dick's/Wal-Mart/K-Mart. So that brings me to the question, “What image do new players have of the sport of Paintball?”

The poster above clearly felt that speedball is the type of play that attracts new players. I've always felt and been told by other players and field owners that everyone starts out thinking of the cops and robbers games they played as kids and then branch off into different aspects of paintball once they have some experience under their belts. I started out looking for a mil-sim experience. An AT-85 was my dream gun and I felt bad for the people who had to play with pumps. I'm still interested in scenario games, but now I play mostly modified stock class. Over time I went from a very serious interest in the military aspect of the sport to a devotion to the “old school” game. I always assumed speedball players had a similar progression, starting out with rentals on a woods field and then deciding they preferred a faster paced game.

Now rather than assuming, I'm going to ask.

The issue is that the person you quoted is entirely inaccurate in his assumptions/claims.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
Post Whore

When is started I had thought is was all woodsball and tactical stuff, and some speedball like games. This is five years ago, and i never had much exposure to it. My current playing style is strictly woodsball. Simply said, i use less paint, and i like the large area of play. The games can get just as intense while still remaining somewhat relaxed.

I mean sure we still get you cheating players who will bad mouth anyone, but i learned to play them, and learned that i like to target them for the challenge. Playing with rentals is another story (they can be annoying) but i like introducing them into my more relaxed style of play.
TF

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Feedback
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone