mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question What did you think paintball was when you first started playing?

This is a question I've wanted to ask for a few months but haven't been able to figure out how to word it. I was just reading fundamentally flawed business model of the paintball world and this post struck me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_6109 View Post
I feel that if you make speedball less attractive it will kill the sport. A lot of the national attention is on speedball, which drives the paintball economy and attracts more players. Although, I do aggre that you cant neglect woodsball in your business model.
Also, I have never played somewhere that charges woodsball players more. The only thing i have seen is have renters buy field paint only, but that is still fairly cheap. If anything speedballers spend more on paint because they shoot so much of it.
Frankly I see no national attention on paintball at all, unless you count the occasional sitcom that shows paintball as a goggle-less game played with hopper-less paintball guns. If you want to find out about paintball you have to look it up on the internet or wander through the sporting goods section of Dick's/Wal-Mart/K-Mart. So that brings me to the question, “What image do new players have of the sport of Paintball?”

The poster above clearly felt that speedball is the type of play that attracts new players. I've always felt and been told by other players and field owners that everyone starts out thinking of the cops and robbers games they played as kids and then branch off into different aspects of paintball once they have some experience under their belts. I started out looking for a mil-sim experience. An AT-85 was my dream gun and I felt bad for the people who had to play with pumps. I'm still interested in scenario games, but now I play mostly modified stock class. Over time I went from a very serious interest in the military aspect of the sport to a devotion to the “old school” game. I always assumed speedball players had a similar progression, starting out with rentals on a woods field and then deciding they preferred a faster paced game.

Now rather than assuming, I'm going to ask.

1) “What type of game did you want to play when you first got into paintball?”
2) “What made you progress to your current preferred style of play?”
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Hah, I thought every "bunker" I read about was a concrete WW2 pillbox. I was sorely disappointed.

Paintball was almost exactly like what I expected, because we went out into construction yards and backwoods and basically played cops and robbers. We all used Talon Ghosts and used ski or shop goggles for protection. I made my own silencer that was attached with duct tape, and put a sling on the back. None of us had ever heard of paintball tournaments. This was about 2003.

After a summer of doing our own thing, I started searching the net and found sites like this:

The Coolest Gun in the World

The CGW was a huge influence in me choosing a Phantom as my first "real" gun. I had dreams of picking guys off at 200 yards, but the reality hit home fast once I got it. It *was* a whole lot better than my Talon, but I learned pretty quick that I had to get close to make my shots count. I played with the Talon once at a real field before getting my Phantom, and I'd use a 100 bag each day. I was scraping by, so 5 bucks in gas to get to the field and back, free entry for gun owners in the summer, and 8 bucks for a bag of paint. That's pretty much why I stuck with pump...I was a cheap ***. Still am.

I can honestly say my whole play style evolved around using as little paint and 12 grams as possible. No head on shootouts, always going around. No staying out trying to tag someone, just snapping out to make the other guy use his paint.

Anyways:

Long range shots, stealth and crawling. I never imagined how much paint would be shot at a real field.

A tight wallet.

Last edited by russc; 04-19-2011 at 01:54 AM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I thought it was the awesomest thing ever! soon as I found out how easy it was to buy a marker and start playing in the woods with friends, it was on. i could tell right away it was something that was going to be popular for a long time (or forever), totally free form at the start, lots of outlaw ball, building our own stuff, appealing from a technical equipment aspect too (great for those of us that grew up in the outdoors and in the garage), and sporting wise it was challenging, with many different skills involved. after that it just kept getting better and better, and now its what I do for a living

for a while I was actually interested in the "speedball" hype, and blew way too much money on gear. once I found pump and starting playing for pennies, the game took on a whole new level of awesome.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 04-19-2011 at 01:54 AM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Equalizer View Post
This is a question I've wanted to ask for a few months but haven't been able to figure out how to word it. I was just reading fundamentally flawed business model of the paintball world and this post struck me.

Frankly I see no national attention on paintball at all, unless you count the occasional sitcom that shows paintball as a goggle-less game played with hopper-less paintball guns. If you want to find out about paintball you have to look it up on the internet or wander through the sporting goods section of Dick's/Wal-Mart/K-Mart. So that brings me to the question, “What image do new players have of the sport of Paintball?”

The poster above clearly felt that speedball is the type of play that attracts new players. I've always felt and been told by other players and field owners that everyone starts out thinking of the cops and robbers games they played as kids and then branch off into different aspects of paintball once they have some experience under their belts. I started out looking for a mil-sim experience. An AT-85 was my dream gun and I felt bad for the people who had to play with pumps. I'm still interested in scenario games, but now I play mostly modified stock class. Over time I went from a very serious interest in the military aspect of the sport to a devotion to the “old school” game. I always assumed speedball players had a similar progression, starting out with rentals on a woods field and then deciding they preferred a faster paced game.

Now rather than assuming, I'm going to ask.

i thought you played it in the woods, played by grown ups, and that the balls shoot straighter and further than they really do.

1. woodsball with solid bunkers. i didn't know any other kind.
2. it's the same. i prefer solid bunkers. i started after graduating high school. i thought what the **** kind of 18 year old prefers to have an adrenaline rush around blow up castles? it's easier for the field to change layout, but looked ridiculous. i was surprised the type of kids who i later found out are called "agglets" act so serious about the game yet feel the air shapes are more hardcore than bumping into dirt woods and bricks. i thought they were tards.

Last edited by heinous; 04-19-2011 at 02:23 AM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Sneaking through the forest, ambushing, one balling.

Quote:
There's progress? Still trying to do the same thing after about 20 years.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I thought it was too slow paced and boring.

My first game was some indoor place in torrance/gardena in '91. I shared a bag of paint with another first timer. We ran out of paint, I think he used 30 or so paintballs for the day, I shot the rest. I asked about semi's and was told not to get them because they sucked. I did not play again until 2004.

I think this video very accurately shows what the majority of what outsiders/first-timers think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7nUXigm0OE
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
MQ2 Pumper!

Quote:
1) Oddly enough, I wanted to play tournament airball when I first got into it in 2006. I hit the airball fields almost every weekend.

2) I prefer tournament airball still today. The only thing different was that I picked up a pump in 2007, fell in love with it, and stuck with it up until now.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

The results of your statistical sampling from MCB are likely to be skewed based on age and pump playing demographics.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
1) Bushball/Scenario games. I like to be on point with a select-fire marker.

2) I still like that style best. Its as much about bush skill as paintball skill.

Funny thing, I still think the AT-85 is one of the best designs I have ever seen. Would love to have one with the optional mag that can take a hopper on the side. Are they still in business?
malJohann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB>my wallet

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
When I started a couple years ago at 24 I did not know paintball existed to the extent that it does. I shot a Talon once or twice in someone's back yard and that was it. I found a group of guys who played in one's back yard on craigslist. I went and played with them, they were all milsim, everyone used a 98 or a5 and they were "the best guns ever". The guy who's house it was had an e-grip and he loved to shoot paint. So I wanted big fast guns, I bought a 98 as my first gun and shortly after a pro-carbine. After playing with them for a fall/winter I eventually found local fields on the internet (there was 4 within 2 hours of me). The guys I played with didn't even know about them nor could I get them to come out afterwards.
I played a local scenario for my first game at a legit field with about 100 people. I was blown away by how great it was and never went back. I did the tippmann thing, tac vest, etc. for a few months but was impressed by a team of pump players that was always doing work. So I bought my first sniper, absolutely loved it and started playing pump exclusively.
Now I play pump and mech only as part of that team that influenced me. I probably shoot like 3 bps at my fastest, rarely carry more than 2 pods and can play a whole day on half a case or less. My gun collection is all older and consistently growing (partly thanks to MCB).

Scenario Paintball TV(SPbTV)-Paintball videos from the Northeast, South Carolina and Europe
feedback
GtrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone