mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Pocket camcorders.

Hi guys.

I've been very interested in getting a helmet cam for quite a long time now, since I saw tigers' vids when I was starting out. The problem is, even though I have a job and support myself, the helmet cameras in the uk are stupidly priced! They just replace the $ sign with a sign, which means a gopro hd in the usa costs 180 and one in the uk cost 300.

It seems other consumer cameras aren't as bad so I was wondering if it would be worth the effort to rig a pocket camcorder to the nose of my mask, similar to MidnightAngles' set up. They do have ones that film in 720p at 60fps but are they of the same image quality as the helmet cams?

(Also had the idea of mounting a video camera to some sort of shoulder rig that would somehow pivot with the direction of my head for a 3rd person perspective.)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

for youtube's purpose they are about the same quality. youtube probably compress them down anyway.

might want to think about an iphone. it's probably more compact than the pocket camcorders, but when i was playing around with that idea, there was one of the sony bloggie camcorders with a swiveling lens that sounded good to me. however, reading the reviews it turned out to have a time limit per video. i think it was 30 minutes before the thing cuts off and you have to start another recording.

keep a lookout for this hindrance in other camcorders on your search and good luck, because yeah 300 pounds is nuts.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

These have been very popular with the RC guys:

The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (POSTS #1-#3 answer most FAQs) - RC Groups

They're not waterproof, but small enough that you might be able to make your own housing.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's actually really interesting, thanks GoatBoy.

Heinous, what fps do you record your vids at? I was thinking I would need something that records at 60fps so the video will be smooth but it seems something that records at 30fps without skipping frames does a good job, I'm not interested in slow motion, just smooth video.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

30. 60 would obviously be better for slow motion but since you're not doing it 30 should be fine. i think theaters use about 24 and your eyes can't tell individual images from them either. all the recent ones are gopro hd. the mcb meetup at sc village had some zi8 footages from when i was not playing but spectating.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I just found this: EPIC Action Cam

The best part is, for me, this is the first helmet/pocket camera I have seen with a zoom feature. It's digital, so I don't know how it would turn out, but 2X on the lower two models and (up to?) 4X on the HD model is really cool. PB is not typically played in the 1X range, at least in terms of a camera picking up the video. 2X would be much better. I actually stopped recording games because you couldn't really see much when I shot at people.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Herp Derp

Try using member in the States as a middleman? Paypal him the money for a GoPro and cost of shipping, then when he gets it have him ship it to the UK.
Gustav12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I just found this: EPIC Action Cam

The best part is, for me, this is the first helmet/pocket camera I have seen with a zoom feature. It's digital, so I don't know how it would turn out, but 2X on the lower two models and (up to?) 4X on the HD model is really cool. PB is not typically played in the 1X range, at least in terms of a camera picking up the video. 2X would be much better. I actually stopped recording games because you couldn't really see much when I shot at people.
digital zoom shouldn't count. you can do a better digital zoom job while editing on a computer, especially if you use a program that has stabilization/motion tracking.

case in point... well... i'm uploading it right now but there are examples of 3x digital zoom using 1080p footage, which brings me to my other point: that camera is only 720p @ 30fps with their HD version.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I just lost everything I was typing, but check out the second section in this link: Utah Trikes Tip - Modifying the ATC-2000 camera for better audio and video I have that same camera and it isn't being used, so I'm going to try to do this mod, only with a 2X lens that is in that series. I'm going to need it with this:

EDIT: Links to videos when they are ready heinous?

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I just lost everything I was typing, but check out the second section in this link: Utah Trikes Tip - Modifying the ATC-2000 camera for better audio and video I have that same camera and it isn't being used, so I'm going to try to do this mod, only with a 2X lens that is in that series. I'm going to need it with this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...l/DSCN1289.jpg

EDIT: Links to videos when they are ready heinous?
lol i have that atc2k too! i got cheap and just glued a household front door peephole for wide angle, but alas, it doesn't read sdhc so that is why it is just sitting there now.

sure thing on the link. it'll either be tonight or tomorrow. i think it showcases a little something else that mcb'ers would enjoy as well.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone