mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the info. I knew some screwy stuff went down but wasn't sure what. Another question, is your montneel.com any way related to the mega z. It wouldn't come up when I tried it. We had z-1's as rentals.
magman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman79 View Post
Another question, is your montneel.com any way related to the mega z. It wouldn't come up when I tried it. We had z-1's as rentals.
Yes, related. It originally started in the mid 90s and an unofficial website for Montneel Inc. But then it evolved into a historical website around 2004 when I realized that they had been pretty much forgotten.

The server had died, but I didn't realize, so it should be up now? A couple years ago I switched careers from IT to sales, and no longer sit at a computer all day pretending to work.

Anyway, my favorite era had always been the early 90s. Before electros, but more importantly before the mega-corporations, and hyper marketing, etc. and most tournaments were still in the woods, at big fields! Just imagine.....

Lots of fields used Rental Zs back then. Mostly in the northeast. Its a good thing since all those old field guns are the primary source of parts to keep our guns going!

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post

Anyway, my favorite era had always been the early 90s. Before electros, but more importantly before the mega-corporations, and hyper marketing, etc. and most tournaments were still in the woods, at big fields! Just imagine.....

Lots of fields used Rental Zs back then. Mostly in the northeast. Its a good thing since all those old field guns are the primary source of parts to keep our guns going!
This was my favorite also. Great sight, it was like a step back in time. We met Blue at Blizzard Ball, I think in 94 or 95. Our store was in north central Pa. so we went to see Blue a lot. We even played in a 3 man with his son when he was 16 and came in second. Of course loosing to Mike's friends who were all shooting Z's. Just watching the smoke coming out the barrels takes me to the woods.

I was going to buy a Z rental that I found on here but I didn't think we could get parts for it. The first time Mike took us up to the castle it was like disney for paintball players. That place is awesome. If people only could play with a Z today. They should have Z only tourneys. Awesome guns and sight. I'll pass it on.
magman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman79 View Post
I was going to buy a Z rental that I found on here but I didn't think we could get parts for it. They should have Z only tourneys. Awesome guns and sight. I'll pass it on.
Keeping guns running from the "old days" is a popular topic here, as you might guess.

The Z is no different. About 18,000 guns were made from 1992 to 1996, and are mostly interchangable. So they are not super rare. You always see them floating around Ebay and here..... thats important because used Zs are the primary source of parts to keep other Zs running.

Years ago I bought a pile of old rental Zs, and have been using the valves, sears, etc ever since. Keeps my guns going another year. And if your desperate, Perry Khuen bought up all the old Montneel stock back in 1997, but its been sitting in his garage ever since. He will sell new/old stock, but at 1997 prices!

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone