mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

2 questions

1. Why does it seem like everyone is selling their cocker collections?

2. Has anyone seen people advertising HP tanks out of date and telling buyers not to worry, no one checks them anyway?

Just something to chat about, I'll throw in my two cents in awhile.
magman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

cockers a worth alittle bit so the way the economy is it seems like it could get you some cash fast.

ive only seen that on pbnation
MIDWESTHIPPO117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

I admit I'm selling off my 'cocker project. I'm getting lazy in my old age and don't want to mess with timing a 'cocker anymore. They're cool, just the sound of a well-tuned "pump clacker" stringing shots together will always be one of my favorite paintball sounds, but I (like a lot of you out there, admit it) am just not interested in maintenance intensive equipment. Two weekends ago I played Black Hawk Down at D-Day in Oklahoma, and all I did was give my marker paint and air, and check it's chrono before every game. That ease of use was so welcome, hence why the 'cocker is going bye-bye.

(sorry, it's already sold to a bud who had first dibs, please don't PM me.)

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I see this thread didn't go over well. I was just wondering if anyone thought that paintball may be going back to it's beginnings. Seems like the big deal now is converting cockers to pumps. All the years that I played I think the most fun we ever had was playing in the woods with pumps. It took real teamwork and the right time to shoot.

The other thing that bothered me was people using expired HP tanks and knowing it. Is a $30 hydro worth someone getting killed?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman79 View Post
I see this thread didn't go over well. I was just wondering if anyone thought that paintball may be going back to it's beginnings. Seems like the big deal now is converting cockers to pumps. All the years that I played I think the most fun we ever had was playing in the woods with pumps. It took real teamwork and the right time to shoot.

The other thing that bothered me was people using expired HP tanks and knowing it. Is a $30 hydro worth someone getting killed?
pumps are just cool lol

where i live its only $15 to rehydro
MIDWESTHIPPO117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Howdy!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Just about any scuba shop will hydro for $20

And yes, pumps are extremely fun!

Metadyne: Replacing broken parts, with NEW broken parts so you still can't use your new gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Redheads, brass, and wood; it's an MCB thing....
MY FEEDBACK
Chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Future Robocop

I've noticed a revamped desire for cockers which is why I've started buying/selling them again. For the longest time, no one would touch cockers if it wasn't pump. Ebay especially has an increased desire for cockers. Just sold my Stock 04 prostock for $160 there. I'd have only gotten maybe $100-120 here.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
Just about any scuba shop will hydro for $20
Its been my experience that most will not hydro your tank unless you have a scuba license.... and even then, many will still not do a paintball tank.

The problem is that so many paintball tanks fail hydro because locktite was used on the valve, leading to pissed off owners. So some scuba shops would rather not bother.

Regardless, I do see expired tanks for sale all the time on PBN, and Ebay. The bigger issue is not so much the $15 rehydro, but the fact that many of those tanks have hit there 15-year life span.... meaning they should be destroyed!

The sale of cockers is in 2 parts:
First, cockers became "uncool" in the last 5 years for the very reason that made them "cool" 20 years ago. People love the closed-bolt steampunk nature, with all the moving parts, hoses, and external pneumatics. Today, they are looked as clunky, slow, problematic, and out of date. Cockers are no longer made as a result.

Second, "high end" paintball in general is in steep decline. The tournament scene started to resemble "roller derby", and was a general farce at the best of times. People hated the $1000+ price tags, and rotten "pro" attitudes. There is such a backlash that the entire sport has shifted back to its roots. More rec and milsim oriented. You would think this might popularize the cocker, but instead the focus was on pumps and such.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Its been my experience that most will not hydro your tank unless you have a scuba license.... and even then, many will still not do a paintball tank.

The problem is that so many paintball tanks fail hydro because locktite was used on the valve, leading to pissed off owners. So some scuba shops would rather not bother.

Regardless, I do see expired tanks for sale all the time on PBN, and Ebay. The bigger issue is not so much the $15 rehydro, but the fact that many of those tanks have hit there 15-year life span.... meaning they should be destroyed!

The sale of cockers is in 2 parts:
First, cockers became "uncool" in the last 5 years for the very reason that made them "cool" 20 years ago. People love the closed-bolt steampunk nature, with all the moving parts, hoses, and external pneumatics. Today, they are looked as clunky, slow, problematic, and out of date. Cockers are no longer made as a result.

Second, "high end" paintball in general is in steep decline. The tournament scene started to resemble "roller derby", and was a general farce at the best of times. People hated the $1000+ price tags, and rotten "pro" attitudes. There is such a backlash that the entire sport has shifted back to its roots. More rec and milsim oriented. You would think this might popularize the cocker, but instead the focus was on pumps and such.
I'm hoping it all comes full circle. It was great going to tournaments and it was the mags against the cockers. I've owned two cockers and a soverign and never could get them running right. That's why I always played with a mag. I think the thing about the cockers was that why was it that one team could just dominate with cockers, shooting faster and straighter than mags, and other teams you would see cockers torn apart and guys throwing stuff and swearing they would never play again.
I remember being at the NPPL in Pitt. around 95 and a guy had the first cocker pump I ever saw. He could shoot that thing fast than most semi's. Everyone was amazed.
I wanted to ask you about your quote about smart parts not inventing the elec. marker. I don't know if they did or not but I stood right next to Billy when they got there first proto types and he was working on one.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman79 View Post
I wanted to ask you about your quote about smart parts not inventing the elec. marker. I don't know if they did or not but I stood right next to Billy when they got there first proto types and he was working on one.
That quote came from the original SP vs WDP trial.
I have no doubt that you saw Billy holding one of the original PVI Shocker prototypes.

But during the trial, Billy had to admit that he did not design -any- part of the PVI Shocker. All the original design, prototyping, fabrication, testing, and eventual production was done by PVI.

Billy merely went to PVI and said "Hey, design and build an electro and we will sell it". The fact that it was electro did not seem patent-worthy since at the time, PVI only patented its fairly complex dual-solenoid/poppet system.

Famously, SP aquired the PVI patent when SP forced PVI into bankrupcy. But the patent was only partially owned by PVI. A scientist that PVI hired also owned a piece, and he sold that piece to WDP.

Confused? The bottom line is that when SP tried to sue WDP, the judge noticed that neither party had "invented" the electro, and neither party had patented the electro. Anyway, that is the context of the quote.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone