mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rec Poster

damn, ill just rent a tank lol. I hope the fields in NC do compressed air :O
Jasonstiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Ok, that's funny. Even if the plane flew in the vacuum of space, you are looking at a pressure difference of about 14.7 psi. That isn't that big of a pressure change. Sure that's a lot for people, but not so much for a tank that holds 1000+psi.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I work on aircraft and we use a pressurization test set. To simulate 35,000 feet we crank the vacuum the way up to 16.8psi.
cwest1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
You are safer declairing them as firearms. Ask Weltman. You get lots of extra security making sure that your gun gets off that plane with you and isn't held up with only minimal extra hassle.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I declared them (in Canada) a few times, got the puzzled looks from the clerks, never had any issues or follow-up checks, so I just stopped telling them. The check-in staff don't actually report or do anything when you tell them you have paintball gear so I don't see the point. I just got told the "if security wants to talk to you about it they will call you over the intercom" line a few times. I disassemble it, bring no tanks with me, and place a paintball magazine on top for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
You are safer declairing them as firearms. Ask Weltman. You get lots of extra security making sure that your gun gets off that plane with you and isn't held up with only minimal extra hassle.
In Canada there is a firearm fee that you have to pay per 'firearm' so I try to avoid the "is a paintball gun a firearm?" debate while flying.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Fair enough.

I haven't personally flown with paintball guns but I do know that Weltman does so often, and I remember him having a gun "confiscated" and having a hell of a time getting it back. I believe that delcairing them was the solution that he found to solve that little problem in the future but I can't seem to find the thread now.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have taken my phantom on the plan several times. (It is a bonus because I can use 12 grams there) I haven't said anything, and it has been fine. The first couple of times, I dis assembled it, but then stopped after a while. A phantom, however, on vaguely resembles a fire arm, but your milsim might have a problem. Declare it just to be safe. And yes, if you take a tank with you, the valve must be removed. Call the field that you are going to and see if they will hold on to the tank for you, and you can ship it. Or, call and see if they have air rentals.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I disassemble it, bring no tanks with me, and place a paintball magazine on top for reference.
That is a great idea!!!
cwest1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Ok, that's funny. Even if the plane flew in the vacuum of space, you are looking at a pressure difference of about 14.7 psi. That isn't that big of a pressure change. Sure that's a lot for people, but not so much for a tank that holds 1000+psi.
You're right. Like I said, just repeating what the nice lady in Pittsburgh said. It made sense since I was mentally doing the "atmospheric pressure at 30k ft is like 1/3 of that at sea level, so the pressure in the tank should triple" thing in my mind at the time. Which is of course incorrect. [much shame felt ] So I read up on it to get the proper answer. Spelling it all out for those reading along, and rounding to the nearest whole number...

The pressure read on the gauge is actually the pressure difference between the inside pressure, and the outside pressure. At sea level the outside pressure is around 15 psi, so the absolute pressure of the tank is 3015 psi. At 30k feet, in an unpressurized cargo hold, the outside pressure is around 4 psi. The gauge on the tank would read.... 3011 psi. So yep, no danger there. Unless your particular setup just happens to be 10 psi away from blowing a burst disk. Unlikely, but the potential is there.

But still, got to remove the valve so they can look inside.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
i've flown portland, or to san antonio texas and back.

4 phantoms in my gear bag.
i had 2 in each marker bag.
pb magazine in each.
sent my air tanks ahead of time.
i told TSA and they said, "Paintball... your fine, but thanks for thinkin ahead"

be smart, its easy.

if its super milsim.... you might want to put a couple magazines next to it :P
airtank ship it or pop the reg off

super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
needs time to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
Sound like I should ALWAYS fly with my T8 packed. I will guarantee they will never loose my bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesjackson View Post
Simpler rule:
"Don't be a dick. Anyone caught being a dick will be kicked out and not invited next time. Piss off."

edit- If you need an addendum, "I am the sole judge of what constitutes as dick-like behavior."
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone