mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Transporting markers on a plane

hey guys are there any rules against this? should I disassemble my scenario 98C before I put it in luggage? empty the compressed air tank i know, or is it easier to just use a rental?
Jasonstiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
look at techpb youtube channel i think he did something on this

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

The reg will have to be off of the tank.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

You can only transport the marker in the checked-in luggage and declare it everywhere. When I was bringing mine, they've put a "Firearm inside" sticker on my luggage and at every checkpoint they wanted to look and xray it. Otherwise there was no problem.

As for the tank, I've heard that you have to disassemble it, emptying might not be enough, so you might be better off using a borrowed tank.
pedro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The tank has to have the reg/valve removed for two reason. One, you got a big pressure change while flying, last thing they need is you blowing a burst disk at 30,000 feet. Taking the valve off guarantees that the tank has no pressure in it. Though the the main reason is so they can look inside of it. An air tank a very spacious, air tight, x-ray proof container. They're going to want to look inside of that puppy, just to make sure you're not sneaking anything that you're not supposed to onto the plain.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
The reason the valve has to be removed is so everybody knows that the tank is empty. If the valve is on it is assumed there is air in the tank thus making is illegal to transport. Tanks are also not X-ray proof, X-rays will penetrate cf, steel and co2 tanks.

As far as having to declare paintball markers is completely false. You only have to declare firearms and paintball markers are not firearms.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
^ Maybe in the states...In Canada BOTH Air Canada and WestJet require you to declare them when you check in.

They will then look at you like you just told them you are an alien from outer space here to mate with them...

After that they will send you to get the luggage scanned at which point the guys scanning the bags will go "cool" Then you don't have to worry until you pick it up again on the other end.

You cannot however transport compressed air/CO2 so either borrow a tank on the other end OR as others have said, remove the reg...

Also. OP mentioned you have a Scenario marker. To make your life easier, if you can disassemble it so it does not immediately look like a rifle, that makes the process easier because the check in staff don't freak out as bad.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
SPPL/UWL Veteran

We always found it easiest to ship tanks ahead to the field or a friend.

Lo
Lomarandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancecst View Post
The reason the valve has to be removed is so everybody knows that the tank is empty. If the valve is on it is assumed there is air in the tank thus making is illegal to transport. Tanks are also not X-ray proof, X-rays will penetrate cf, steel and co2 tanks.

As far as having to declare paintball markers is completely false. You only have to declare firearms and paintball markers are not firearms.
Just going by what the nice lady at the check-in told me in Pittsburg, plus...
TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders
Quote:
Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
One, you got a big pressure change while flying, last thing they need is you blowing a burst disk at 30,000 feet.
Ok, that's funny. Even if the plane flew in the vacuum of space, you are looking at a pressure difference of about 14.7 psi. That isn't that big of a pressure change. Sure that's a lot for people, but not so much for a tank that holds 1000+psi.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone