mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Doesn't surprise me either. I stopped using AV sometime ago. Recently been using paintballgateway.com a lot.

HOSTILE! HOSTILE! HOSTILE!

rythm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Sad to see them go, last time I ordered from them was about 2 years ago and the transaction was smooth. I have always ordered from them sporadically but like others I have moved over to ansgear. I feel that ansgear forced/priced them out of the market, alot of the times ans has cheaper prices, matched with fast and reasonable s&h rates. Before AV I always went with 888, they made purchasing gear fun and pleasant, sure miss those guys.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

A lot of people keep mentioning 888paintball and missing them. The story behind that is classic bad business. 888 was owned and operated by National Paintball Supply although they did a shell game on paper to say it was not. Their headquarters just so happened to have the same address as NPS's and the showroom was in the back with doors connected to the warehouse. Thus they were a manufacturer/ distributor and a retailer.

That right there is an edgy situation. Its one thing for a manufacturer like Virtue to sell directly to the public above their MAP or higher than market price. When a manufacturer such as Dye offers it from the factory to the public at their designated MAP its a slap in the face to retailers whom they urge to carry it yet demand they sell at MAP. NPS took it a step further. They would hold back their proprietary products from online and brick and mortar retailers... wholesale customers... so they would be the only online guys with the products to sell for full retail. They were notorious for doing this with Halo Bs, Reloader Bs and Profiler goggles. They also used 888 to blow out slow moving product yet not accepting credit or returns from their wholesale customers when they did.

Once when I tried to order 20 Halo Bs for the 3rd time in three weeks I was told they had zero of all colors and not to expect any for another month. Since I badly needed six for backorders I ordered them at full retail from 888. All six arrived five days later.

Eventually there was such backlash against NPS running 888 on the sly that they closed it down when Angelo-Gordon bought them to form Kee.

Its not good business to compete against your own customers!
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

CCM Fan
That was NPS's whole deal - they signed up a ton of distributors, then started selling directly to the customer base at a lower price.

Made them a bunch of money for a while, but totally hosed the brick and mortar guys.

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

They mentioned on Facebook that they would be temporarily closing the store "due to renovations" starting May 7th...I thought that sounded odd. Who closes their doors completely for renovations with no specific timeframe?

Wow....their website is already down!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchief View Post
They mentioned on Facebook that they would be temporarily closing the store "due to renovations" starting May 7th...I thought that sounded odd. Who closes their doors completely for renovations with no specific timeframe?
smart parts
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

I use to order all my stuff from them about 5-6ish years ago and they were great, super fast shipping and never had a problem. When I started to get back into paintball about a year ago I went to their website and it seemed that they didn't have as much stuff as they use to.
Ryan381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceHead View Post
A lot of people keep mentioning 888paintball and missing them. The story behind that is classic bad business. 888 was owned and operated by National Paintball Supply although they did a shell game on paper to say it was not. Their headquarters just so happened to have the same address as NPS's and the showroom was in the back with doors connected to the warehouse. Thus they were a manufacturer/ distributor and a retailer.

That right there is an edgy situation. Its one thing for a manufacturer like Virtue to sell directly to the public above their MAP or higher than market price. When a manufacturer such as Dye offers it from the factory to the public at their designated MAP its a slap in the face to retailers whom they urge to carry it yet demand they sell at MAP. NPS took it a step further. They would hold back their proprietary products from online and brick and mortar retailers... wholesale customers... so they would be the only online guys with the products to sell for full retail. They were notorious for doing this with Halo Bs, Reloader Bs and Profiler goggles. They also used 888 to blow out slow moving product yet not accepting credit or returns from their wholesale customers when they did.

Once when I tried to order 20 Halo Bs for the 3rd time in three weeks I was told they had zero of all colors and not to expect any for another month. Since I badly needed six for backorders I ordered them at full retail from 888. All six arrived five days later.

Eventually there was such backlash against NPS running 888 on the sly that they closed it down when Angelo-Gordon bought them to form Kee.

Its not good business to compete against your own customers!
You are absolutely right Lettucehead.

I don't think what a company like Valken does is much better though. They will sign everyone and their dog up and give them Team Discounts (I bet I could sign myself up with my dog and cat as team mates and I'd start getting discounts). Once someone is signed up for the Valken discount plan, guess who just got eliminated from the loop? Who is it again that owned NPS/888 and who owns Valken? Dodgy business. Players don't care though for the most part. Why should they? Not even the manufacturers/distributors care?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Didn't Gino own 800Paintball.com as well as 888 and NPS?

I had a dealer account at the time and I could buy items from 800 or 888 cheaper than through my wholesale account sometimes.

I also dealt with I&I Sports back in the day as well ( 1999/2000).
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

I'm always mixed on Valken. It smells of similar games. But at the same time they don't control the distribution for over half the vendors in paintball as in the NPS/888 days.

If nothing else Valken is causing more competition in the scenario/woodsball soft goods market with the wide selection of styles and camo available.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone