mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Taking a bunch of first timers to the field: pump or semi? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/162046-taking-bunch-first-timers-field-pump-semi.html)

mpsd 05-16-2011 06:57 AM

Taking a bunch of first timers to the field: pump or semi?

I'll problay have a game with my coleagues from my new job and most of them never actually played paintball before. I'm going to lend markers for everyone but I'm in doubt on what's better for them: pump or semi?

I think a pump experience can be fun as it's a "lighter" game regarding the ammount of shots and the money spent but would also be a game with more action, regarding movement and technique, thus providing them a good vision of the game.

Semi on the other hand can meet more expectations regarding shooting volume (there are some guys saying they want to shoot like crazy) and, for a first time, it could be easier to them as they wouldn't have to worry so much with gun operation.

What would you guys do in my place?

Please remember this is not about what's better as a game (pump or semi) but what's better for a groups of guys who never played in their lifes.

Please share your thoughts.

thanks,

Mendel.

Target 05-16-2011 07:36 AM

If its a private game, either. To each their preference and have them swap guns to try both.

If at a field, I'd go semi.
If they feel out gunned, they may not enjoy the experience as much.

Its hard enough for experienced pumpers to be competitive at a commercial field, let alone a 1st timer.
Alot may depend on the guns the other players are using.

A first timer with a Trracer against an Ego...bad news.
It no wonder that the rental pumps were hardly used at the field I played at.

Stilgar 05-16-2011 08:33 AM

I would say semi. If they have never played before then let them focus on the game and not the gun.

Also, Would it be a safe bet that most of them wont play again or wont make paintball part of their regular routine? If so, Let them blast away and have fun "shooting like Crazy!"

I have seen renters at the local field having almost as much fun shooting at the crono station than playing the game...Sometimes its all about shooting stuff.

Spider! 05-16-2011 10:20 AM

I vote for the semi too.

My son and I have been stunned to find that many our team mates for the last several years have never picked up a pump before. A few have not even handled a pump shotgun before, so the whole pump action thing was a mystery. Things we take for granted (like oil for regulators and pump actions) can still be foreign to even the "experienced" players that haven't dealt with it.

Having a pump around for anyone interested is good for entertainment though. And if the "crazy" guys get too busy, they get the pumps next.

mpsd 05-16-2011 10:25 AM

Thanks for the imput, guys.

It's a private game, I forgot to mention that. The plan is to everyone leave the office a little earlier (say, 5:30 PM) and we should all go have some fun at a nearby speedball field for one hour or so.

I think I'll go with semi as Stilgar said.

That will also allow me to do a nice picture of an Automag only game, something that hasn't been seen here in Brazil for over 10 years, I believe.

Ginga G 05-16-2011 10:38 AM

Mech semi or pump, just dont hand newbies something with a twitchy trigger, just not good news.

georgeyew 05-16-2011 10:44 AM

Since it is a private game. I'd say pump, so people don't get overshot and everyone is on a level playing field equipment-wise.

bellicose 05-16-2011 01:35 PM

I took some first timers out for a private game, and I loaned every one a pump. Of course, it was outlaw, and 12grams were more plentiful than air tanks.

russc 05-16-2011 01:40 PM

If you want simplicity and a pump style game, just measure out 50-60 paintballs before each game. That'll mean they need to pick their shots, while they won't need to think about how the guns work.

Daze 05-16-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 1833652)
If you want simplicity and a pump style game, just measure out 50-60 paintballs before each game. That'll mean they need to pick their shots, while they won't need to think about how the guns work.

This is what I was thinking. Small hoppers or 100 round limits and semi. Fill up a couple of hoppers for the crazy shooters after everyone is almost done and let them have at it.