mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Definition of a Pump (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/162625-definition-pump.html)

KPCS 05-20-2011 09:38 PM

Definition of a Pump

What is the Definition of a Pump Marker ???

I ask because I had a idea. Which I'm sure someone has thought about this too.

Let take a Spyder and make into a pump. First thing everybody wants to do it change the valve to stop it on becoming a semi. Right ??
Well let not. Keep the valve setup the same as a semi but disconnect bolt from the hammer and put a pump handle on the bolt only.

Air would re-cock the hammer but by pumping the bolt back out only let one ball in at a time.

Would this still qualify it as a pump ???

Ken W

LilShank 05-20-2011 09:39 PM

Could you still pull the trigger multiple times to release bursts of air? Not that it would do anything, just curious.

russc 05-20-2011 09:39 PM

yeah, same deal as MQ pumps and these SSC Ego pumps. I personally don't think they're quite as elegant as a normal pump, but that's a matter of opinion.

KPCS 05-20-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilShank (Post 1840766)
Could you still pull the trigger multiple times to release bursts of air? Not that it would do anything, just curious.

Yes, it would be like a semi but the bolt is moved manual.

Ken W

Levon12345 05-20-2011 09:47 PM

You gotta move a part of the gun at least .68 of an inch. I say a pump!

RaSs_FR 05-20-2011 09:58 PM

Yeah same here. As long as you need a full .68 pump travel per shot it belongs into the pump category in my opinion.

skipjack289 05-20-2011 10:05 PM

I've always been told that the bolt is the key to a pump.
Manually open and close the bolt w/o any other assist.
Never heard about how the hammer should operate.

But this thread is still young.......:rolleyes:

Diomedes 05-20-2011 10:13 PM

Well, let's see. MQ pumps are still pumps, right? This is the same principle, just less refined mechanically. You have to pull the trigger to shoot, and then can't shoot again until you complete a separate action. I say pump, just with a wicked light pump stroke.

HurtCow 05-20-2011 10:50 PM

Pump Mags are a good example of a pump semi thingy. The action cycles but you have to reset the bolt.

Talfuchre 05-20-2011 11:01 PM

In my mind - the pump must chamber the ball, and recock the marker without assistance.

If you only chamber the ball by pumping it - it is not a pump.

If you only re-cock the marker by pumping it - it is not a pump.

I think of this like a pump shotgun. It both recocks the shotgun, and chambers the round.

If you can fire the marker repeatedly without pumping it - it is not a pump.

To me, many markers depend on if you deem loading a spring to be essential to it being a pump.

P-mag's require you to chamber a ball (or allow a ball to fall into a chamber) and reset the marker to be fired. But you are not loading a spring.

MQ'd pumps require you to chamber a ball - but do not reset the marker to fire. I disagree with Diomedes here - you can fire again without pumping - you just cannot fire a ball. It, to my mind, is not a pump.

PA'd pumps are just auto cockers that toggle the 4 way with a pump handle. They are the least pump-like of the breed.

With all of that said - I really don't care what I play with or against - pumps are hard enough to play with - so they all 'count' in my book - but some are not pure pumps.

TF