mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
AKA...The Gobbler!

CCM Fan
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Camera is pointed down too much. The only thing that was really visible most of the time was the back of your rotor and xvalve, and your hands. It was seldom that the shot was high enough to catch much of the action.
Personally I am not a fan of the barrel cam idea as it too often is pointed at the ground or the back of a bunker. The idea (hopefully) of a helmet cam is to see what the wearer saw.
The camera is designed to shoot a wide angle, hence the "fish eye" look. To get rid of the hopper and marker is virtually impossible. It is a learning process, so the angle of the camera is duly noted.
Tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Share your tech and setup details! It is always good to see what methods people are trying for their hardware mounts.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have a specific mask that has a mount drilled and zipped tied. The barrel cam is only good if you edit out all the other stuff.

www.KnightStalkersPaintball.com

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
MrFancyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
AKA...The Gobbler!

CCM Fan
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Share your tech and setup details! It is always good to see what methods people are trying for their hardware mounts.
Just the factory goggle mount to the strap of my mask. Works perfect...nothing custom or modded.
Tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Largest in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuck View Post
No worries, I appreciate all the feedback; positive or negative. Originally I had planned on no music and just the on field audio. When I converted the format for the video to be able to use my movie maker the audio didn't transfer for some reason. Next time will be on field audio only for sure.
If you have an older video editing program, mpeg4s which may or may not be what contours save their files as will lose sound. Premier Pro CS4 would actually only import the audio. I had to convert the container on every clip to .mov. Premier Pro CS5 doesn't have that issue.

A few thing's I've learned over the past year+ making vids for the field is to pick your song FIRST and then edit your vid over it not the other way around. You can mess with the volumes so you have music and the sounds of the game at the same time. Here's an example of the above. Posted this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STAz1JlGIRQ

Also, sometimes you may have to play the same field twice, run the same route, and attach the camera in different places and edit it together to make a more interesting vid. Short example of that is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS6EkfKD6cs

Keep on makin vids man! The ideal set up (In my eyes) is a contour on your mask and a Go Pro on your gun (barrel cam). Paintball is one of the most difficult things to film in a way that keeps people interested. The more you do the better you'll get at it. You seem to already have your head wrapped around the basics of it which is a good thing. Good luck with your future projects!
OSG Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Personally I am not a fan of the barrel cam idea as it too often is pointed at the ground or the back of a bunker. The idea (hopefully) of a helmet cam is to see what the wearer saw.
That's why you edit, all videos need editing with few exceptions. However really, having it on-gun promotes proper gun-up play. Helmet cams will see the back of bunkers (or hoppers) often as well if the player's any good. It's not an issue to keep the gun up regardless, and as it turns out, the gun makes an excellent stable platform that usually "sees" the action. Never seen a helmet cam video that shows the play better than barrel cam vids.

Last edited by drg; 05-25-2011 at 11:44 PM.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Blue resistance movement.

Good job ! Did you film in full 1080 or step it down a bit. 1080 produces huge files and takes a good computer to process quickly for editing

I may suggest moving your camera to different mounts and edit it all together. Getting the right tilt angle if you wear it on your head is crucial or you will end up with too much video of the ground or sky. Next time, I will have a friend carry the camera as well to get footage third person style. Here is my first vid with the same camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSpxiFnzd4

It puts the hands in the air or it gets the paint again.
Rickfactor2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone