mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
I personally like my Exalt tank cover over the BlackStar because it does cover up the tank a little further.
Both are a PITA to get on and once you are used to them they are easy to do. You actually use the same technique to get them on. Flip the tank cover inside out and roll it onto the tank. The Exalt is thinner then the Blackstar but is longer and covers more of the tank.
Again like Blackrain said, I would rather cover my tank up a bit more then have a hole drilled into it when I go to hydro-test it.

PS... I already have marks in my tank cover from diving into bunkers. Better marks in the cover then marks in the tank right?
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

I dig the tape. I use renfru hockey tape on all my tanks and it works awesome

It gives just enough tack to hold against my shoulder, but not so much that it rips my jersey. I've tried the rubber end caps, like BS, Exalt, Angel, and I still tend to like the hockey tape the best. It's cheap ($3 for a roll that does about 10 tanks), easy to remove, easy to replace, and extremely low profile on the tank.

I always keep a roll in my toolkit, in case a new player with a shiny slick new tank comes to the field :-)
TechPB-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Has anyone ever used the big condoms that are sold at Spencer's store?

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Lots of major events check tanks going to be used, and will make you peel the hockey tape off so they can make sure you're not covering up a major nick in the tank with it. Unless you want to be "that guy" holding up a line trying to get all the tape off your tank, get a removable cover.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

^^ I'm pretty sure if they are visually inspecting every single tank at a major event, you'll be in line long enough to remove your hockey tape.

With that being said, I've never been to an event where the person running the fill station decided he was going to give every single player a free ASTM visual inspection on every tank that was in line to be filled.

Check hydro dates? Yea I've seen that, but inspecting everyone's tank for nicks and scratches? I've never seen that happen. And what about the recent "gel coated" tanks that tend to get cracks / nicks / bubbles in the gel coat? The resin, carbon fiber and aluminum structure are all 100% perfect, just the gel coat is cracked.

But if the people running the air fill stations do decide to visually inspect every single tank at a tournament, ABOVE simply checking the hydro date, you'll have MORE than enough time to take off your tank tape / rubber cap / tank cover, because you'll be waiting for the other 500+ people in front of you to do the same thing
TechPB-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I've tried the tape idea that I saw on some TechPB video a long time ago. Didn't really dig it as much as a cover. Now, I don't use a huge cover either. I've been using a redz tank cover that's pretty thin. For me, I don't want my tank scratched up. It cost me a TON of money and even though a cover won't really offer much protection, it's just a peace of mind thing I guess.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Person

thanks guys i will just get the butt but since they are so cheap im might get both and try them

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone