mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #91 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker-Monkey View Post
How is that a bad thing?

Why are tournaments bad?
Sum total, I think it at best drives as many people away as it attracts. No numbers to back that up just yet. I think they exist, but it's a hunch.

Again, bounding the problem -- if tournaments were to go away, people don't seem to think it would affect paintball that much. If it is a "good", then it is a "small good", if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker-Monkey View Post
Ahh and yet things must be allowed to evolve. I was quite close with some senior Unix admins when Linux was released.. guess what they thought about it?
Well, let's see here. Linus was originally developing a terminal program when he realized that he had implemented so many system calls that he almost had an operating system. So he polished it up and released it. Obviously, it was in its infancy. Even he didn't think it would get much beyond i386 support.

However, the difference between Linux and many other UNIX-like OS's of the day, was that people with grievances could actually get their code and fixes accepted by Linus instead of getting ignored.

So to answer your question, I don't know your administrators. If they were strict administrators -- no programming skills -- they probably hated Linux because it was deficient.

If they were programmers and knew their stuff, they were probably happy that someone would finally accept their patches.

Point still stands -- open criticism (and now, acceptance of fixes) is necessary.

Yes, things must be allowed to evolve. And when they refuse to evolve, they should meet their rightful end.

Last edited by GoatBoy; 06-23-2011 at 11:00 PM.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #92 (permalink)

And this experience that they had will likely have them coming back for more. This is what we should be doing to encourage the growth of the sport as experienced players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirad View Post
Regardless if your a tourney or rec ball player, it boils down to the player themselves if they want everyone else to have a good time or not. Of course with the usual people that I play with, we turn it up a notch.

Last Sunday, we pump players toned it down a bit and tried to make it fun for the Tippmann rentals. We took a whole lot longer too shoot and stayed in the back in the 50 and 40 bunkers. I'm not sure why the rentals didn't make a move on us since we kept giving them so many opportunities to do so.

Heck, I was shooting from the snake at the 40 line and purposely trying NOT to hit the rentals. I aimed at their bunkers or a few feet in front of them. Yet for some reason, a few rounds managed to swirl and hit 2 of them.

On some games, I would expose my elbow or my mask for a period of time just to have the rentals shoot at me for a while. I'd shoot back, but not at them. On another game, I was at the snake hiding behind a bunker shooting at a female's bunker which was on my cross. I purposely let her get the head shot and she shouted with enthusiasm, "YES!" and did a fist pump.

Any type of player is good for paintball, just not the douchebags.

My feedback link:[http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...l#post1868528]
r90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #93 (permalink)
I win, 8==bd==8

Send a message via AIM to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via MSN to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Bunker-Monkey

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
Be the change you want to see.
Good stuff Fluff. I will continue to do as I have done. Have fun with any format of paintball that I am able to play. Work hard with non players to try to get them out for rec days. Help rec players learn how to play with sportsmanship and skill and still have fun. Show tourney players that you don't need to be an *** to everyone and do my best to try to help more people get more involved in paintball.

Bunker

I would like to thank beer for paintball ::: AKA proudly sponsored by SHIPYARD ALE

---------------------------
Nothing is stylish in the deadbox. - NSGSplatmaster
No matter how hot she is, somewhere there is a man that is sick of her ****. - ChaplainBane

The Bunker Monkey Wish List... help me fill it!

Bunker-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #94 (permalink)
Stock Class Playa

I told the rentals that we were shooting pumps before we joined them. My group and I watched them play a few games to get settled in before we joined in the fun. The rentals were running around, shooting a lot, and playing aggressively I tell you. That all changed when we walked in.

We did mix the teams up, but sadly not one of the rentals charged across the field like I was hoping

We even lowered the amount of paint we carried to 4 - 10 rnd tubes and 10 in the feed to encourage the rentals to "overpower" us. I wish they took the bait.
Mirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #95 (permalink)
I win, 8==bd==8

Send a message via AIM to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via MSN to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Bunker-Monkey

CCM Fan
Quote:
I told the rentals that we were shooting pumps before we joined them. My group and I watched them play a few games to get settled in before we joined in the fun. The rentals were running around, shooting a lot, and playing aggressively I tell you. That all changed when we walked in.

We did mix the teams up, but sadly not one of the rentals charged across the field like I was hoping

We even lowered the amount of paint we carried to 4 - 10 rnd tubes and 10 in the feed to encourage the rentals to "overpower" us. I wish they took the bait.
Well it sounds like they had fun and they will be back. So it really is a win.

Bunker

I would like to thank beer for paintball ::: AKA proudly sponsored by SHIPYARD ALE

---------------------------
Nothing is stylish in the deadbox. - NSGSplatmaster
No matter how hot she is, somewhere there is a man that is sick of her ****. - ChaplainBane

The Bunker Monkey Wish List... help me fill it!

Bunker-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #96 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:

I walked into a rec group after working on the lower field all day on a skid steer. I had picked up a rental gun and stuffed a pod of paint into my back pocket. These guys had played all day and were "good", at least they insisted that was the case. They were playing aggressively and I limited myself by staying in the back - though I did move to prevent them from zeroing in on me. After two games they quit playing as aggressively and I walked away to let them play. Unfortunately, even if you play "laid back" the skill level is still enough to intimidate new players, and I am not that good. Tournament players alone are not the issue, the issue is when fields feel they have to mix groups. I know some do because of crowd sizes, but mixing groups is seldom fun for a majority of those of less skill.

I am going to use the example of girls softball which I coach. Take a girl who plays 10 and under and has "become a star", even gone to the all star team. She loves the game, enjoys every moment of it, and really has fun. The parents decide she is good enough to move up to the next level and move her early. She sits on the bench and does not play as much. Does she have fun?

Its much harder to seperate groups in paintball. However, if you overwhelm the newer players they will, for the most part, quit enjoying the game. While I think that tournament style play has advanced to a dangerous level and is beyond any reasonable level of sportsmanship AS A WHOLE I do not think it is negative for paintball IF IT IS KEPT QUARANTINED AND CONTAINED from the rest.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 06-24-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #97 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

You know, the thought occurred to me today... Paintball for the last, I don’t know, decade or so sort of sold its soul to tournament play under the false hopes that it would make it onto TV and a be considered a bigtime sport. I think we’ve all seen how successful that has been.

On the flipside, look at all the player videos on youtube. Yes, some of them are of tournament centered, but then you have vids like Wolf’s (I don’t even like Wolf, but I have to acknowledge the appeal of his videos) and all these other user created, youtube-hosted FPS cams of people just playing and having fun... They’re not all top quality, but I think there’s enough good content that’s doing far, FAR more for paintball than the previous over-polished (turd), over-hyped, Doritos flavored tournament campaign.

I’ve seen the tournament paintball stuff occasionally on TV, and it only made me want to change the channel.

Seeing the user paintball stuff on youtube makes me want to go out and shoot someone. In a good way.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone