mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Tippmann tippmann tippmann.

My field here had spyders at the start. Huge problems. They took a ton of maintenence, the kiddies would pull the bolt pins out and lose them, the frames would crack, every now and then a kid would just pull the spring out the back.

Quick strip features is crazy nice for your own gun, but for rental it's a big issue.

Model 98's never need to be taken apart unless they have a part break which is rare, if it ever happens, and if you make sure the barrels are clean they shoot pretty dang well no matter how much you put them through. I have a m98 as a primary woodsball marker myself for that one reason.

The biggest thing is that they are concealed. You can't take the bolt, hammer or springs out on the field and they never wear out. My tippmann has 100's of cases on it and the only thing I've ever given it was oil and a new detent every year every time I take it apart.

Tippmann are by far the best rental markers I've ever seen. A bit pricey upfront but well worth it in a quality rental fleet.

Josh
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Ah! That's a good point... The latest version of rental piranhas come with a quick strip pin that has a locking mechanism, so that a renter can't remove the pin on the field.

I have a maintenance contract with one of the local fields, and repair all the broken guns... The have Piranhas, Prolites, and 98s. Being industrial minded, I keep a maintenance log with the serial and problem with every gun that comes in.

Last batch, I had 23 piranhas and 7 98s. The prolites aren't worth mentioning because of how long they've been in service (a long time, but every other one that breaks down is done for good.)

Of the piranhas, 15 just need cleaned and/or the ring replaced on the hammer. 6 had sear issues and either needed a new hammer or a new sear. And two were unfixable because the trigger sear pin had fallen out of the trigger and we don't stock those spares. To troubleshoot and repair a piranha takes about 10 minutes.

I DO feel like hardened components would eliminate almost all of the sear issues. And because you would probably clean them for storage after each use, the 15 "needs cleaned and oiled" guns wouldn't present an issue.

Meanwhile, the 98s all either had a powertube crack or a sear issue. So every one that goes down needs parts ($). Troubleshooting and repairing can take up to 45 minutes each unit. The clamshell design just makes it ridiculously hard to work on. If you have multiple problems with one gun, you end up taking apart the gun multiple times.

There is a modification that some people have done, involving cutting one shell of a 98 on a bandsaw, so that you can access components a lot easier, with fewer screws.

From a feasibility standpoint, either type of gun will work... Especially considering that you'd put less than 100 hours playing/year for each gun you get for this purpose. Which gun type you prefer to service should probably be the deciding factor.

Something else to consider is that if you're gaining access for as long as you're lending guns... Then the guns are yours. And if you're picking them up for 20 each or so, then you can certainly liquidate them at 20 each when you no longer want to play there. And the bulk of the time, you won't need to keep 14 guns running. It will usually be just one or two lent out.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

I'd second bigballa and Alpha. Piranhas and choice Tippies and Spyders are a good bet.

For Tippies it's Pro/Am/Lite, Carbine, 98. You can practically find them in giveaway bins these days, and they are mostly bulletproof. Powertubes are the bane of the 98, but even that is relatively rare, and most of the cheapies on eBay have never been rentals anyway.

Spyders are more spotty. Some are better than others. The Rodeo is a superb specimen, and you can pick them up in packages for cheap.

Shoot, with as much stuff as we have floating around in the MCB star system, I'd be surprised if you can't find most of what you're looking for here, and for reasonable coin.

If nothing else we can keep eyes and ears out for good deals out there.

PMd you to that effect.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
So far, a lot of things have been said that have started the gears grinding.

Eventually, I would like to have enough to outfit roughly 15 to 20 people. That way, if I can get a group of people who want to play outlaw ball and they don't have gear, I can set them up for about $10 - $15. Paint I'll source on the internet (most likely from here) and air I can get in town (bulk CO2 and eventually Scuba Tanks).

The guy who's trying to get this set up for his kid implied that if I can get it going, I'm welcome to use his land.

Also, does anyone know the legalities of doing a mobile like setup? Say, I provide the gear, paint and air, they provide the people and land. Say for Birthday parties, Frat parties, Bachelor Parties, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
SPPL/UWL Veteran

It was right before I moved to Northern CO, but there was a guy... maybe someone will remember his name.. who did just that. He'd travel around with a couple of full scubas and paint and equipment in a trailer..

So it's at least been done. I don't know how successfully.

Lo
Lomarandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sure maybe do gear, paint, and refs....could be a way to go...portable outlaw ball.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
So far, a lot of things have been said that have started the gears grinding.

Eventually, I would like to have enough to outfit roughly 15 to 20 people. That way, if I can get a group of people who want to play outlaw ball and they don't have gear, I can set them up for about $10 - $15. Paint I'll source on the internet (most likely from here) and air I can get in town (bulk CO2 and eventually Scuba Tanks).

The guy who's trying to get this set up for his kid implied that if I can get it going, I'm welcome to use his land.

Also, does anyone know the legalities of doing a mobile like setup? Say, I provide the gear, paint and air, they provide the people and land. Say for Birthday parties, Frat parties, Bachelor Parties, etc.
Get that in writing.

As far as legalities, there are none that you'll come up against. Er.... You'll need a license to exchange money in national forest land. If that's in the plan.

Liability is an issue... If you *only* rent equipment and do not provide a place to play, then the only liability you expose yourself to is a mask failure. If you maintain the masks properly (and document a maintenance log) then you'll be pretty well covered with a small waiver against misuse. Theoretically.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

Palmers Fan
I'll check my local craigslist and see if anything pops up to meet your needs.
Unfortunately what I tend to see for my region is people who think their 5 year old stock 98c should still net them $200

but if something looks good I'll shoot you a PM with the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron:1887486
I'll check my local craigslist and see if anything pops up to meet your needs.
Unfortunately what I tend to see for my region is people who think their 5 year old stock 98c should still net them $200

but if something looks good I'll shoot you a PM with the link
Gosh dang, aint that the truth! I know it might be a little more expensive but you could always scour the internetz for cheap basic automags. I picked up a nice one for $50 bucks the other day.

One thing about spyders i hate is their crappy feednecks. You will constantly be replacing those elbows.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ouch it will be hard to do for your budget. On ebay and caigs list people really think that gear goes up in value over time. I had trouble getting my cousins 98's mask and tanks for under $125 each. You might get lucky though, plus we are here to help! Personally I'd stay away from spyders though. That metric gas line on them just ruins them. You might want to look into bt 4s, just a thought, I know kee does rental packages with them, but have no idea what they are asking, it might not be cost effective.
Mavalon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone