mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Rental Gear

Okay, so a guy my wife knows through her business has a 14 year old son who's really into paintball.

SO, every year he spends ~$500 renting gear for him and 14 friends and buying 3 cases of paint. He told my wife that if I could get the gear (Gun, hoppers, tanks, BBDs and Masks, he would let me run the field that day and if it went well, I could use his field (5 acres) to play paintball on as long as his son was allowed.

So, my question for the masses, where would one find that amount of rental gear? He said they use Tippmann's and the like so nothing terribly fancy. I figure if I order paint for $30 a case off the interwebz, that leaves $400 for gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
For that price, could you find one of those deal where old field close? Or otherwise you may have to keep looking and pick up spyders on the cheap? They tend to pop up at $20 bucks a piece every now and then.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
We have a field at the base and I may talk to them as I don't think the base actually owns the equipment.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Here's what a commercial starter package looks like...

Pro Star Sports Field Operators Starter Packages.

Tippmanns are more expensive than stbb's, but the stbb's require twice as much maintenance. Of course, the stbb's take half as long as a tippy to maintain, for an experienced guy. The cost ends up being about the same, when it comes to cheap stbbs.

Something I've wondered, though... The number one problem with field rental stbb's that I've seen is that the sears and the hammers wear out. Most field rental stbb's are piranhas. Meanwhile, Spyders have hardened hammers and hardened sears... That's a HUGE decrease in replacement parts. The most common wear part after the hammer/sear is the detent, and then the trigger sear, which may or may not be hardened on spyders.

You can probably find an adequate fleet of either Tippmanns or Spyders for under that 500 dollar investment point... But it might take a bit of time to get them together.

I know Melkson was looking at selling some stbbs, but I'm not sure which brand. And since Spyders are the only ones that I know have hardened components, I would stick to them.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

i think you should buy all new ego 11's and geo 2.1's for the renters
jk good luck
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

PM on the way Josh

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Here's what a commercial starter package looks like...

Pro Star Sports Field Operators Starter Packages.

Tippmanns are more expensive than stbb's, but the stbb's require twice as much maintenance. Of course, the stbb's take half as long as a tippy to maintain, for an experienced guy. The cost ends up being about the same, when it comes to cheap stbbs.

Something I've wondered, though... The number one problem with field rental stbb's that I've seen is that the sears and the hammers wear out. Most field rental stbb's are piranhas. Meanwhile, Spyders have hardened hammers and hardened sears... That's a HUGE decrease in replacement parts. The most common wear part after the hammer/sear is the detent, and then the trigger sear, which may or may not be hardened on spyders.

You can probably find an adequate fleet of either Tippmanns or Spyders for under that 500 dollar investment point... But it might take a bit of time to get them together.

I know Melkson was looking at selling some stbbs, but I'm not sure which brand. And since Spyders are the only ones that I know have hardened components, I would stick to them.
Thanks for the link! I'm pretty adept at fixing most guns, especially mechs. If I could get a rental fleet for what he usually pays to rent them, I think I could loan them out and use his field each weekend. A field to use in lieu of letting his kid play works for me.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
That's what I had figured on your budget.

16 (14+2 backups) spyders at around 20/each would be 320 bucks.

You'll be able to find some a little cheaper in bulk, and some a little more expensive. Sometimes the packages that show up on ebay will include tanks and hoppers. Estimate that at about 50% of the guns you buy, and add 10 bucks/ each unit that needs one.

That's 8*10. 80 bucks.

Thats 400.

What do you plan on doing for air and masks? And paint. Remember that one huge advantage a field has is all-day air. And that could be a damning investment for you.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Craigslist.

I have bought 98's for $20-25. Sure you may only do one here, or two there....but you can get decent markers for next to nothing.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Honestly, I don't think you can do it for that budget unless you get freebies. That's like 32 bucks per setup, with 2 spares of everything and no paint. You're going to spend half of that on just a bare-bones mask, and another 10 bucks on a 9oz for each of them. Even if you find enough beat-to-hell ProLites or even Trracers for 20 bones each, you're already in the hole with no spare parts.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone