mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Could this work?
This could work 11 21.15%
This could not work 26 50.00%
I like it but I'm going to post comments on tweaks 6 11.54%
What? 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

"Paintball just isn't much as a spectator sport IMHO."

i totally agree! quite trying to make it something it's not!
why not play on a 3x bigger field this way you can't reach all corners of of the field with your shooting......it adds a big complexity to things...... make the fields square..... as big lenght wize as big width.
then..... make it limited paint... !!!!!! they keep lowering the bps..... make it a limited paint and you can shoot as fast as you want.... not it just got more complex.

shootouts are a waste, don't you just love it when a player is looking one way and another comes from the side a blast him bc he has tunnel vision? THATS spectator quality right there, make players aware of what going on rather then just laneing.

my 2 cents.....that flagger format shouds annoying and no different then whats already out there being played.... camp and shoot camp and shoot
Old 07-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCasna View Post
(Note to Carter/Mods: If you guys don't want this here, sorry. Let me know where you move it)

In reading about the most recent requests of a merger between NPPL and PSP, I’m motivated to put this information down on paper and get it out to the paintball community.

Paintball is still in its infancy as a professional sport. It is an incredibly complex sport as it busts through genres of ‘team’ sport and ‘extreme’ sport. It is the only extreme sport that is played as a team. The problem that arises for broadcasting paintball is one that no other professional sport has had to incur. I present to you the problem with paintball, and the best possible remedy that I have come up with:

Professional sports have a focal point, that is, the guy with the ball. Paintball is a sport built around balls and there are tens of thousands on the field at every given moment. Paintball has no focal point and consequently, no true form of offense and/or defense.

This is the single problem with the foundation of paintball as an organized team sport. The broadcasters follow certain star players that make big plays, but the plays could come at any moment and there are not enough cameras to cover everything. What paintball needs is a focal point, a dedicated offense, and dedicated defense. I propose the “flagger”.

In this format, each team will maintain five gunmen as is traditional. There will be a clock as with any other major sport with play stoppage, penalties, and point scoring. The difference is, the “flagger” will be the ball. At the beginning of the game, the teams will flip a coin to see whose “flagger” will be on the field first, the winning team will chose whether or not to have their “flagger” on the field first. The loosing team will chose which end they’d like to defend for quarters one and three. At the end of each quarter, teams will switch ends, like in hockey.

The “flagger” is a sixth player on the field for the offensive team. This player is not issued a marker for play and the player’s only job is to pull the flag from the opposing teams goal. This player is marked with a “flagger” specific indicator (jersey, mask, or a vest to wear over his playing apparel).

While the current primary objective is to gain possession of the other teams flag, the new format will only require that the “flagger” pull the flag from it’s stand to score a point. This “flagger” is the only player on the field able to score a point. When he is eliminated (such as the current method of the player being marked with paint) play will stop and a reset will occur. This time however, the opposite team will have their “flagger” on the field.

Play will stop as soon as the “flagger” is hit. This way, a team who has several early eliminations may still be able to stop the offensive strike of their opponent by focusing on eliminating the “flagger” to stop play.

Penalties are allotted as the traditional structure of “1 for 1,” “2 for 1” etc. No team will have to begin a breakout short players.

What does this solve?

Primarily it resolves the antiquated methods of scoring. Additionally, it will reduce the “quiet time” that happens when teams have eliminated several players on both teams and everyone is waiting for moves. It also cures the issue of “focal point,” “offense,” and “defense.”

Notes on play:

I make no indications anywhere on this proposal for field layouts. I do this on purpose because I believe that there needs to be a collaborative effort by paintball experts and broadcast experts to maximize exposure, playability, and broadcasting, but I do have one comment on play.

Paintball is a game of movement first and foremost. The big plays don’t come from hammering excessive amounts of paint against bunkers. The biggest and most exciting plays come from players who make big moves. With that in mind, why do rates of fire have to be so incredibly high? I see no reason to cap the amount of paint a player can bring on the field as there is no telling how long a play will last, but I do think, that to promote big moves and more exciting opportunities, rates of fire should be capped at 9 balls per second. 9 balls per second is more than fast enough to pick off the quickest runners, but slow enough to enable players to make the moves that spectators want to see.

Additional thoughts:

First, paintball needs to have better broadcast production. A ‘super producer’ needs to be brought in and a vast influx of cameras and perspectives need to be added. Helmet cams, bunker cams, and the traditional panes need to be properly cut and blended in real time by a team of broadcasters that can work at a tremendous pace.

Second, paintball needs to present this format of play to major sponsors outside the industry (obviously). But the current problems of broadcast focal point and overall complexity have prevented that from occurring to date. With the new format and an investment in better quality broadcasting, the sponsors will come and the days of webcasting events will be over. Major networks will be interested in picking up this sport that combines incredible excitement and a unique flavor of game.

That's it from me--Kazzy out.

Good luck with that. Don't tell me you think were going to the olympics too.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I know how to make it a big spectator sport. Instead of a single flagger with out a gun we make all 5 on both teams "Flaggers" then put hoops ten feet high on each end of the field remove the bunkers and add an orange ball scrap the flag. ;P
corykusmc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Stock Class Playa

Nice idea with the flagger concept, yet the only problem is getting the players to move.

Here's my spin on it if this were do able.

If we had real explosive collars and territory control linked into them. That'd get people to move! xD

Each game is +/- 30 minutes, depends on the field size.

Simply put, the collar won't start counting down to blow up if your in uncaptured territory or in your own captured territory.

Collars have 20 seconds. The timer is reset if you're out of the captured area for 3 seconds.

A territory can have boundaries marked on the field or on a map.

A captured territory involves removing the enemy flag if their is one and placing your flag in the selected area marked.

The game ends when all territories have been captured, either team is eliminated, and/or the game timer ends in which both teams are eliminated.

Standard elimination applies. Their could be a certain number of "medic" respawns. The field staff could play as them. After the medic wipes the hits, the player has a penalty of 5 seconds, before he can perform any kind of action. We could also probably limit the number of player respawns as well.
Mirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
I've porked many

It seems overly complicated. Paintball is more a activity than a sport.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillage View Post
It seems overly complicated. Paintball is more a activity than a sport.
What? Ok if cheerleading is considered a sport than paintball is sure as hell a sport. Ill be damned if cheerleading is more relavant

And I think we could go to the olympics I mean have u ever even watched the winter olympics. Half the sports on their are just moronic. Curling. Figure skating. And god knows what else
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
I win, 8==bd==8

Send a message via AIM to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via MSN to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Bunker-Monkey

CCM Fan
Couple of notes:

Everyone under the age of 35 knows what capture the flag is, and a bunch of people older than that do too.

People who sit down and watch their first football (baseball/hockey) game have no F-ing idea of what's going on either.

Why does everyone feel the need to "fix" paintball. Everyone has their own flavor and you can play the flavor you like. What is wrong with this?

I invoke my rights granted to me by my creator and defined within the constitution of they united states. I have religious freedom to play whatever style of paintball I want.

Bunker

I would like to thank beer for paintball ::: AKA proudly sponsored by SHIPYARD ALE

---------------------------
Nothing is stylish in the deadbox. - NSGSplatmaster
No matter how hot she is, somewhere there is a man that is sick of her ****. - ChaplainBane

The Bunker Monkey Wish List... help me fill it!

Bunker-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #38 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
What? Ok if cheerleading is considered a sport than paintball is sure as hell a sport. Ill be damned if cheerleading is more relavant

And I think we could go to the olympics I mean have u ever even watched the winter olympics. Half the sports on their are just moronic. Curling. Figure skating. And god knows what else
Ok I will make it simple for you and put it into perspective of what gets watched more and why.
Cheerleaders:

Paintballers:

Any questions?

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
You know the music...

I sure do like that blue number. What about paintball, now?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi_17 View Post
I sure do like that blue number.
What blue?
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone