mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
^Nah, not particularly. I love Tom Kaye as much as the next guy, but from this era of paintball, whos going to be remembered as a "Great"

And everyones coming up with hate about this, but no one can provide proof of whats so terrible about Bob Long.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
^Nah, not particularly. I love Tom Kaye as much as the next guy, but from this era of paintball, whos going to be remembered as a "Great"

And everyones coming up with hate about this, but no one can provide proof of whats so terrible about Bob Long.
Why don't you tell us what is so great about him?

Considering that for most of bobs career he copied other peoples stuff and just changed the anno or milling.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
Im not saying he SHOULD be one of this eras greats. I was just trying to see what other peoples opinions are. It seems like theyre pretty negative though. I like his guns, but Im not hugging his nuts either.

As for him copying things, cant the same be said about Eclipse?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Seymour....your man card has just been revoked.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Im not saying he SHOULD be one of this eras greats. I was just trying to see what other peoples opinions are. It seems like theyre pretty negative though. I like his guns, but Im not hugging his nuts either.

As for him copying things, cant the same be said about Eclipse?
We aren't talking about eclipse.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
Ok well, so far this thread has produced that Bob isnt that great of a person. Im leaving it at that.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

No. and there is a vast difference. I made this statement in 2004, and I stand by it to this day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, on AO [url=http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127596&highlight=preorder
]Automags.Org Online Forums - AGDs new marker preorders please?[/url]
Ok.. I have whined about the demise of the e-mag, now let me say this.

TK if the cost of the new is under $1600 I want on the preorder list, I have faith it will be the world class flagship marker you have developed in the past

Edited, after some replies:
Let me say first, thank you for not flaming this, and no, I'm not kidding. I know nothing about the new marker aside from what is available on these forums, no inside information, no idea on what it looks like.

A) I don't care on looks.
B) I really dont care on weight within reason.
C) I do care on function - am I blindly following, yes. But understand this, I cannot be the best at everything, I would like to think, running on auto repair shop, I am the best, need it done, I will do it better than anyone else, or at least competetively. I do not have the knowledge, the patience, or the facilities to make a world class paintball marker. TK does. I trust TK to make a world class paintball marker, if he says it is good, I want one.
D) The number above, is the number I am willing to pay for this, I chose it not because I cannot afford more, but it is the max I can justify. It is the amount that is easily set aside by next year, when we are expectign release
E) If there are problems in the early ones, I trust TK to fix them and take care of the customers, I have seen this in the ULE body error and the Superbolt. I am comfortable trusting TK and AGD.
F) Want a deposit to confirm my seriousness - contact me
Ummm... I just don't see any other person in paintball today who has earned the level of trust that TK had - and for the record I may have started that thread, I was not the only person to ask.

Edit: I would write a similiar letter to Mike at CCI in regards to pump guns (the price might be different). But that is a trust issue not a "everything he brought to the sport" issue. I have not dealt with CCM ever so I cannot comment.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 07-11-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
YS-OFG

Bob Long did develop the hammerless EP poppet gun with the Intimidator (as far as I know). Sure, the Defiant was a B2k, but removing the hammer weight was a big step.

Making it inline was an interesting step as well... even if very similar to a lot of Tippmann guns.

I'd say the Intimidator may have been the biggest step forward since, oh, 94 or 97 or whenever the Bushmaster and Angel and Shocker were all developed. With the possible counterpoint being the Matrix, and then the DP spool guns that simplified that system so much.

Is he Tom Kaye? No. Is there any need for a new Tom Kaye? No. Is there really anything left to develop? I hope so... but probably not.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

In regards to TK vs the rest of the paintball industry and what hey did ONLY Tippman and his decision to not patent the pin valve even approaches what TK did for the paintball world, especially the modern paintball world. Three letters

HPA (actually at first it was MPA, but still)

No, TK was a man among boys in the paintball world, and we are all worse off because the little children ran the men (plural) off with their conduct in the PB world.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
I think even mike from cci is way above bob long in terms of the next tom kaye.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone