mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rapid prototyping

Around the water cooler today myself and a friend were kicking around the idea of a rapid prototyping business and how viable it would be. I figured I'd pop on here and see what comes up since there's always so many ideas but there's remarkably few "finished" threads.

Basically set up some sort of low-cost, most likely garage based, operation built around us playing with the machines and occasionally making money on non-production run ideas. The pricing based around trying to pay back on the machines, not trying to get a ton of cash/quit our jobs sort of thing.

What would you guys do? Assuming there was a format/context/limitations of what could be done and they were stated from the get go.

What would you want built?
What would you be willing to pay for it?
How likely would you be to go "hey, that's neat" and then click to the next thread.

Just getting some ideas kicking around for the next watercooler session
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I think there are already some options. Alpha434 does the service and there might be others that publicly offer it.

I'm sure you could find a niche, so don't just pass it off.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

quite a high cost to get set up, both in time and dollars. good luck with it!
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
quite a high cost to get set up, both in time and dollars. good luck with it!
The technology is almost like printers as well, it changes often. What was a weak technology can be transformed by a new material.

There are companies that offered the service, I haven't checked on them lately. One of the originals started in Austin, I got to see some of the prototype runs. Now there's all sorts of rapid prototyping services that come up.

You should be able to email a file to an RP center and have them mail you the "print". If someone isn't doing that already, it should be on your list.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
shapeways does it. I think that is what you are talking about

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to MassDestruction00 Send a message via Yahoo to MassDestruction00

my wife and I had considered the very same thing. the main thing is the process and material very greatly for different applications. some material can be held to tight tolerances but is brittle, others are really durable but the resolution of the print is terrible.
so the main problem is what machine do you start with? what would your clients be looking for off the bat?
MassDestruction00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I read a page about this kinda thing the other day. Jay Leno uses it to replace old parts from many of his old cars that can't really be reproduced. While some machine shops can re fabricate something, it won't always be perfect. With these printers and scanners, he pops a part in, makes a copy, and gets a mold made of the part to make out of metal. Pretty cool stuff.

My school had a 3D printer, but I never got to fiddle with it because I don't know any 3D programs. I really need to take some time and learn how to use ZBrush, maybe I'll go back and make myself a lil action figure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

My brother and I were thinking about using shapeways (I think) to design a motorized 50 round hopper shell. Still kicking around the idea, need to find a drive mechanism that is compact enough to make sense.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

We're both CNC machinists trying to justify buying 5axis equipment for the garage, if that puts anything in perspective.
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
You flat out cannot do enough business in the paintball industry to pay for that level of machinery. I speak from experience.

The big time-wasters are sales and engineering solutions.

Of course, if you're familiar with enough alternate markets, you can alleviate some of those burdens by taking the low-hanging fruit in each market.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone