mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Pumpers, Be the change you want...

No more sitting on the porch bitching about the weather guys.

Get ready for a novel.

Boring intro -
The downside to living in VT is that it's no less than 2hrs to get to any game any of you go to. I'm closer to some of the Canadians than I am to some of the Americans. The up side is that I am far enough away to be oblivious to politics and drama. What I see is two families in the same community.

I've been to events all over the north east (Sorry Maine and Canada, I'm working on it) not because of some need to win or compete, but because I enjoy paintball and enjoy the people that I play paintball with.

On my travels, and with games I've tried to run myself I've noticed players on all sides saying that attendance is down, complaining that people aren't coming to there games, or looking to bring new people to growing games.

FACT - Players that can and will travel to a game/event are in limited supply.

Proposition - Bitching about people not coming to "my" event gets someone less than nowhere. It's counter productive. Shut up. Do something about it.

Do what?

Form a group, a team, a coalition, a circle jerk, what ever you want to call it. If we can find 10-20 guys that can make a conscious effort to go help out each others games everyone will have less to bitch about.

Examples -
1. I heard about the Gravity League for the first time. Played on a speedball field once before in my life. Already convinced 100% it wasn't my thing. I put together a team to support a fellow players event. I had a good time and I helped make the event a success by adding to the numbers.

2. Tug Opened a Paintball field. At this point met him once at Castle (decided he was a good **** by the way) So he opens a field just over 4hrs away from me. I got together 4 guys for a day trip down to his field. We were on the road before dawn, and didn't get home til late, it was a damned long day but we had a great time and got some play in. Made some new friends. You know what, Now I go once a year AND they sent some guys up Vermont to support the Norwich game I threw.

You want people to help your game grow, help others grow theirs.

Next year I don't know that I'll get it all in but I want to try to get to ME for a game and I want to get up to Featuring Deaths home field in Canada, Not because that's a convenient place to play. Not because that's the field the Canadians say is the best one in the area, but because it is the field and game that friends support, they bust their butts there and I want to support them. Open class pump speedball isn't my thing, I have friends that like it so I'll try to make it to 1 NEPL event a year, to help my friends build their game.

One hand washes the other. One hand doesn't do it's part and everything is a mess.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 09-08-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Let's guess what four letter word Nish used to describe Tug. Tug's a good ****!
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
LOL Didn't think that one through did I?

Before this gets to derailed it sounds like Shiite.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Seriously, this is a great post GMP.
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
Thank you. I just felt it had to be said.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Good post from a player's perspective.

Even as a "greedy" field owner. I am constantly telling players that they should check out other fields, both here in town and in other cities and towns. I don't think it's healthy to play all your paintball at one venue. Players get burnt out when they do that. In turn maybe some of those players will venture to our field. Diversity is good and helps build the community and the sport.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
I think one of the big problems is people get comfortable where they are and who they are with and are uncomfortable leaving that comfort zone and going to play with a bunch of people they don't know. I know I felt out of place as all hell when I went to my first Castle. I'd never met anyone here before, only been on the Forum a couple months and not very active. I brought two other guys down and it was still a little weird not knowing anyone. People are going to go where their friends go (see it at the bar all the time), you want more people to come to your play, go make friends some place else and you can all split your time between the two places.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
I think one of the big problems is people get comfortable where they are and who they are with and are uncomfortable leaving that comfort zone and going to play with a bunch of people they don't know. I know I felt out of place as all hell when I went to my first Castle. I'd never met anyone here before, only been on the Forum a couple months and not very active. I brought two other guys down and it was still a little weird not knowing anyone. People are going to go where their friends go (see it at the bar all the time), you want more people to come to your play, go make friends some place else and you can all split your time between the two places.
I totally agree. I finally made it to pumpers this year, I didn't really know anyone there personally but I sure had a lot of fun! I don't think I managed to play with any of my team mates for more than 10 min at a time all day, I just kept moving around with a lot of other people.

People do get comfortable in their places, I am guilty of that too. I would like to play a few other fields here in town but for some reason never end up finding the time or energy to do so. I will have to work on that for next season.

Great write up, and some very good points. Thanks!
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Radical!

I luuurv playing at fields where i know no one. I'm no social butterfly, so i'm content to just sit alone in between games. Sometimes i prefer it, because Crom knows i'm TERRIBLE at breaking the ice and maintaining a conversation. That's what happens when cable tv raises you.

In your situation, it is especially important for different pb communities to support one another, being that there isn't a plethora of fields to choose from within a more reasonable distance, you've gotta keep them all alive so that one day, there WILL be a plethora of fields within a reasonable distance.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
The main problem is there are to many fields that throw a sub par "Scenario" game once a month. It's damn hard to weed out what games are crap and what ones are good.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone