mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
pump snob

I'm thinking we need to run this one through Slytherin Studios to settle this once and for all.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
smoke ring for my halo

i like em both
Old 09-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Both have their quirks and honestly I don't think one is that much more difficult to tech than the other. I think cockers get a bad rep because they have more externally visible / adjustable doo-dads that people like to mess with. Overall I think It's more about knowledge and experience. Without either it's pretty difficult to tech any paintball gun.

One thing I will add is that even though I primarily own cockers, I've always thought more highly of AGD as a company. As far as the guns go, yeah make your own decision but there's no reason you can't love them both.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Yeah, that was me.

CCM Fan
Ill take a cockermag ftw!
for SALE
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...arrel-ect.html
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
loocoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Everybody knows that 'Cockers shoot further because they're 'closed bolt' design. Mags need a 'Magic Box' modification to shoot as far as 'Cockers.
Both guns will shoot further if you have Dye Broomsticks on them. Titman has a bend barrle called the 'Faultline' which makes Titmans shoot pretty far too. Dye says that they're going to make a 'Faultline Broomstick' soon, so wait for that, then you'll never be outshoot, unless the other guy has a full-auto ramping Boo-Ya frame on there Spider and a Dye Broomstick, then your screwed, you mite as well play Airsoft.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
Everybody knows that 'Cockers shoot further because they're 'closed bolt' design. Mags need a 'Magic Box' modification to shoot as far as 'Cockers.
Both guns will shoot further if you have Dye Broomsticks on them. Titman has a bend barrle called the 'Faultline' which makes Titmans shoot pretty far too. Dye says that they're going to make a 'Faultline Broomstick' soon, so wait for that, then you'll never be outshoot, unless the other guy has a full-auto ramping Boo-Ya frame on there Spider and a Dye Broomstick, then your screwed, you mite as well play Airsoft.

I honestly hope you are kidding here
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

From a tuning standpoint:
Autocockers: You have to learn ALL of it in the beginning, Backblock gap, cocking rod length, hammer lug adjustment, 3 way adjustment, LPR, spring balancing and if any of those are off, your gun fails to work. It's quite a handful and rightfully overwhelming for most. After learning that though...you're pretty much set for everything afterwards.

Automags:
-Classic valve guns are an easy way to get into it. The most you have to learn is: OIL, trigger rod gap and power tube spacers. Most of them work out of the box or whatever closet they came out of.
-Once you get into the rt/xvalve/emag territory, then it gets more complex with level 10 tuning. This is where they begin to get a little more finicky with the tuning and become a little more rebellious.

Overall: They both have their learning curves with cockers having the huge hump in the beginning vs automags having it later down the line.
Ir0nExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
Here are my thoughts-

Automags have always been, from a functional standpoint, ahead of the 'cockers of comparable time points.

Have to agree.

Since day 1, automags have been way easier to use and less quirky. Of course, if you know how to tune 'cockers then they CAN work as well.

Have to disagree. To each his own.

The mech's are pretty closely comparable. Both work very well. 'Cockers are more fun to some, but Automags are easier to use.

Same as above, both quirky and I enjoy both but I love shooting the 'cocker.

For pumps, 'cockers are the most common, but automags make just as good of a pump gun. Pump mags are crazy smooth. That said, snipers are more common. Both make great pump guns.

Don't forget the 1/8" stroke on the mag, though the above is a given due to the uncommon nature of mag pump kits in general.

For electro, the Mag wins hands down. It's faster, doesn't ever chop, lighter, so forth.

Can it be faster? Yes, but never chopping is a bit of a ridiculous claim. Lighter? Not really. Can they be? Sure with milling, the right valve, etc. On the same token a 'cocker can be halfblocked, minied, etc.

Depends what you are into. As Cockerpunk says, an autococker is a poor performing gun in all regards. From what I've seen, I'd have to agree.

You've got to play with any of my 'cockers sometime, you'll change that view. Oh, and please... please don't quote Gordon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Its simple, one is a semi auto that needs work to become a pump
the other is a pump that needs work to become semi auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
I have never heard it put better than this
QFT. They're both excellent toys with devoted fan bases. I love them both equally for different reasons. For me the 'cocker is more fun to shoot, the mag I could probably use to chop down a sapling and still use afterwards.

I have love for both platforms but I'll never get rid of my 'cocker.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
snip*
If I may ask, what's wrong with quoting Gordon? He's a fun guy to play ball with

Anyway, it really comes down to what you prefer. I suppose that I wasn't really giving the 'cocker a fair chance. Take a ULE mag and a Standard mech cocker and the mag is most often lighter seeing that it's just one tube of aluminum. An old one classic mag is just as heavy, no doubt. As for not chopping, lvl 10 is pretty dang good at it, assuming you have it. Then again, I've seen well tuned 'cockers bounce off paint pretty well too.

I love playing with both. I loved my autococker, one of my favorite guns.

Of course, only basing this off of my personal experience with the guns. I've used a handful of automags while I've used a wheelbarrow full of autococking guns. Like I said, I really do enjoy both quite a lot.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stock Class Playa

This again?

Throw your best Autococker and Automag into a dryer for an hour and see whose left intact. I'm sure we can declare the winner.
Mirad is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone