mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Yeah, that was me.

CCM Fan
excess paint storages

im trying to figure out if its better to keep my extra paint in my caddy or in its original bag in a box, which should keep the deformaties down?
for SALE
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...arrel-ect.html
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
loocoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

I leave mine in original bag and box if I can. There is more weight on them if you have more than 500 rounds in a caddy (since there are only 500 rounds in a bag). Also the bags act as a vapor barrier against outside moisture.

MCB Feedback
JesterTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

And the boxes are easier to rotate, especially if the bags haven't been opened. If they have been opened, put the paint into 1 gallon ziploc baggies, and then back into the box.

Which reminds me - I've got a box that I got almost a year ago and haven't rotated it once since then. *oops* At least I've kept it inside the house instead of outside in the garage, it would really be nasty by now if I'd done that.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
My crew uses the plastic coffe cans.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Yep, coffee cans for me too. Fits a bag just about perfectly.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
Welcome to the world of pump. I buy as little paint possible. Then if all else fails I actually break out my space gun and try to really hose the field. Otherwise long term I keep it in the bag in an air conditioned space (closet) and away from direct sunlight. If you have any desicant handy toss a pack near the bags, not in if the balls dry out they can become brittle.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Radical!

I've heard of some people filling large ziploc freezer bags and laying the bags flat on shelves or wherever. Not practical for everyone, but the best way to store paint long term that i've heard of.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

If it’s already in the pod, just close it and lay it on its side. Make sure it’s not packed tight, but loosely packed. Rotate once a week. Not optimal, but good enough for short layovers.

If it’s in a bag, lay it on its side on a soft surface like plush carpet or polyurethane packing foam. I tend to skulk around the trash cans at work and pick up foam. Place it in a cool, dry place out of the light. Be creative -- think under the lowest shelf of a … shelf, or under a sofa, or under a bed.

I’ve successfully stored paint for years this way.

Another little secret which I have yet to see anyone else pick up on: I always buy the cheapest paint wherever I go.

“Quality” paint may have a thinner shell for supposedly better breakage, but the downside is that thin shelled paint does not hold up well under common conditions, including storage. It deforms much, much more easily than “crappy thick(er) shelled paint”. Sometimes it’s already deformed even though it’s fresh and just out of the box. So, yes, sometimes the "crappy" paint is actually more accurate than the "expensive" paint, straight out of the box.

I think most people who buy “expensive” paint take it on faith that it’s in better condition than the cheap paint as opposed to inspecting what they are actually getting.

The caveat is that some paint will degrade on its own no matter what you do. I believe Diablo Heat falls under this category. Some of the stuff you find at the sporting goods store also falls under this category.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pumps in the Woods

Brass N Wood Fan
i use the plastic cases cd's come in. you break the center out of the 100 cd case ones and they'll hold 500-750 rounds

"May we never forget the ones that came before, the ones with us now, and the ones that will come after."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty." Clint Smith

volunteer paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've got a bunch of late-90s K-Mart Brass Eagle 200 round jars that I store paint in. I usually keep a Valken/APX Dessicate packet in each jar to keep things nice and dry.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone