mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Based on the criteria listed in this thread, which pants are best?
JT (07) Team 22 21.78%
APX Thrasher (of DBD fame) 20 19.80%
High-End Empire (LTD) 17 16.83%
High-End Valken (Redemption) 12 11.88%
Other (please note below, if you will) 30 29.70%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Best paintball pants ever?

Gang,

Having fiddled around with some different pants my conclusion is that most peanut butter britches are essentially made for looks, and for labels, and not for actual performance.

Here's what I'm looking for in a pant:

1. Cool. Can't abide nasty sweaty heat. 60 degrees is the upper register for comfort. I'm not big, not out of shape, but just hate high temps. So I need airflow. Lots and lots of airflow.

2. Knee padding. Most of the pants I've seen have some sort of wimpy cream-puff foam in them. Nice and light, and made with fairy dust, and exceptionally comfy when kneeling on pillows, but not much good for cushioning the ol' patella in the real world of dirt, grass, rocks, sticks, and turf.

3. Quiet. Walking around to the sound of SCHICK SCHICK SCHICK is for the ski slopes or the gym. Or for advertizing your position.

4. Zippered pockets. Deep, sturdy, zippered pockets. That is all.

5. Range of movement. Doing the splits shouldnt split your pants.

6. Comfort. As in, comfort.

7. Abrasion resistance. Dont dive and slide on my knees unless its on a Slip n Slide, but do a fair bit of shifting, crawling, maneuvering, etc. on them, and this too is hard on materials.

8. Quality. Life is too short to produce, or to accept, anything substandard.

9. Durability. A good pair of pants should last as long as you do.

So, what do I want?

Some of the top contenders Ive seen are the older JT (esp. 07) team pants, the DBD/APX Thrasher, the high-end Empire and Valkens, and a couple others. The JTs (at least the 07s) are widely acclaimed, but have no zippered pockets, and perhaps have been superseded by newer designs. The DBD/APX seem of particular interest, as they are (were?) made in the USA, and seem to put all the money into product, and not labels. That, and people seem half willing to trample a gang of old grannies to get a pair, and this after having owned a pair already. I just learned that the line has ended, and do not expect to get a pair, so for the record do please vote based on the current APX Thrasher line. If the quality is on par with the DBD stuff, then fine. If not, I'd like to know.

So, those of you with experience in more than one pant, Id love to get your feedback.

Thanks as ever.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
PMs off

<scribbling notes down> Thanks!

http://wtfidea.com - http://facebook.com/WhiskeyTwoFour - http://gearmaker.org
Feedback
darthmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
RTR ESSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmoo View Post
<scribbling notes down> Thanks!

Feedback +27|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
My vote would have to go to JT's or Empire's. Have been using JT's speedball and woods all summer still feel great. Actually looking to get a pair of empires just to see what else there is.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
X0317

Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
My vote is for the DBD/APX pants. LOVE mine, I won't get rid of them until I can no longer wear them. They seem to hit high on every one of your points.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

DM6,

Were you wearing those last weekend? If so, they looked good, but pity I didn't have the presence of mind to ask about them.

CJ, I'm actually looking for something in black, so the stretch panels in black are no trouble at all. And glad to see there are stretch panels, as the website doesn't make that completely clear, and to what extent and in what location there are stretch panels. Crotch and knees at least, I presume?

Good, deep, zippered pockets?

And are they still making a good, U.S.-produced product? Not that there aren't good things made, say, north of this place.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post all the things!

CCM Fan
I wear a pair of Invert pants, really can not come up with any real complaints about them other than the ankle ties but I haven't see a pair of pants that actually handle those well imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbthebenji View Post
I'll be munching on this box for months!
tencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
RTR ESSG

I would stay away from Eclipse pants (just an fyi). They are okay, but I am not really impressed by anything about them. I liked my old Empires more, but I still have yet to find a set of paintball pants that really gives me a reason to but them, especially for the price the companies ask.
I considered DBD, but am wearing my Eclipses until they wear out.

Feedback +27|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Duh-jent

I have to disagree with that. In my opinion Eclipse pants are the best ones on the market right now. The knee pads are rediculously thick, and literally everyone that I know who has worn them agree they have the best airflow and that they're the most comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Tencent,

I actually just picked up a pair of Invert Limited ZEs, and played in them last weekend. They aren't bad at all, with one glaring exception: SCHICK, SCHICK, SCHICK.

I wanted to get a good middle-of-the-road baseline for comparison and didn't want to drop serious coin on a turkey, so went with them as by all accounts they had good reviews and seemed to have a lot of the features I wanted at a decent price. They were on sale as well, so that helped.

They seem very well made in terms of stitching and durability, and they are quite comfy, but the noise is off-putting, and the knee padding is rather thin, and seems to ride a little low. Moreover, the mesh is rather heavy, so while the venting is noticeable, it could be much better.

I like the bungee ankle cuffs.

So in general I like most of the features, but am not satisfied by the level at which some of them perform.

Indeed, those of you who own the high-end Inverts, and have used the others listed here, I'd especially love your feedback, since we have a common point of reference.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone