mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Azodin Inline Regulator (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/181144-azodin-inline-regulator.html)

GoatBoy 11-04-2011 06:43 AM

Azodin Inline Regulator

Azodin Paintball

Anyone have any experience with one of these regs?

They're supposedly CO2 tolerant, which is what I'm primarily interested in.

Already have two Palmers; getting kind of sick of them and wanting to switch.

Kermit 11-04-2011 09:01 AM

Just stick with the Palmers. My friend has one on his Kaos D and it gets VERY cold with Co2 in a matter of shots. I loaned out my HPA tank to him the first weekend he got the gun because his Co2 bottle wouldn't work well. If you are using air, it's a great reg, it just doesn't like Co2.

Halo 11-04-2011 12:16 PM

I bought one to put on a Kaos. It has a good adjustment range, consistent and feels good in hand. It is also easy to take apart, just be aware it uses metric Allen keys. Its a decent reg if you use it with HPA. Should be OK on CO2 in the right conditions. Only used it with CO2 once and won't be making that mistake again. I wasn't using an anti-siphon tank & liquid CO2 got into the reg and blew two o-rings. Lesson learned.

russc 11-04-2011 04:12 PM

There's a big difference between "co2 tolerant" and a reg with an overpressure relief like the PPS Stabilizer. Any reg can work with co2, but if they can't vent overpressure, you'll blow seals.

It's like "fog resistant" lenses versus thermal lenses.

Goatboy, just curious - what about the PPS regs are you sick of?

idkfa 11-04-2011 04:28 PM

How about those regs that came on the Vibe/SP-1? Weren't they supposed to be good on CO2? Or maybe it was just "CO2 tolerant"...

GoatBoy 11-04-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigballa (Post 2071162)
Just stick with the Palmers. My friend has one on his Kaos D and it gets VERY cold with Co2 in a matter of shots. I loaned out my HPA tank to him the first weekend he got the gun because his Co2 bottle wouldn't work well. If you are using air, it's a great reg, it just doesn't like Co2.

If a regulator gets cold when it's running CO2, then that means it's doing it's job...

The bit about it blowing o-rings is a bit disturbing though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 2071623)
There's a big difference between "co2 tolerant" and a reg with an overpressure relief like the PPS Stabilizer. Any reg can work with co2, but if they can't vent overpressure, you'll blow seals.

It's like "fog resistant" lenses versus thermal lenses.

Goatboy, just curious - what about the PPS regs are you sick of?

Slow recharge on both of them.

I'm not particularly motivated to open them up myself; I think I have older models which are not as friendly to get open as the newer ones. The red Loctite on the inline one was kind of a hint.

I could send them in to Palmers to get serviced, but the last time I did that, it cost me $34, not including the price of shipping it to them. Nearly the cost of a new regulator from someone else. Not sure they fixed it, either. This and other service related stuff is my strongest motivation to find alternatives.

On the male stab, I can't rotate the fitting location. I guess I could use the Ninja tank shims to rotate the reg, but that doesn't fix the fact that the fitting port is also uncomfortably high.

Also kind of heavy for what they do. I'm betting the Azodin would easily be lighter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa (Post 2071650)
How about those regs that came on the Vibe/SP-1? Weren't they supposed to be good on CO2? Or maybe it was just "CO2 tolerant"...

Funny you should mention that. I have a Vibe just for messing around with, and that reg worked fine for CO2. Main problem is it didn't have the right output pressure (only about 200PSI). I need something that outputs in the 400+PSI range (automag).

Incidentally, I can't recall the pressure relief mechanism ever venting on any regulator (5 different ones) that I've ever used with CO2.

russc 11-04-2011 07:07 PM

It would be nice if someone could make a small adjustable pressure relief module that would screw in between the ASA and the regulator. Kind of like how old Impulses had the relief valve on their VA, but adjustable to whatever pressure you want like on Tiberius guns. That would allow you to use any reg with co2 as long as its seals could handle the cold, and protect against over-pressurizing.

GoatBoy 11-04-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 2071832)
It would be nice if someone could make a small adjustable pressure relief module that would screw in between the ASA and the regulator. Kind of like how old Impulses had the relief valve on their VA, but adjustable to whatever pressure you want like on Tiberius guns. That would allow you to use any reg with co2 as long as its seals could handle the cold, and protect against over-pressurizing.

I thought the non-adjustable version of that was called "macroline".

Halo 11-05-2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatBoy (Post 2071686)

Funny you should mention that. I have a Vibe just for messing around with, and that reg worked fine for CO2. Main problem is it didn't have the right output pressure (only about 200PSI). I need something that outputs in the 400+PSI range (automag).

On that note I should also mention, Azodin advertises the output of their reg to be 0-700 PSI. This might vary with atmospheric conditions & where you are (IDK), but mine's output is closer to 140-580 PSI. Around 140 PSI is the lowest consistent out put I can get without it acting funny, while anything over 580 PSI it just vents, as the adjustment screw is too far out.

GoatBoy 11-05-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halo (Post 2072455)
On that note I should also mention, Azodin advertises the output of their reg to be 0-700 PSI. This might vary with atmospheric conditions & where you are (IDK), but mine's output is closer to 140-580 PSI. Around 140 PSI is the lowest consistent out put I can get without it acting funny, while anything over 580 PSI it just vents, as the adjustment screw is too far out.

Good info, thanks. As long as it behaves reliably at around 400PSI, I would be good to go.

I put one of these on order just to try it out. If it doesn't work, I'll just gut it and use it as a foregrip.

Found this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5IGlp20k9c