mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_772 View Post
You noticed what I do at Hurlbert I see
It works well enough for me it seems.
Yeah, at least with surrenders you don't have to get a paint check
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
Stock Class Playa

I only use the surrender move with my usual group.

Everyone else gets blasted from a good distance. Those trigger happy electro tourney players playing in rec. ball only acknowledge marker hits anyways. I shoot way less against the renters. A few bursts here and there or use my sc and oc pumps.
Mirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I learned years ago not to surrender anyone. Ever. It's paintball, not tickleball.

However, I also don't rush up on people that I would need to surrender. It's easier to put a ball on a non-tender area (pod pack, shoe, etc) than risk the debacle that could ensue. I stay my allotted distance away (10', 15', 20', etc) and shoot at them. Sometimes they break, sometimes they don't. Thems the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
IMO refs allow a single guy to walltap surrender an entire building is crap and unrealistic but its the rule at my favorite field. They also enforce a 10ft rule as well.
I think it's a stupid rule too. What if the guys on the other side of the wall know he is coming and are planning to surrender him? Why give the surrender to the single guy?

There is no perfect surrender rule, unfortunately. At least I've never come across one.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I learned years ago not to surrender anyone. Ever. It's paintball, not tickleball.

However, I also don't rush up on people that I would need to surrender. It's easier to put a ball on a non-tender area (pod pack, shoe, etc) than risk the debacle that could ensue. I stay my allotted distance away (10', 15', 20', etc) and shoot at them. Sometimes they break, sometimes they don't. Thems the cards.
Point blank isn't really my style either, especially with a pump. I tend to out maneuver people and shoot them from the flank whenever available. Last time I tried to surrender somebody the kid froze in panic and somebody from a different bunker (who had literally done nothing the whole game) shot me. No more surrender. I will snap shoot you, or I will flank you, I will not rush you.

I have found that shooting perpendicular to the playing 'grain' afford me so many easy shots on multiple people that I get more people out that way instead of the 50/50 on the one I would otherwise be rushing to surrender.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Surrender rules led to too much overshooting and confusion at my home field, not to mention punishing players who moved up. To fix it, we dropped FPS to 275 and just enforce overshooting more closely.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
For me, the 15 foot surrender rule usually consists of

1. Get 16 feet away from the person (or whatever range i feel is acceptable to make an easy shot without hurting the person....If needed...See rule #3
2. Shoot in the pack or foot if i'm feeling nice that day
3. If it's someone talking too much trash or overshooting people, usually one or two shots to the back of the head or neck.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #38 (permalink)

Part of the issue i guess is that every field has their own variations of the rule and everyone has their own interpretation of the rule.
i dont play organised fields too much, but when i have, they generally dont spend too much time explaining the surrender rule.
A room like that full of people is a complicated situation. i think it went down the best way it could considering the circumstances - you gave people the option to surrender.. you didnt over shoot people
phaedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Surrender rules led to too much overshooting and confusion at my home field, not to mention punishing players who moved up. To fix it, we dropped FPS to 275 and just enforce overshooting more closely.
This has been my experience as well, but the fields around here maintain the rule.

However, rules are what form the game. There are lots of rules that I don't like, but if that's the game we're playing, then that's the game *I'm* playing. You learn to work the rules. Operative word there is "learn". If you don't want to learn it, fine, then never put yourself in the position to use the rule.

The surrender rule causes the most consternation with inexperienced/bad players. This is the ultimate irony of the rule, because these are they players it is intended to protect. It takes practice, diligence, situational awareness, and a bit of psychology to properly use the surrender rule. (It also helps to have nerves of steel; note how OP was rattled in the video.) It requires characteristics of the player offering the surrender that they simply don't always have.

Note that I'm clear about distinguishing the player offering the surrender from the target. It's not like the target needs to have experience or nerves of steel to get shot at point blank range. The onus is pretty much on the player offering the surrender to do it correctly.

My biggest problem in the implementation of the surrender rule is not the target. I never have problems with my targets. It's always my own teammates who wind up shooting me after I've cleared out a bunker. This is why, all the way in my first reply, the first step is to coordinate with your teammates.

By the way, I went back and reviewed the whole "pie slicing" thing. I don't know about you guys, but when I slice a pie, I don't start with the knife in the middle of the pie, cut left, then cut back right. If you really thought you had the drop on these guys in this fashion, hats off to you. You must be a REALLY fast draw. Like amazing total upper body speed.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.

Last edited by GoatBoy; 11-07-2011 at 02:42 PM.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
I've played at Airsports quite a bit and it seems like everytime I go there is an issue with the surrender rule. It has gotten to the point that I won't go there any more.

I know the field and the house that this occured in and I feel it would have been hard to get them all by slicing the pie. I probably would have stood back from the window and slowely picked them off.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone