mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Long term o-ring, seal storage...any ideas

Since so many vintage 'guns are discussed here, this seemed like a more suitable place to ask this question than the Automags.org forums. I thought about sticking this thread in the AGD forum here, but the question is really applicable for many models.

In case you don't visit AO (and I don't very often) you may be interested to read this thread...

Automags.Org Online Forums - So AGD(the company) is moving. Whats up with that?

Although it is mentioned that AGD isn't going anywhere right away, it does seem pretty obvious that things aren't looking good for the future of the Automag. Being a fairly recent convert to the Automag and an avid fan, this situation concerns me. As we all know, the 'gun is engineered to last. However, springs, orings and other "wear" items, well...wear out. I can keep springs and hard parts around, no problem. However, how can someone hoard orings and seals and keep them in good shape for long periods of time?

Keep them in airtight containers?

Pack them in some kind of grease to keep them like new?

Put them in you gear box and quit worrying about it?

I haven't been faced with orings going "bad" but I imagine that keeping them around for 25 years might result in a dried up and worthless oring. I hope to be shooting a 'Mag (hopefully the one I have now) until I am old and gray.

Anyone have any thoughts or should I just get a life?

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

Send a message via AIM to PJ

OK, you have a kid now, you'll be old and grey before you know it Justin!

A long time ago I vaguely remember someone saying they stored their o-rings in a bag with a little oil in it, and that they tried to get all the air out of it when they ziplocked it. Don't know if this is a good practice or not, as I have an o-ring kit that has most sizes (except for that darn A-5 RT itty-bitty o-ring to seal the RT valve up!)..

AIM: PJDarknight
CPPA #1145 / PPIG #496 / LPPC #103 / POG #1047 / Team Rogue Cell #7
PJ's Gallery on MCB
Feedback on MCB
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Urethane breaks down in the presence of oxygen and UV light. Long term storage should be in a purged container (nitrogen and in a dark container)
Buna breaks down in the presence of ozone, store in cool dry place away from electric motors.

Now keep in mind you need not store o-rings for the future. You just need to get the sizes of the rings, they are all standard off the shelf o-rings in an auto mag.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Urethane breaks down in the presence of oxygen and UV light. Long term storage should be in a purged container (nitrogen and in a dark container)
Buna breaks down in the presence of ozone, store in cool dry place away from electric motors.

Now keep in mind you need not store o-rings for the future. You just need to get the sizes of the rings, they are all standard off the shelf o-rings in an auto mag.
Well, that makes me feel better! I thought some of the rings/seals in the Automag were custom sizes that wouldn't be readily available. Thanks for the info B! Looks like I will be able to hand my 'Mag down to my son after all.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Is that your mag in your Avatar? So it's a classic valve? Only part that wouldn't be easily replaceable would be there Regulator Seat. It's a small urethane disc with a whole in the middle. You might want to pick up a couple of those, but as B said, All the o-rings are standard sizes.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Is that your mag in your Avatar? So it's a classic valve? Only part that wouldn't be easily replaceable would be there Regulator Seat. It's a small urethane disc with a whole in the middle. You might want to pick up a couple of those, but as B said, All the o-rings are standard sizes.

-MR
I figured the regulator seat, the bumper, and the orings made from the harder plastic/rubber material might be a pain to find.

Yes, the avatar pic is my 'Mag - straightforward Classic valve with no upgrades. Love that 'gun...

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
OK, you have a kid now, you'll be old and grey before you know it Justin!

A long time ago I vaguely remember someone saying they stored their o-rings in a bag with a little oil in it, and that they tried to get all the air out of it when they ziplocked it. Don't know if this is a good practice or not, as I have an o-ring kit that has most sizes (except for that darn A-5 RT itty-bitty o-ring to seal the RT valve up!)..
Already have a few grey hairs on top, PJ! If the kids don't do it, the wife will! Caleb just turned a year old, Rebekah will be four in a week and a birthday party for her is coming up. Screaming three, four and five year olds - should be interesting. Factor the family in with the job and I guess I am doomed to a life of grey!

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Cold helps slow down rubber deterioration. For the plastic and Oring items I'd put them in a ziplock or other air tight container with as much air as possible squeezed out and put then in the freezer in a light proof container.

In my "other" life I build and fly rubber powered model airplanes. I've got boxes of rubber strip that deteriorates quickly in sun and heat and that rubber is still good after at least 10 years in storage.

So the Urethane Orings and that plastic seal for the reg seat should be kept cold, in a sealed and purged bag and in the dark. The little teflon valve Orings probably don't need that sort of care but it would be good to keep them all in the same place.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

-MR
I'm not so sure about this. They also use teflon orings in the on/off. I don't know if these would be easily replaced with standard orings or not. Then again, I don't teflon orings going made for just about any reason but use in the gun itself.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

ZIP lock bags as well as most plastic bags are not airtight, plastic is porous.

You need something like an airtight tin, like an old military ammo can or even better yet a masons jar for storing jams or jelly.

I think a masons jar painted black on the outside to block sunlight would be ideal.

The 3 things I love the most, My son, My car , My VM-68
gunblaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone