mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Who loves building parts guns

Years ago I used to love inheriting some spare parts from my buddies, scrounging for more and building a working marker out of it. Fast forward to last week when I was cleaning out my rubber maid of misc parts and found a short Spyder barrel I bought in my early days of pball and before I knew it, I've bought a Spyder body, grip, found some old orings and I'm about to secure a drop, asa and some other odds and ends. Its not profitable in any way (would have been cheaper to buy a working one) but I get a kick out of cobbling stuff together.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
BACK TO WORK !!!

Brass N Wood Fan
what all do you need ? ive got a parts box of spyder stuff .... which body are you building ?

** i maintain 3rd shift hours so if i dont respond right away during the day - ya know why

my feedback :

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=488994
randall ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
Years ago I used to love inheriting some spare parts from my buddies, scrounging for more and building a working marker out of it. Fast forward to last week when I was cleaning out my rubber maid of misc parts and found a short Spyder barrel I bought in my early days of pball and before I knew it, I've bought a Spyder body, grip, found some old orings and I'm about to secure a drop, asa and some other odds and ends. Its not profitable in any way (would have been cheaper to buy a working one) but I get a kick out of cobbling stuff together.
I thought it was just me!

I'm the same. Started off doing this sort of thing with Spyders, then added Tippmanns to the fray and now I'm onto Cockers aswell. Honestly coulda saved a bunch of money if I'd just bought new. Who am I kidding? I woulda just spent the money upgrading them anyway!
VagabondStarJXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Just a few more parts and I'll have another BKO.

glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
There's nothing better(or worse? not sure) than that realization that "If I just add an xxx and a yyy to this pile of parts, it'll be a complete gun! To the MCB Cave!!!"

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932

Last edited by Chappy; 02-05-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
I love building up Phantoms like this! I know it's no stretch to do but I have found cheap parts and have put together at least 4 for around a 100.00$! I did a Mag this way once as well. Now I have a S-5 body and some parts and I want to make a 12 gram gun out of it. Waiting for an 86 frame and a set of lowers on that one. Feyd...............
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I have to admit a preference for Sheridan based markers. My biggest problem is I can't seem rebuild one to original stocky goodness. Have to admit I have five personnel projects ongoing and work for others coming in. There's just something about brass..
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I love parts bin guns! All it takes is putting a couple pieces together to get you started, and suddenly you're frantically digging through the box looking for that one piece you saw a month ago, realizing you need to order one or two other things, and..... FRANKENMARKER!

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

And I thought I was one of the few who did this LOL. Personally I love the Spyder platform (Compact/Java) to do this with because of the low market value = cheap parts. Great for loaners & cheap first markers for friends getting into the sport.
Unconscious Competent: Eventually, after enough practice, the given task will become second nature and it will no longer feel "uncomfortable".

Yomama101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Just for Shiggles

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I don't own a non-parts gun. I think the last off-the-shelf gun I had was a G3 several years ago. I love the whole process of putting the parts together in one configuration, then deciding I don't like them that way, then trying something else, only to end up with the first configuration. Then the whole struggle to actually make the creature work. Maybe we're a little masochistic, but the payoff is definitely worth the pain!
FEEDBACK
Steam & Origin: Redivulpis
Redivulpis is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone