mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Think of the children! (said in most dramatic tone)

While plausible in some circumstances, I would say its crap. People do stupid things all the time.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Old. Geek. Paintballer.

Palmers Fan
Maybe they had a really kick-ace day at the field and decided to "play on" off the field. Seems just as plausible. Discussing how new players are treated could be a solid article, but in this case it was torpedoed by what I think is a specious argument.

NoForts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Safety third.

If this theory were true, I'd expect there to be other, more easily tracked, negative behaviors associated with paintball. For example, is there more vandalism in the parking lots of paintball fields than there is in other retail parking lots?
Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Honestly? I think that's one of the more idiotic theories I've heard. I think you'll find that 90% of the people who commit paintball drive-bys are people who have never even BEEN to an established field, much less been there and had a bad time.

I will say that the big-box stores are a bigger part of the problem for two reasons: price, and availability. A delinquent isn't going to go out of his way to go to a paintball shop and buy a nice gun and good paint just for the sake of causing havoc. More likely, they're wandering around the local Wal-Mart with their friends when one of them has an idiotic idea and a couple of dollars to spare.

I think that as adults we try to rationalize things that don't make sense because we want to believe that there's always a REASON for everything. Unfortunately, when it comes to sociopaths and delinquent behavior, often there is NO motivating factor other than a crazy idea and a lack of impulse control.

I can't even count the amount of people I know who own a paintball marker but have not been to a legitimate field in their entire lives. Upon finding out I play, I've been asked by several people to fix their guns, only to find out through conversation that the only thing they've ever used it for is shooting squirrels, stray cats, etc out of their yard or driving around shooting up cars. These are the people who get their broken gun handed back to them. And you know what, almost every time, it's a marker that was purchased out of a big-box chain, or a flea market, or a yard sale.

I'm not one to dismiss the impact that experienced players have on how many new players decide to continue on in our sport, in fact it's an issue I hold near and dear to my heart. It's why I have chastised former teammates for their conduct against new players, it's why I myself play with a pump or pistol when in a mixed crowd of regulars and rentals. I'm not saying its impossible, but of the many ills caused by experienced players' poor etiquette, I refuse to believe that it's responsible for more than a very SLIM minority of paintball drive-bys.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobetor View Post
Incidents like these have almost nothing to do with paintball. When a group of guys drive around smashing mailboxes with baseball bats do we assume they lost a game and are taking it out on the mailboxes? No, we assume they're a bunch of morons who probably don't play baseball.
Seconded. They likely found/stole a sibling's gear and went around seeing what they could do with it. Anyone that knows anything about paintball knows that a direct eye shot can kill someone, and I doubt they knew that.

This happens largely because of the ratio between available equipment and informed consumers. Wal-mart (and such places) sells everything for paintball except chrono's and oil. There's a great deal more stores than fields where someone can educate the general public. Field/store owners do this, Wal-mart (and such places) does not, and, in my opinion, is one of the worst things to happen to the sport.
If this guy's article makes news and gains momentum, look for the whole "paintball guns = firearms" debate to rear it's ugly head again.

Edit: pistolrogue beat me to it

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
All in

Brass N Wood Fan
Considering the seriousness of the theory, I think I might troll a little bit again.

I think b-cuzz avatar is photoshopped. I can tell from the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my life.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

IT'S REAL!!! I uploded it from my blue teeth to my wife-eye's, so the quality's not so good!

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Ill throw the anti of this....

Telling regular players to tone down there game against new players is going to chase away hard core players. I for one can tell you that I have this problem... I play where I work time to time and have been asked by my boss and refs that I need to play a little less aggressive against walk ons....... How much less aggressive do they want me to be.. Im already playing hopper ball with a pump. The logical conclusion for me was to just stop playing I really can't tone my game down further unless I play with a bolt action gun that I have to load every ball down the barrel lol.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

BigOldSchool, What I have done in the past is do every thing but hit the new player, like seeing how close to thier head I can shoot with out hitting them.

RJ
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Ill throw the anti of this....

Telling regular players to tone down there game against new players is going to chase away hard core players. I for one can tell you that I have this problem... I play where I work time to time and have been asked by my boss and refs that I need to play a little less aggressive against walk ons....... How much less aggressive do they want me to be.. Im already playing hopper ball with a pump. The logical conclusion for me was to just stop playing I really can't tone my game down further unless I play with a bolt action gun that I have to load every ball down the barrel lol.
play stock class. bored does it with our private group and he still owns the field most of the time, with just a nelspot. you should also let them know you're already limiting your gear, so that they KNOW you do listen.

walkon is when i try crazy stuff, like seeing how long i can stand in the open and not get hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fMzCVVUr-k
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone