mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
No class

I see the theory, as flawed as it may be. It basically equates paintball playing losers to Tap Out cage fighters who get their a$$ handed to them (and there are plenty of them around now) who just assault the random citizen on the street, a la Fight Club style and you don't see that happening every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I'm like a paintball sex tourist. Top dollar for a good time.
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Blaming violence and vandalism on anything other than the person committing the act is just silly.

Davidson totally fails when he examines the psychology of paintball violence; it is about violence, not paintball.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Purchase of insurance is the buyers option. I will help out in the event of any shipping issues, but I will assume no financial responsibility once the package ships
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

the broad generalizations in that article are broad. nice that he can draw up such a firm theory from a bunch of crap he made up while shootin the shiz with his buddy. And all the stuff about people being inbred, dumb, hormonal teens or having brain damage or glue-sniffing addictions, and multiple generations of incest in the family tree... I mean gee, I know the guy is angry but he should stop taking material from his own life.

And really, every time some hillbilly says "I gots me a theory," a scientists drops a piece of pyrex labware. and it is sad.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkson View Post
Darwin may not always get ya, but he's got an eye out for you!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

In my own experiences, being a dumb teen I did dumb things like shoot peoples cars in the school parking lot when they messed with me and such. It had nothing to do with being owned on a field or violent video games. It was due to lack of good judgement. It also got me in a lawsuit that taught me to use my paintball equipment responsibly.

I would say that the misuse of paintball products is due to a lack of proper parenting or a lack of judgement by the user. Society has taken a head shot from fools that post stupid things on YouTube to get laughs. I just saw a short on a guy shooting himself in the nuts handling a marker. People misuse things all the time because sadly Darwinism is not working anymore. Be it a paintball marker or a ladder someone will find a way to use it wrong and then someone will blame something or other. Remember when it was video games? Rap Music?

In response to how to play with new people for fields and players with experience, I would have to say I think it is the field's responsibility to have games where new people can play with people of their own level. I understand that logistics, time, personnel and cost are huge factors in the ability to do this but for the growth of the sport or at least interest in it, it might be in their interest to do so a few times during the day.

My own team plays outlaw so any new people are first of all people that one of us knows. We play a game or two with the new people mixed in to give them a chance to experience the game first then spend some time coaching them in smaller games against people of the same level. As they play we give them tips while reffing and after game show them skills that will help them later. Then we play a hard and fast game to show them what we mean. Then mix them in again. Everyone plays stock class or open stock, even the new girls so closest thing I do to tuning myself down is purposely missing shots, big open moves and sometimes taking a dive like a soccer player. Everyone likes to go home a winner and I try my best to make sure they feel successful.The in-between games I go all out again and even then at my age I only play half arsed now days.

Players should try to be open and helpful to new players if they can. Even to other players. I wish I had played with more of the people in MCB. Some of the players at fields here were the reason I took my game to the woods.

We all play the game for the fun of it hopefully. It would be nice to find a way to share that fun with new people.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

imho, that article is total bull. Shi*t like this happens because of lack of moral values, lack of consideration of others, and the misconception that paintball guns are "toys".

When i was at a drivers ed class, some how we got onto the topic of how some local kids doing paintball drive by and getting charged for assault for it. Instructor thought that it was a little harsh since they were "just" paintballs. Obviously, the man had never been shot by a paintball or even knows how damaging they can be. He probably thought they were just toys.
Plus, anyone with good morals and consideration of others young or old would not after a bad first day of paintball, go out and shoot other people on the streets.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Davidson totally fails when he examines the psychology of paintball violence; it is about violence, not paintball.
But we all know paintball, even at commercial fields, can be violent at times.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
I wonder if this author was actually trying to make a different point by proposing such an outlandish theory. I think the whole point of his article is summed up in the last paragraph: Basically, "take it easy on new folks." Anyone with a grain of sense can tell you that delinquents/criminals are responsible for their own actions, and it would be foolish to hold a field owner responsible for the criminal actions of such miscreants. But by making such an outlandish claim, the author is getting his readers to think about two problems: Paintball vandalism and crime, and "beating up" noobs. And a quick look at some of the rational and reasoned posts in this thread suggests to me that he has done just that. So yes, his "theory" is laughably foolish, but the issues he brings up may well be worth some discussion.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Mootho, I see what you're getting at, but it's his own choice of example that clouds his point. That's why I think it's stupid. There are probably HUNDREDS of more plausible and applicable reasons why experienced players should make it a point not to beat up on newbies, to take the most far-fetched of those and revolve your argument around it is self-defeating.

BOS- there are always going to be different degrees of opinion on what constitutes playing fair or not, and when I say "don't beat up on newbies" I don't mean to play easier, simply to limit the equipment advantage. Some people are simply better at the game than others, and we shouldn't seek to limit our skill to make other people feel better. I aim my comments mostly at those players who think it's fun to ramp when they're playing against the inexperienced, or use more than one shot to bunker them.

Losing should only inspire the loser to get better. Getting obliterated repeatedly because of unfair/uneven play is only going to inspire the loser to quit. It's the difference between losing a close game in the final minutes to being down 41-0 in the first quarter with your starting defensive line all on injured reserve.
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootho View Post
I wonder if this author was actually trying to make a different point by proposing such an outlandish theory. I think the whole point of his article is summed up in the last paragraph: Basically, "take it easy on new folks." Anyone with a grain of sense can tell you that delinquents/criminals are responsible for their own actions, and it would be foolish to hold a field owner responsible for the criminal actions of such miscreants. But by making such an outlandish claim, the author is getting his readers to think about two problems: Paintball vandalism and crime, and "beating up" noobs. And a quick look at some of the rational and reasoned posts in this thread suggests to me that he has done just that. So yes, his "theory" is laughably foolish, but the issues he brings up may well be worth some discussion.
I have no doubt the author's reason for writing the article was exactly that. Much of Davidson's editorials on his own sight revolve around the same subject. It's very obvious he's an advocate for players and field owners treating newbies properly.

Although I don't think his theory holds a lot of water, I don't think his theory is all that far fetched either. Look at people who abuse their kids. Very often, they themselves were raised in an environment where they were abused by their parent(s). That's common knowledge now, but there was a time when people thought that theory was outlandish. I realize that going to a field and getting beat up once or twice is probably not going to lead to a life long spree of violent acts, but the idea of someone coming away pissed off from a situation where he felt he was "abused" and then taking it out on others, is in my opinion, not an out of the question theory.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
O.G. in O.D.

CCM Fan
Read the article. I know both the author and Aden from my days as one of their teammates. You would have to look pretty far to find better players or more thoughtful analysts of paintball in general. While it may be a stretch to link a specific event such as this drive by to newbies getting trashed at the field, knowing Aden as I do, he was just trying to understand this level of deviance. When we started playing paintball in the 80's, in New Jersey in particular, we were faced with a lot of organized opposition. We were constantly in fear that our markers would be classified as firearms. We knew that the only way to protect our game was to be hyper vigilant regarding our public image...real players in those days would never jeopardize our sport by vandalizing property or people, and we were careful to groom new players into this mindset at every opportunity. But we were not saints either...in those days we had to make do with pumps and 12 grams and teamwork and tactics, and we bashed our share of less technically profficient and less tactically gifted players on a regular basis.

Nowadays, paintball is established and the equipment is available in every community. Having raised a few teenagers myself, I can't stress enough how stupid they can be at times. Kids have been vandalizing stuff since...well the Vandals themselves, and before that as well. For these particular kids, if it wasn't a marker it might have been a baseball bat or a slingshot or a real gun. Steve may have connected the dots in error, but Steve has been thinking about how to make paintball better since the first time he took the field. Do I always agree with him? No way...but Steve is gonna keep on writing and trying to get this sport/hobby/fixation right and fair and fun and growing.

Personally, I don't know how you keep new players from getting shot up when they go up against experienced players. I don't know how you keep experienced players coming back to the field if you don't let them shoot whatever markers they own and want to play with. I go to the field and start the day off with a pump, but by lunch time I am so sick of the wiping that takes place that I break out the Ego and start lumping up the offenders, who may or may not be new players. Does that make me a bad guy? I'm not the one wiping, I paid my fee and bought my own paint, invested my day off in my hobby that I love, and try to show by example some grace and sportsmanship... for a couple of hours. After that I turn into a werewolf.

Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone