mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Are we doing more damage?

Steve Davidson's guest article on Social Paintball implies we might be doing more than hurting participation by kicking new players butts at our local paintball fields? You can read it here: Drive By Shootings | Social Paintball

Thoughts?
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I would say that it is a theory.

It could account for some of the drive by shootings but I don't think it could account for every drive by. At the same time I don't think the author would say every drive by is a result of a bad day at the field either...There are just too many variable involved when you have so many people doing this for so many different reasons.

He does have a point though, beating up on new players is only bad for the sport and regulars, field owners and staff should be held accountable for that.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I don't think getting owned at the field would contribute to something like this. Me being a teen, most of the dumb things (usually not often) comes from a spur of the moment. I don't think the guys who did this were like "hey we got owned up at a field, lets go take it out on innocent pedestrians." Its probably more like "wouldn't it be fun to be a gangster and do drive bys? " and thus they get all there paintball gear thinking nothing will come out of it and its just fun a games because it is a paintball marker that only shoots paint, not a real gun. Plus I can say from personal experience that being in a group of people also tends for more stupid things to happen because of peer pressure and crowd mentality. I think what sets people to do this stuff is ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance because they don't understand the harm paintball markers can cause with improper safety and stupidity because they don't think it through or think about the consequences. Thats what I think of the situation.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's somewhat true. But id say it's about as tried as how many serial phycos/killers society produces. Bc the behavior is one in the same.
But their are other reasOns not to destroy newbs. The biggest being sportsmanship and progressing the sport.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
All in

Brass N Wood Fan
I do myself some drive-bys when I haven't shoot enough noobs in the day.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Judging by the high % of guns I have to fix for the '1-2 times a year' players I doubt they are doing that. They typically put them back in their bags and put the bags in a closet when they get home. I'm not even going to read it to see if that's what they are saying.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

my dad and my grandpa had a solution for the teen problem that is sadly frowned upon today - the belt - applied full force when needed.

Some things are so beyond stupid that it needs practical applied corporal punishment.

abuse is bad - but being honest - there are times that properly applied force is one of the most effective learning implements that man has lost =/

/sigh

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slayer of Care Bears

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Why do people still let this guy write anything?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

If any of that were even partly true, it would not be us here at MCB that are causing it. We all tend to go out of our way to ensure that the new players have a good day.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Incidents like these have almost nothing to do with paintball. When a group of guys drive around smashing mailboxes with baseball bats do we assume they lost a game and are taking it out on the mailboxes? No, we assume they're a bunch of morons who probably don't play baseball.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone