mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot
 
VooDooAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL (Currently Western Burbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman View Post
When's the last time you've played a field where a "sniper rifle" was useful?
Last time I was out at a field (before winter set in)...

'Coarse my "sniper weapon" is a pistol, only thing it's got in common with traditional sniper rifles is the mock suppressor and a sight... oh yeah and the ammo, First Strikes.

Is this monster sniper rifle technically any more accurate then my 9.1 pistol with first strikes? Probably not. But I have certainly seen the benefit of playing prone in the tall grass with a bi-pod for the extra long first strike shots. The shocked body language of someone you've tagged well outside their own effective range is quite satisfying.
__________________
Main: Dual Tiberius Pistols 9.1/8.1 FS Only
Secondary: Dual Tiberius Pistols Custom Polished Non-FS
Pistol Rigs: 6-12 Mag Dual Pistol Rig, Single Pistol 4 Mag Rig
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Nocturnal
 
LUKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fiddler's Green

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Spools them up faster. They lose a bit of accuracy while they spin up outside the barrel.
That I disagree with. First strike rounds are akin in some ways to rifled shotgun slugs designed for use with smooth bore shot guns. The projectiles themselves are rifled as opposed to the barrel. If what you said was truly the case, then you'd see far more rifled bullets used in rifled barrels for, say, distance/competition shooters or hunters. However, most rifle bullets are boat-tailed, with a soft jacket or bullet medium (lead) that "scores" slightly on the way out, and spin is imparted.

Most shotgun manufacturers do not suggest using rifled slugs in rifled shotgun barrels. The reason is, the twist rates are often different, causing significant drag, shedding of material and potential damage to the bore, and instability during flight. If we put this into paintball terms, we're probably looking at a lot of bore breaks or wild flyers.

Even if we managed to get the exact twist rate match of bore rifling and projectile...(which is highly unlikely, as first strikes are stamped out by the thousands, made of a relatively weak porous substance, and would have to be quality controlled so much as to make the production cost prohibitive)...I suspect you'd dramatically increase the drag on the projectile as the fins travelled within narrow channels. Even the slightest bit of debris or residue lodged in a groove would trip up an exiting projectile. You're exposing the projectile to more contact with surface area, not less, by mating up lands to grooves...more friction.

As for "losing accuracy", ALL projectiles technically lose, then regain some while in horizontal trajectory. There's the climb, the apex of the arc, then the fall. However, the difference is minimal.
__________________
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill
Sometimes there's justice...and sometimes there's just us

My MCB feedback

Last edited by LUKE; 03-02-2012 at 05:26 AM.
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19
 
minimag03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC

AKA Fan
Thumbs up

The niche markets in paintball have kept some of our favorite businesses alive in this always-changing industry for decades. But is scenario paintball even a "niche market" in paintball anymore? I have noticed that a lot more speedball-based fields failing when compared to woodsball/scenario fields. Locally, I have noticed way more people at local scenarios than speedball events. Not only that, but I see a lot more families involved in woods ball. I remember going to the field when I was still pretty fresh (like 17) and watching a kid who was 6/7 years younger than me get dropped off with a gun worth more than the car a drove to the field in, only to be picked up 9 hours later.

With all the fuss about the FS rounds but the obviosus lack of a marker that truly take advantage of them, I'd say it was worth a shot on their part. I'm sure there are some scenario players that have been waiting for this EXACT marker. Something that was designed for FS rounds in mind, modeled after a firearm for that authentic, and is made FOR the scenario player. I'm sure the same scenario player would wonder why AGGlets want new Ego or even why we would want the newest CCM S6.T2JL.... It's because these markers/products were made with the appropriate consumers in mind.

And one thing that is important for all of us to remember is how fast the scenario portion of paintball is growing (or should I say regenerating?). I have seen a few woodsball-specific products that I never thought would last, but they sure seem to be doing better than I ever expected. And I guess that makes sense, as it's an entire portion portion of our sport now. It's def not 2k5 anymore...semis and pumps have found their way back and people are starting to want cooler/unique gear and not just the newest 2014, fastest 49bps, and most shiny chrome space dildo available

I'll stop rambling now... 5:30 in the am...wow...
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Waco, Texas

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I actually really like it it looks almost exactly like my savage m10 with an xlr chassis system I've gotten pretty good with it being able to change mags quickly and I just love the overall feel if I could move this over to a Paintball platform I can foresee a lot of local players being unhappy with me and the cool thing is my savage has a 20" barrel so with a barrel of similar length the marker and my rifle would be virtually identical and I'm not just talking about static shooting either I can shoot pretty good on the move with it too

XLR Industries | evolution
__________________
"Speak softly and carry a big stick, if that don't work, start yellin' and grab a shotgun"-Bill engvall.

FEEDBACK http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #25 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!
 
Jkoselka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Formerly Green

CCM Fan
#1 reason this is great.....NOT RAP4!!!!! Winning!!!!!
__________________
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bada$$ speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
FLUFFY BUNNIES PUMP

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
blackrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Send a message via AIM to blackrain

I like this gun. However I would never sport one unless I could get a greater distance. Actually a grand isn't really that much. You have to look at the R&D put into this thing. I'm sure several versions were made before this final product came out.

This gun has alot of options. I personally like the bottle in the stock. Hopefully it is very air efficient.

Woods is here to stay guys lets embrace what should have been done yrs ago for this sport Companies have finally realized the Woodsballer/rec player is were the money really is

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
starts off small at first
 
splattttttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bean Town, U.S.A.

Sounds to me like they haven't yet finished the mag? Till then...

__________________
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others which have been tried." Winston Churchill

THE-SHOOTIST Anyone chubbin' like me for this?
mailmanmike Since Monday! That's more than 4 hours though, so according to those cialis ads I should see my doctor.
tlane77 I think for a non-chemical chubby it's 6 hours before its time to see a doctor. So you should be good for another couple hours.
splattttttt I wasn't goin to google "chubbin" because I assumed it had to do with fat. The lard type, not the fun stuff. But what ever feelings Jeff's experiencing, then they must be of the fun like stuff...
tlane77 He's got a woody for your woods.
splattttttt land
splattttttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
ala koskaan anna periksi
 
Helghast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Waterloo Ontario

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Honestly, comparing this to the practicality of playing with my lever'ed KP, I'd say that this is probably more practical because 1. I wouldn't have to change 12g's, 2. reloading would be faster 3. its probably more consistent. Drawbacks: 1. it's not brass 2. it doesn't have a lever 3. it's not brass 4. it's not brass
__________________
Proud Member of UMS Guerillas JTF7

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Helghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
Underdog? I got your back
 
RatFink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Under a De Facto government in the USA

I'm still saving my money for an air strike...


and I hear the predator missile will be out next year!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #30 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0
 
Chappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Secretly policing you...

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman View Post
When's the last time you've played a field where a "sniper rifle" was useful?
About once a month.
__________________

"I wanna be as big as a mountain.
I wanna fly as high as the sun.
I wanna know what the rent's like in heaven.
I wanna know
Where the river goes..."
STP

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC