mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
ACI?

What ever happened to ACI?

My first gun was an F4, still have it, still love it, still use it, well at least once a year.

The only ACI guns I ever see are the F4's and their 1 pump gun (Maverick?)

Were the rest junk? I know they had some Mech and electro STBB's other than the F4.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lemmesee...

I'm unclear on how the transition from FASTTech to ACI went, but I do know that ACI made the original Trracer for NPS and also the undercocking version called the Tagmaster. They later sold the guns themselves as the Maverick and Hornet, respectively.

After the F4 the next gun ACI came up with was the Griffin, which was basically a smaller, cheaper version with a .45 grip.
Soon after that ACI started marketing their Bulldog HPA systems, which I think were re-branded Crossfires, and released an electronic version of the Griffin called the Sonic Griffin which I believe was the first-ever FASOR design on the market.

Around 2003 or so they started getting OEM guns in from Taiwan like the Sinister, which was more of a traditional Spyder clone than the F4 or Griffin.

A few years after that were the Felon, Korrupt, and Blind Rage, which were re-branded Black Dragun type markers with various grip frames.

After that, nothing.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

The history is fuzzy to me for the trracer / tagmaster line but as I remember the Maverick and Hornet were first (ACI branded) and the Tagmaster and Trracer came later. I think some early Trracers might have been ACI branded but most Trracers and Tagmasters are PMI branded. The timeline is kind of screwy I think because it was really just a rebranded version of the same gun.

As far as the company, they just seemed to fade away and eventually disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

I think thats probably opposite of what really happened. I believe PMI bought out the razorback design, updated it with a removable barrel and other improvements, and marketed it as the trracer/tagmaster. The trracer under went some sublte upgrades (anti double feed, anti double cocking) and then was bought by ACI. ACI then updates the line to the maverick/hornet range and then had some other improvements.

The story of the F4 is similar, going back to the F1 design being made by another party, bought out by someone else entirely in the f2 (I cant remember if the F2 was FASTEC, but the AFT pistol was them) then ACI bought out that design and made the F4. That design was later sold to brass eagle who made the raptor from that design.

It would be hard to say that ACI had a long history as a marker desinger, just for a handful of years as a manufacturer. I cant really think of many other 'ACI' markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
Vampirism is no joke get tested.
spymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
IIRC, they merged with System X and subsequently went poof.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

that would do it. System X was a steaming pile from day one.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

so, were do we find parts?

Smiley
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

here

like I said, 95% of the raptor will fit in your f4, and your trracer/tagmaster/hornet/maverick has a lot more options.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spymongoose View Post
I think thats probably opposite of what really happened. I believe PMI bought out the razorback design, updated it with a removable barrel and other improvements, and marketed it as the trracer/tagmaster. The trracer under went some sublte upgrades (anti double feed, anti double cocking) and then was bought by ACI. ACI then updates the line to the maverick/hornet range and then had some other improvements.
...but all of the PMI Trracer's I've had (dozens) also had the "By ACI" logo on them.

Also, like you said, there were some improvements to the Trracer line across its lifetime (early ones even had traditional full-length powertubes). I've seen Trracers with and without the anti-double feed and other upgrades, but all the Mavericks I've seen had them.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spymongoose View Post

The story of the F4 is similar, going back to the F1 design being made by another party, bought out by someone else entirely in the f2 (I cant remember if the F2 was FASTEC, but the AFT pistol was them) then ACI bought out that design and made the F4. That design was later sold to brass eagle who made the raptor from that design.

It would be hard to say that ACI had a long history as a marker desinger, just for a handful of years as a manufacturer. I cant really think of many other 'ACI' markers.
Yeah you probably right. Seems like the PMI branded pumps and the ACI ones were on the market at the same time. Maybe an inventory thing, not sure.

The F series probably happened around the F4. I think the F2s were FAST. The F4s evolved quite a bit as well. The really early ones looked an awful lot like an F2 with the goofy top cocking thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone