mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTRUsound View Post
Not trying to state anything about his gun, but does it seem "hot" (loud) to anyone but me. I mean if my gun has to fire at a very high pressure like his sounds, just imagine what it will feel like when the ball breaks! All I can think of is welts. It almost reminds me of... Sorry forgot what the stuff was called but I remember it had blue paint and was sold at Wally World.
what does sound have to do with how they break? That's just silly.

I don't hear the difference - but 300 fps is 300 fps. porting and paint to barrel fit change the sound signature significantly.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
It looks and sounds a lot like the ProBall we used to get back in the late 90s. THAT was a great product. Very round and accurate with super thick, brite fill. It dried to a waxy substance that scraped off pretty well. Best of all it was perfect for .687/.688 barrel...
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I'm always up for a test with a couple of different guns I have, anyone have access to some let me know. I'll gladly put it to the test against some other paint, cheap and expensive.
no one has any yet. PunkWorks is at the top of the list with some field owners. We'll do a full set of tests once it starts shipping.

The ones they're testing are basically hand made in small batches. The delays have all been in the increase to production scale - not the product.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

Sound amounts to the amount of pressure it will take to break the ball. If a gun has to be ran at 300 + FPS to break a ball, cool. What happens if you gun is set up to run at 250 fps or any other fps, will the ball still break. I guess unless you are the person in the video, how do you know his gun is firing at 300 FPS and not higher? Nothing against you "silly" but I would not use a paintball that I have to have my gun at 350 or higher FPS.
TeamTRUsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
It looks and sounds a lot like the ProBall we used to get back in the late 90s. THAT was a great product. Very round and accurate with super thick, brite fill. It dried to a waxy substance that scraped off pretty well. Best of all it was perfect for .687/.688 barrel...
Is that what it was. I recall once getting hit with something, reaching up to confirm the hit, and it was like peanut butter. A while later it was flakey and came off ok but there as no way anyone was going to simply wipe off a hit.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
ur my sister

even cheap hard paintballs break on targets when used in rental guns. i am not getting this higher pressure reasoning. makes a bigger difference how close or far your target is and how much momentum the ball has when it hits you. the harder the target the better, the softer and you may get a bounce. hell you can get bounces with all grades of paint depending on where you hit your target. you drop paint enough it will eventually break. some break better than others. there is safety involved and they can't produce a paintball that is so hard it breaks the safety gear we all are supposed to wear.

MY FEEDBACK
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

CCM Works Sniper, Thumper, Kingman Hammer Low Pressure with Vertical ASA, TPX, Ion mech/closed bolt
joedirt199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Sound amounts to the amount of pressure it will take to break the ball. If a gun has to be ran at 300 + FPS to break a ball, cool. What happens if you gun is set up to run at 250 fps or any other fps, will the ball still break. I guess unless you are the person in the video, how do you know his gun is firing at 300 FPS and not higher? Nothing against you "silly" but I would not use a paintball that I have to have my gun at 350 or higher FPS.
Unless you can ID the gun, distance from camera, barrel porting pattern and paint to bore match you can't make any reasonable claims about how fast it was moving.

Plenty of people use paintballs that don't break regularly at 300 fps - and no, i don't choose to use them.

I've seen the shell on these - it's harder and more brittle than gelatin paint - it's better and should break like very high quality tourney paint.

I'm sorry - but you're taking crappy audio off a video and trying to extrapolate velocity from it - that's impossible with the info we have. Sure, they might be shooting at 650 feet per second or 120 fps - we don't know.

I could call Paul, hell anyone could call Paul, he's a friendly guy. The number's on the site. I'm really not that concerned about how the paint sounds on a youtube video. I've seen the components - I will test the paint when it comes out - but based on the first hand info I have I'm very excited about this product. And that's coming from a guy who has been accused of trying to disprove all kinds of paintball claims. I'm a skeptic by nature.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Is that what it was. I recall once getting hit with something, reaching up to confirm the hit, and it was like peanut butter. A while later it was flakey and came off ok but there as no way anyone was going to simply wipe off a hit.
Yeah, that was probably it. It was relatively expensive, but was my favorite product. Shot great, marked great. It's what I always bought when I could aford it. Much better than the Zap or Nelson I would buy if I couldn't get the ProBall.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #29 (permalink)

"I'm sorry - but you're taking crappy audio off a video and trying to extrapolate velocity from it - that's impossible with the info we have. Sure, they might be shooting at 650 feet per second or 120 fps - we don't know."

This is true to my point. I think I wrote the question wrong, I was wondering more on the breaking point of the paintball. What FPS does it take for the paint to break? Sorry about the confusion.
TeamTRUsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:

This is true to my point. I think I wrote the question wrong, I was wondering more on the breaking point of the paintball. What FPS does it take for the paint to break? Sorry about the confusion.
gotcha - I thought you were saying that based on the sound signature of the video you thought they were shooting hot.

As to breakage for this stuff - the shell is much harder than standard paint - meaning more brittle as well. We'll do a full range of drop tests on it - but based on what I've seen it should break nicely.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone