mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
I've touched the fill and seen the shell material.
3+ year shelf life, 35-120 degrees F stable, super round, minimal seam, intent to match existing paintball prices, dries to powder - what's not to like?
I got one thing- weight. So far, all the weights mentioned are on the lighter side of balls currently in production. Lighter weight will increase sensitivity to crosswinds, and reduce the range.

Here's a potential thing- If these rounds hit bare skin and break, will they behave more like First Strike rounds, or Paintballs (assuming the same terminal energy).

Aside from those two things- they're great.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
As to breakage for this stuff - the shell is much harder than standard paint - meaning more brittle as well. We'll do a full range of drop tests on it - but based on what I've seen it should break nicely.
Hardness does not equate to brittleness. Did you break the shell and notice it was brittle or only noticed it was hard?

Quote:
3+ year shelf life, 35-120 degrees F stable, super round, minimal seam, intent to match existing paintball prices, dries to powder - what's not to like?
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I got one thing- weight. So far, all the weights mentioned are on the lighter side of balls currently in production. Lighter weight will increase sensitivity to crosswinds, and reduce the range.

Here's a potential thing- If these rounds hit bare skin and break, will they behave more like First Strike rounds, or Paintballs (assuming the same terminal energy).
I would like to see a wet target hit. I would like to see a real 'wipe' attempt. I would like to see hit comparisons using various named paint over the entire range of quality and price. I would like to see average weights.... and if they do in-fact have a measurable effect on accuracy.

Even if it's crap I have to agree with Bryce. The target customer for this stuff is fields not players. Shelf life, temperature, cheaper than traditional paint to produce, easy to clean. All of those are massive benefits to fields not really players.

Since >90% of paintball players are ignorant to gear data and only last a couple years anyways, it could shoot like white-box left in the sun and still dominate the market.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone